r32 prices when they hit 25 years

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
littlemimus
Car: mazdaspeed protege

what do you think prices of an r32 gtr are gonna look like once people can start importing them?

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

About $20k more than what you'd pay for one here in Japan. LOL!!! You guys are gonna get so snowballed when buying them after they are imported.

A mildly modified R32 GT-R sells for between 600,000 - 1,200,000 yen in decent condition.

This one is a MINT, BONE STOCK, low milage 1990 and it's 2,249,000 yen...or round about $24K USD give or take depending on the exchange rate.
http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/NI ... index.html

Here's a high mileage 1990 for 490,000 yen, or a tad over $5K USD.

So, yeah...you're Skylines aren't near as valuable as you're lead to believe..and I own one myself, so I know.
And you can almost guarantee that most of the ones that are going to be imported will be beat to hell high mileage ones.

What you will pay for, though, are parts. In Japan, anything made for a GT-R is damn near double the price over a standard Skyline or other type of car.

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

Are those artificially high?

The auctions on R International usually hover around $4-8k for 1990-ish GT-Rs in good condition. Mileage varies from 80k miles to 180k miles.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

No, those are actual prices. Goo Net is like Auto Trader over here. They have a group of car dealers that pay to advertise on that website. Those prices are usually non-negotiable, but sometimes you can get lucky.

I don't know R International. Will have to check them out.

And do you mean kilometers and not miles?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Ok, Just checked that site. That place is located in Japan and it's an auction house. Those places typically sell cars for about 75%-80% of what a dealer will charge. Things is, you have to pay a fee up front to get a license to buy from those types of places.

Plus, they say they will ship to the USA, but they have NO CLUE what the situation is with exporting a Skyline to the U.S. They are only looking to sell and make money. They won't deal with all the BS you have to go through to get the car legal in the U.S.

tyndago

Gold Digger wrote:Ok, Just checked that site. That place is located in Japan and it's an auction house. Those places typically sell cars for about 75%-80% of what a dealer will charge. Things is, you have to pay a fee up front to get a license to buy from those types of places.

Plus, they say they will ship to the USA, but they have NO CLUE what the situation is with exporting a Skyline to the U.S. They are only looking to sell and make money. They won't deal with all the BS you have to go through to get the car legal in the U.S.
I've known Hara from R International since I was at MotoRex. Last time he was here, I was talking to him about 25 year old cars. I think he was starting to understand. My business partners here in the US export cars to him in Japan. Its all not too big of a problem. Something I am happy to make work with an extra layer of protection, as I know the cars, the processes, and the people at both ends.

edthemanjp
Car: 1992 Skyline GTR

Gold Digger wrote:About $20k more than what you'd pay for one here in Japan. LOL!!! You guys are gonna get so snowballed when buying them after they are imported.

A mildly modified R32 GT-R sells for between 600,000 - 1,200,000 yen in decent condition.

This one is a MINT, BONE STOCK, low milage 1990 and it's 2,249,000 yen...or round about $24K USD give or take depending on the exchange rate.

Yes I like the 1st one but its riding really high, like a 4X4. I haven't seen anything that high in
a while

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

tyndago wrote:
Gold Digger wrote:Ok, Just checked that site. That place is located in Japan and it's an auction house. Those places typically sell cars for about 75%-80% of what a dealer will charge. Things is, you have to pay a fee up front to get a license to buy from those types of places.

I've known Hara from R International since I was at MotoRex. Last time he was here, I was talking to him about 25 year old cars. I think he was starting to understand. My business partners here in the US export cars to him in Japan. Its all not too big of a problem. Something I am happy to make work with an extra layer of protection, as I know the cars, the processes, and the people at both ends.
Sorry, Sean. I worded that wrong. I didn't mean that place in particular. I should have said, "Those places..." instead of they.

I have had so many people "representing dealers" here in Japan wanting to know if I could help them sell cars for export on NICO. I usually just don't reply as I am not the one to be asking...

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

Nonetheless very good information.

I feel like the whole importation game is just feared by so many because people don't bother looking into it and because of the stigma from people trying to cut corners. Though, I still think a nice GT-R can be had for $4k-$8k. Guessing it'd probably total up to around $10-14k by the time it's in your hands and you drive away with all your paperwork.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

try again.

tyndago

Raybrant wrote:Nonetheless very good information.

