Rack and Pinion Leaking

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
floydfan
Car: planes, trains, automobiles

Anybody have any experience with changing the rack and pinion in a '97 Maxima? I just discovered mine is leaking; the car has only 52K miles on it. I put in some stop leak for P/S, but I would imagine that won't last forever (if it stops the leak).

How hard is it to replace the rack? Is it a DIY project - I can turn a wrench somewhat.

FloydFan

NISTECH

DIY??

If you are not seriously mechanically inclined this is not for you.However if you find your self doing it. when you disconnect the steering coloum from the rack be 100% sure that steering wheel does not turn once its off or you'll screw up the clock spring/spiral cable. also you need to index the new rack to its center point so the steering wheel is straight when your done.

Other then the importance of the 2 alignments mentioned above the hardest part of the job is getting the damn thing out of the car. There is very little room to slide this thing through the openings at the wheels. it is held to the unibody by 4 or 5 17mm head bolts. held to the steering knuckles at the tie rod ends with 2 19mm castle nuts and cotter pins (1 per side) the return line and the pressure line. thats all that holds it in but it is just a real pain to slide it through.

floydfan

Thanks for the info Nistech. I hope I don't need to change the rack; I'll wait and see if it stops leaking. I have done a timing belt change on my '94 300ZX, along with the cam and crank seals, water pump, thermostat, etc. I have a garage full of tools, so I think I could probably tackle this.

I just wanted to make sure the engine didn't have to come out to get to it. One question I have is: How is the steering column attached to the rack? It is kind of hard to see and it is covered by a sleeve of some kind.

FloydFan

NISTECH

rubber boot held to the rack with a tie wrap holding it on. release the tie wrap and remove it. lift the boot and inside you will see a 12mm bolt compressing the pinch nut on the coloum. remove the 12 mm bolt and it will slide off when you remove the brackets bolted to the unibody.

floydfan

I'll keep a hard copy of this thread in case I need it later.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”