R32 GTR Care.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

So I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, and I was hoping to get some advice/info on what I should use for upkeep of the RB26 and the Car from folks that have these cars. I did do some searching on this site and others and found lots of different answers. So what kind of oil/oil filter do ya'll use? What octane does it run best on (im guessing the highest avalible), and which will be just good enough since gas is getting expensive. Should I use any engine oil additives?(I dont think I am going to but your suggestions are welcome) What transmission fluid should I use. Spark plug suggestions and anyother car maintenace items or fluids you might use. Thanks in advance.

O yeah, I went and got a 15W-50 full synthetic oil b/c I read that on many sites, and I also got a Drive Joy V9111-0102 oil filter.

i wanaskyline

So I go to change the oil and I find RTV on the plug bolt. I then remove the RTV and the plug to find that the pan is stripped. The help at the maintenance shop on base said the pan was aluminum and not stock.I was told I would have to drop the engine to put a new pan in. is there any other options to fix the pan without getting a new one.

I just did some research on the subject. I have never stripped a pan before so I didnt know there was so many different ways to fix the problem. Is there any that some of you would recommend. thanks!

StricNyne

if u wanna do it the half a** way than yes, u can buy those expanding rubber drains bolts, but your engine is as strong as its weakerst point and do you want to risk your engine on that

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

i wanaskyline wrote:The help at the maintenance shop on base said the pan was aluminum and not stock.I was told I would have to drop the engine to put a new pan in. is there any other options to fix the pan without getting a new one.
All GT-R pans are aluminum. Imagine hanging a front diff from a stamped steel pan. :facepalm: Whoever you were talking to was at best misinformed, more likely just an idiot. Disregard all future things he says.

If you want to leave the engine in you may be able to support it across the strut towers and drop the cross member to allow you to drop the oil pan. I would tap the drain plug hole for a larger drain plug after that. You can't be sure there aren't shavings in the pan with it bolted to the motor.

tyndago

themadscientist wrote:If you want to leave the engine in you may be able to support it across the strut towers and drop the cross member to allow you to drop the oil pan. I would tap the drain plug hole for a larger drain plug after that. You can't be sure there aren't shavings in the pan with it bolted to the motor.
I really highly not recommend doing this. The oil pan is heavy, its tough to get lined up, and if you do like what I did, the lifting bracket on the engine slipped, the the whole lot dropped down about 4 inches when I was under it.

Dying under an RB26 is not on my list of things to do, so from then on, if the pan has to come out, pull the engine.

You can fix the pan with a helicoil. Its a pretty simple operation.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Better than dieing under a fat chick when she has a heart attack in the cowgirl position. You think the helicoil will seal where it contacts the pan?

i wanaskyline

Thanks Ya'll for the help. I have a couple of GTR owners here that said they would give me a hand!

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

i wanaskyline wrote:So I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, and I was hoping to get some advice/info on what I should use for upkeep of the RB26 and the Car from folks that have these cars. I did do some searching on this site and others and found lots of different answers. So what kind of oil/oil filter do ya'll use? What octane does it run best on (im guessing the highest avalible), and which will be just good enough since gas is getting expensive. Should I use any engine oil additives?(I dont think I am going to but your suggestions are welcome) What transmission fluid should I use. Spark plug suggestions and anyother car maintenace items or fluids you might use. Thanks in advance.

O yeah, I went and got a 15W-50 full synthetic oil b/c I read that on many sites, and I also got a Drive Joy V9111-0102 oil filter.
I used mobile1 in my old R32 wtih a mobile filter. I doubt you'll be tracking your car so any good brand of oil is fine. Aomori Prefecture gets cold so, if you plan on driving during the winter, get a supporting viscosity. Go to a local Yellow Hat and/or AutoBacs and see what they recommend.

As far as Octane, I used nothing but Shell V-power (highest octane). I recommend you use Shell or Eneos don't fill you precious GTR with the cheap stuff (esp base gasoline). Moreover, your car is old and who knows what condition it's in. The Shell gas has detergents that can help clean your injectors and/or fuel system.

Don't use engine additives, crazy.

I used OEM fluid in the trans. Is there a reason you should use otherwise? Are you tracking your GTR regularly? OEM can be expensive but it was designed for the GTR trans and it's probably your safest bet.

As far as maintanence, make sure your turbos are still good and dont need repair or rebuilds. This is something you won't be able to do yourself so get your GTR buddies to work with you. Make give you their opinion on your engine condition as much as possible. Check your PS fluid - it'll probably need to be changed. Your Diff fluids will proably need to be changed.

IMO, getting Nissan to check the vehicle is best. When I get another R32 I'm immediately taking it to Nissan so they can do a multi-point inspection. Its going to be expensive but I'll need them to identify any possible problems I may have. I'm paying them for peace of mind.

themadscientist wrote: If you want to leave the engine in you may be able to support it across the strut towers and drop the cross member to allow you to drop the oil pan. I would tap the drain plug hole for a larger drain plug after that. You can't be sure there aren't shavings in the pan with it bolted to the motor.
Whoa, whoa. This guy doesn't seem to know much about cars. I can tell he's willing to learn but a problem such as oil pans should be handled but professionals.

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

i wanaskyline, BTW, please keep your eyes open for a R32 GTR. If you see one in Northern JP then let me know

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”