I feel like the whole importation game is just feared by so many because people don't bother looking into it and because of the stigma from people trying to cut corners. Though, I still think a nice GT-R can be had for $4k-$8k. Guessing it'd probably total up to around $10-14k by the time it's in your hands and you drive away with all your paperwork.
Right. You can do it right, and you can do it wrong. If you do it wrong, its a hard process.

For me its pretty easy, but customs is still not an organization to take lightly. They can make your good day into a bad one quickly. Throw a couple of late papers into the mix, and its $100+ a day of a car sitting at a port. The shipping companies are not always that nice to deal with.

themadscientist

Put your GT-R in a container with a dozen chinese refugees. They seem to make it through.

Cannonball996

I think it will depend on how many come on the market, there are already quite a few here, and plenty in canada.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Less than 8 grand in Canada.

They will become the new Civic, trust me. Most Skyline owners up here don't know much about them at all......

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/c ... 22845.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/c ... 92342.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/c ... 36775.html

Just a few examples.

Cannonball996

I dont know if they will become like the civic, especially in the states where people were paying 40-50 grand for legal R32s just a few years ago. but at the 25 year mark they are suppose to become legal in the US, I would expect the GTRs to be in the 10-15K range, depending on how many come up for sale here.

themadscientist

No. There are more than that here. It's supply and demand. Those that control the flow of them will determine the price. If multiple legitimate importers are in the market the price will be reasonable. If one or two major players lock up the supply chain expect to pay exotic prices for GT-Rs.

wheatie
Car: 91 R32 GTR

I've been curious about this as well, I'll be moving to the UK and could pick up an R32 GTR for around 10-12k anywhere from stock to slightly modified and in great shape. Just trying to decide if its worth the investment or not as I can import it back for FREE in 2016. Hopefully the prices after the 25 year mark at least stay a little high so I could keep some value in the car if I bought it haha.

asoomal

Most skylines I have seen here have been bagged to s***. Don't be fooled by the low kms, and be prepared for cheap and shoddy mods

wheatie
Car: 91 R32 GTR

asoomal wrote:Most skylines I have seen here have been bagged to s***. Don't be fooled by the low kms, and be prepared for cheap and shoddy mods
yea im going to try look at each one without regards to what the mileage said because some of it seems sketchy, and possibly an unmodded one. What type of cheap and shoddy mods are you referring to? I know about the common things done to Hondas but no so much these cars.

asoomal

Temperature probes jammed in radiators, random HKS/Tomei/Greddy parts sitting in the engine bays that do not go anywhere (half of the parts are gone such as boost controller solenoids, etc), broken body kits with missing pieces. I've also seen some JDM cars come with no anti freeze, just water...

themadscientist

And no thermostat. Giggety giggety! :gapteeth:

Zenki R

Gold Digger wrote:About $20k more than what you'd pay for one here in Japan. LOL!!! You guys are gonna get so snowballed when buying them after they are imported.

So, yeah...you're Skylines aren't near as valuable as you're lead to believe..and I own one myself, so I know.
And you can almost guarantee that most of the ones that are going to be imported will be beat to hell high mileage ones.

What you will pay for, though, are parts. In Japan, anything made for a GT-R is damn near double the price over a standard Skyline or other type of car.
Spot on mate! A friend from Tokyo showed me a mint example of 30k KM mileage light tuned BNR32 priced almost at par with that of the BNR34! Actually it just depends of the overall condition of the GT-R. Most Japs are honest and will not lie about the true state and condition of the car, there are cases though where the importers will change and even take some parts as the car arrives.

I've also read before that among the GT-R brothers, the GT-R32 is among the favorite by car enthusiasts / collector to be a sure fire must have classic because of it's untouched motorsports history that literally shook the sport in the 90s. Stuff like 29 official consec. race wins, land speed records, fastest AWD record holder, lap time records, changed group A rule books, being banned to compete, and most importantly this car was the reason people outside Japan tagged them GT-Rs as "Godzilla" for being too dominating during its time. ;)

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”