rattling noise at the passenger's seat belt area

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

I have an 08 SL premium package no leather, there is this noise coming from that area, it of course only happenes on bumpy roads. I tried to mess with the seat to see if that is the problem I moved the seat belt around nothing. I am still under warrenty but am afraid that I can't get that noise to happen at the dealer.

Anyone has this problem or has fixed this problem, let me know.

Thanks.

DELL
Car: 2010 BLACK ROGUE SL

DO YOU THINK I'T MIGHT BE SOMETHING IN YOUR HIDDEN COMPARTMENT ROLLING AROUND??????

DELL

philipa_240sx

I have noticed a similar noise coming from the passenger side of the center console. If you push/hold on the side of the console, right next to the passenger seat, it disappears.

The fix? The dealer can pull the console and apply some cloth/felt tape to stop the rubbing/rattle noises. Or you could do it yourself.

philipa_240sx

Here is another possible cause:

Recently, I have been getting loud rattle noises from the dash/console area. It only happens on strong crosswinds. Today I decided to look underneath...

The aluminum heat shield above the catalytic converter has bent and is rattling/rubbing against the exhaust. I have bent it back, but I need a more permanent fix. I don't think I have ever caught it up on anything so I suspect it was the result of very windy conditions... it likely catches wind like a sail.

I will try to post some pics later.

Jerry98vert

I have taken the car in twice for the center console rattle (of course it still makes a little noise) and this is not the center console. I took everything out of the glove box and still the noise, it could be the passanger door area, seat belt area, really I need someone to drive my car and look around. I was hitting the inside door with my hand to see if I can hear the noise and maybe the glove box door is rattling, next time I hear the rattle I will hold the the glove box door to see if that is the problem.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

philipa_240sx wrote:Here is another possible cause:

Recently, I have been getting loud rattle noises from the dash/console area. It only happens on strong crosswinds. Today I decided to look underneath...

The aluminum heat shield above the catalytic converter has bent and is rattling/rubbing against the exhaust. I have bent it back, but I need a more permanent fix. I don't think I have ever caught it up on anything so I suspect it was the result of very windy conditions... it likely catches wind like a sail.

I will try to post some pics later.
I just got back from a total 6 hour road trip and it was horrible, I had an intermittent loud rattle coming from the dash area, I assumed it was the plastic wiper cowl piece but I'm not sure, all I know it was loud and very annoying - I had to really crank the radio to mask the noise. (To make matters worse, my roof rack main rails went nuts and whistled loudly almost the entire time too!!).

Phil, if you could manage to grab a photo of the piece that was casuing the noise it would be much appreciated, this is a really significant problem, my wife was not happy after this trip!!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Well I decided to check my heat shield, and sure enough it was bent and touching the exhaust right at the spot where the cat converter is bolted on. I bent it back to where I think it is supposed to be, but it is such thin aluminum that it seems to still rattle around, if I tap it with my finger and it rattles against the frame now.

Anyway, it seems to be back where it's supposed to be so perhaps that fixed it. I'm still not convinced that this was the source of the noise, as the sound seemed to be coming directly from the plastic winshield wiper cowl, but it can't hurt to try. It took about 20 seconds to see the heat shield and bend it back - it's about the thinest gauge metal imaginable, so it bends as easy as paper.

As for a permanent fix, I'm stumped. It has to be something that can withstand the heat of the exhaust....I'd like to just cut some of it off as I can't imagine that little bit of thin metal has a very significant function, but I definately could be wrong.

I'm also going to remove the entire plastic cowl, clean it, and place foam tape down everywhere the plastic makes contact including all joints and hopefully my rattle noises will be a thing of the past....now roof rack whooooting noise is another issue!

Jerry98vert

Noise, Noise, Noise, Noise well I got someone to drive the Rogue and found the two areas the noise is coming from:

1. Passenger's seat belt at the floor level, there is a rattle when I hold the plastic at the seat belt the noise stops. Don't really know if I want Nissan to fix this problem or not.

2. The back seat passanger is a bit loose when you shake the seat the contact with the metal bracket that holds the seat so it doesn't flip down at that contact point is rattling, I will be taking this to Nissan in hopes just the seat needs to be screwed down or something.

Got to love the rattling noise.

gpsmoucer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Old thread but this might be helpful...

Regarding the rattling back seat latch: I had this same problem on my 08 - can't believe more people haven't complained about it, truly maddening sound. The dealer intially said there wasn't anything they could do, but when my car was ready (it was in for the transmission update) one of their techs had seen another Rogue with the same complaint. The fix? Simply wrap some black electrical tape around the stationary part of the latch, for lack of knowing the right term, let's call it "the post." (the part that's fixed to the side of the car). No more sound for the last 8,000 miles. Note that you'll have to do this on both sides. One side on mine was rattling more, but they both were loose.

skholla
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue SL, 97 Acura EL

ive had my rogue in twice for rattling noises when driving on rough surfaces. once for driver side b-pillar (where the seat belt is) and the other for the passenger side dash (near the glove box). the driver b-pillar was quite for months after the fix but every once and a while it rattles in my ear, not as bad as before but it still rattles. the dealer fixed something behind passenger dash side panel, that rattling stopped for a month or two and then came back. also the passenger side b-pillar has begun rattling recently. i probably wont bother taking my rogue in for any more interior rattles unless its something really bad/annoying. i love my rogue but i have come to accept that the interior is not luxury car quiet and will have squeaks and rattles.

i do have one more new noise to add to the list and this one i will bring to the dealers attention. sometimes when changing gears (P>D, P>R, D>R, etc) or moving from stop i hear a short metallic rattle. i am thinking that it is either the cat heat shield or something more serious coming from the transmission. although i do remember the noise starting after a scheduled brake service (cleaning/adjustment) a few months ago but has since gotten louder. at first i though it was sticking brake calliper clips but i am not sure. any thoughts?

Leo2005

Just did my break service today. Replaced all brake pads as well as rotors with crossed/drilled. Found out that I have some noise coming out from front wheel like metal to metal. Took the wheel off and that was just rotor protector that located behind the rotor. Pushed it away from rotor a little bit and the noise is gone. Like some people saying it is so easy to replace the breaks on pretty new car but it was PITA to get rear brakes off. On my car it is 48k miles.

philipa_240sx

Leo2005 wrote:JTook the wheel off and that was just rotor protector that located behind the rotor. Pushed it away from rotor a little bit and the noise is gone. Like some people saying it is so easy to replace the breaks on pretty new car but it was PITA to get rear brakes off. On my car it is 48k miles.
Yeah, I think mine are rubbing as well. Just started.

As for the rotors... when reinstalling them, apply some anti-sieze grease (Permatex makes one type) to the wheel hub where it contacts the rotor. They will be far easier to separate later on.

philipa_240sx

Haha! Bent the rotor splash back, no more rubbing! Thanks for the tip Leo2005!

Leo2005

:dblthumb:

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

Can you post a photo of the piece that is rubbing? I want to check mine before I take it into the dealer.. I think mine may be the transmission though. :mad: It started very intermittently maybe 6 mos ago and is now more often. :cry:

kellyb
Car: 2016 quasqui

See if metal catch or the knot on the seat belt are not rubbing against the plastic cover on the car pillar .This plastic cover has hollow background that causes the rubbing to vibrate up the pillar and over to the handle over the door, or pur the seat belt on even if nobody in the passenger seat.

Return to “Rogue Forum”