R32 GTS-4 information

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
midgeman
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I'm looking into importing a 1989 R32 GTS-4 RB20det from Japan and was wondering if anyone had information for me as far as common issues/things to replace/tips/tricks or helpful hints for me. I live in the colony of Virginia so sorry to any of you Aussies I don't get to see them as often as you do, and would much appreciate any feedback you can offer. I've tried to gather as much as I could online but there's little info available Well besides this post

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... 4&A=109199

midgeman

100 views and no replies? Are they that unheard of?

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

I've never heard of anyone importing the GTS-4 in the States. At that point, most everyone would rather have a GTR and its RB26 over the limited RB20.

midgeman

I know they aren't too expensive, but a GTR is still outta my price range.The poor man's GTR is the way for me at this point in my life

kabob

If the GTR is out of your price range, how are you going to afford the upkeep and mods on a GTS-4? Or even get one into the country since it's all cash to purchase the car and then even more cash to pay for importation, customs brokerage, customs duties, taxes and titling? Be careful you're not putting yourself behind the 8 ball financially chasing a Skyline.

midgeman

A nice clean GTR is like 20Gs you can pick up the 4 from 10 to 13

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

I guess your question would be more like, is the 4's AWD system the same as the R? Since the t has the same engine and much lighter, that's what most people go for if they don't want to drop the $$$ on a R. So unless the AWD is vital to you, most people consider the t to be the poor man's R. Or in my case, I really wanted a 4-door, so a 4-door t was my choice. Since the 4 is generally cheaper than a t, I also searched how to convert the 4's AWD to a RWD, and it's an absolute PITA, even though you can simply pull the fuse like the R to inactivate the FWD.

midgeman

I want the AWD because Ive never had a car with AWD. I can deal with the extra weight even though it still has the rb20det.And also I don't wanna blow all my money on a GTR because I wouldn't have money leftover for insurance,registration,upgrades or repairs.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Hmm, if you are running tight, then I suggest stay away from the AWD. In my past experience simpler is always better, one less transfer box means one less item to maintain or to go wrong. Reason being the AWD is not only mechanically controlled, it has many electronic elements as well. I have not googled the reliability of a R's AWD, but maybe you can try that, I image the systems would be similar.

midgeman

I already know of the Attessa system that was not my question mates!No offense but i think my post was misread, I was not looking for people's opinion on what car to buy I wanted to know if anybody had any eexperience with common problems or things they would replace first on the particualr model

kabob

I understood you and that's what why I said I'd never heard of anyone having bought/brought one here in the States. You're probably looking at parts costs somewhere in-between a GTS-T and a GTR. There are plenty of resources to check with what to replace on a Skyline AWD drivetrain and even more on the RB20DET, especially on Zilvia and other 240sx sites since it's a common swap.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

the gts-t is a money pig mine is anyway,awd is ok however fluids will be very costly just upkeep on a 20yr old car is crazy replace every rubber on/under the hood, or leaks will be the biggest pain,rear main seals,o rings.man there is to much to list give me a day or two and I'll tell every thing that went/is going wrong with my gts t

midgeman

I have heard that you want to get a new intercooler and turbo for the rb20.I thought maybe there'd be more problems specific to the 4 itself, but I guess it really is just a GTS-T with an AWD transfer case and the rear mounted Attessa system (at least I know it's in the rear for R32s).I wasn't throwing a BF in the slightest lol I was just expecting someone to have one.Jbracy I'd love to have that list btw.I know since it's an 89, and even if it has low (or at least relatively low) mileage on it I'll still replace all seals,belts,o rings and what have you.Also sorry to any forum warriors if this turns into an rb20/gts-esque post!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I had a GTS-4. Good condition, FMIC, RB25 turbo, full exhaust, and piggyback fuel controller. It was a pig from a stop, but swift and confidence-inspiring at top speed. In that configuration it topped out around 150mph.

The RB20 doesn't have the balls to really make use of the AWD system and it will leave you wanting for a 25 or 26 under the hood more than a GTS-T would.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

I know of at least a 1/2 dozen people bringing in GTS-4s through Rivsu. I have seen a couple from GTR garage as well and Japanese classics have sold 2-3 as well I believe. I bought a GTST, but I could definitely see the allure of being able to have a 4 door if I had kids or just wanted to be able to bring more than a friend in the car. Even if my car didn't have a cage in it, there is not a chance in hell that someone would be comfortable in the back seat for very long.....

as for tricks or things you need to know special? My GTST had ~72k miles on it. The fuel filters needed replacing and fresh gas and I replaced all of the fluids. I haven't touched the belts and haven't cared enough about the AC to see why that isn't working just yet (parts are all there think the controller is FUBAR).

Beyond that it is a 25 year old nissan and needs the same basics upkeeps and repairs a 240sx or 300zx of the same era needs.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”