Qx4 Tune up?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
qx4dude
Car: QX4

Hey Guys

I wanted to do a tune up on my truck this weekend, and needed some suggestions of things that are good to do. Mostly just looking for things to keep the truck running smooth and help fuel milage.

So far I have:

Replaced the spark plugsAir FilterIntake resonator DeleteSynthetic oil change

I will be replacing the fuel filter this weekend as well. Any other suggestions would be great. My Truck has 152,000 km. Thanks!

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Looks like a solid list. Have you been running regular oil or synthetic the whole time? If you haven't been running synthetic I would suggest against changing over. I'm not sure why it's just what I hear from every mechanic. I'm guessing it's the "if it ain't broke..." mentality.

Billy

sc2nr
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 1998 Saturn SC2

Here is the link to the 2002 Pathfinder manual http://69.89.78.16/files/owner...n.pdf for oil recommendation. I couldn't find one for the QX.

WPGQX4
Car: 1998 Qx4

There is absolutly no issue with changing to synthetic oil any time in your vehicles life. You will hear that it will make your vehicle leak oil. What happens is, over time using conventional oil your engine will get varnish and sludge build up. When you switch over to synthetic oil, it cleans your engine. It will clean any build up that has stopped any oil leaks in your gaskets. Once it's clean the gasket needs to swell to make up for the gap. Synthetic oil has gasket swelling additives like other oils. It may leak or sweat until the gaskets swell. If it continues to leak you needed to replace your gaskets any way.

A clean engine that may leak a bit of oil at the start is better than a dirty one that is causing more wear on the engine.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Hi.Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what year is your Q? I'm thinking more along the lines of which engine you might have.Maintenance requirements (things like timing belt vs. chain, as an example) will differ depending on what you have. Also things like ignition wires vs. coils.Thanks.

sc2nr
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 1998 Saturn SC2

Buzzman wrote:Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what year is your Q?
I found it in another post of his, its a 2002, that's why I posted the link for a 2002 Pathy Manual

Nick

qx4dude
Car: QX4

It is a 2002.

How often does the tranny oil, transfercase oil, and the diff oil need to be replaced? I have had my truck for 6 months but i have no clue when they need doing. Thanks!

ugharin
Car: 2000 QX4; 2002 QX4

qx4dude wrote:It is a 2002.

How often does the tranny oil, transfercase oil, and the diff oil need to be replaced? I have had my truck for 6 months but i have no clue when they need doing. Thanks!
At 152k, its about time to replace the tranny fluid and also the filter.

You have already done the oil and plugs. You could do the following too.

1) Transmission - drain and pour. Should take about 5.5 qts of fluid if you drop the pan. Change the filter as well. You'd need a 75winter90. Id do it every 25k miles. Or subsequently just drain around 2 qts from the plug and pour every 7k miles perhaps.

2) Differential - Drain and pour. Would take 3 qts approx. 80w90 is the spec although that'd be a little harder to find. Especially with synthetic. The front differential should take less fluid although I am not sure as mines a 2WD. 75w90 royal purple is often recommended here and will be what Id get the next change. Dont need to do this very often for strictly on road driving.

3) Transfer case - ATF. Should take around 3 qts IIRC.

4) Fuel filter - once a year.5) Air filter - its very cheap and a takes just a minute. So just about as often as you feel you could do with a new one. 6) PCV valve - once every 2-3 years. 7) Throttle body cleanup. every other year.8) MAF sensor cleanup. "8) Coolant flush. every other year. 9) Tires - rotation. Balancing and alignment if required. once a year. 10) Top off fluids. as applicable. 11) Propeller shaft grease/lube. 12) ignition coils as well.

WPGQX4
Car: 1998 Qx4

I can get any of the oil and filters you are looking for through Amsoil. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

anthonyerco
Car: ???

Kinda curious about this too. I just hit 120k on my 02 QX4 and I’m about to replace valve covers and spark plugs. I keep hearing about these power valve screws too??? And PCV valve. Trying to find a place that’s familiar with working on R50s near me. Last few times I’ve taken it to nissan or infinity, no mechanic knew why they were doing. Guess they aren’t used to working on vehicles from 18 years ago.

Buzzman

anthonyerco wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 am
I keep hearing about these power valve screws too??? And PCV valve. Trying to find a place that’s familiar with working on R50s near me. Last few times I’ve taken it to nissan or infinity, no mechanic knew why they were doing. Guess they aren’t used to working on vehicles from 18 years ago.
There's a sticky on the power valve screws, second from the bottom of the sticky list.
All the info is in there.
PCV is a PITA to replace. You have to remove the intake plenum to get at it. That's the bad news.
The good news is, if you're doing the power valve screws, you'll need to remove the intake plenum, which will allow you to replace the PCV while you're there.

Buzzman

anthonyerco wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 am
Trying to find a place that’s familiar with working on R50s near me. Last few times I’ve taken it to Nissan or Infiniti, no mechanic knew what they were doing. Guess they aren’t used to working on vehicles from 18 years ago.
The last R50 was in 2004, so yes, there's probably a lack of experience at most dealerships on these things.
In general, tech turnover is pretty high at dealerships, so experience is hard to come by.
On a positive note, if it's engine work you need, then there should be no excuse at the dealership, as the 3.5 engine has been a staple for Nissan since 2001.
It's been used across most Nissan and Infiniti products since then.

anthonyerco
Car: ???

Yeah I thought the same thing. 3 incorrect diagnosis later....... LOL

Wish I had pathfinder friends that would wrench with me n teach me. Starting to have some serious trust issues paying others to work on my car. Apparently, not many people can replace the entire AC system without any errors. I’m on my 3rd compressor warranty replacement now. Anyway, so anything else recommended for tune up? Should I do the timing chain? Someone told me it was common for the guides to break and pointed out what I thought was lifter noise might actually be the timing chain. I doubt it, I’ve heard a Nissan timing chain guide failure and it was loud. But while They are in there, should I just do it? There’s a kit for like 300. Already have new valve covers n gaskets, spark plugs, n was gonna do all flushes except trans. Just drain n fill. PCV valve also. Any advice would be great. Wanna get it alllllll done at one time to save a little on labor. Then it’s off to get a 2in lift, wheels n tires.

Buzzman

The previous (2000 and earlier) R50 had the smaller 3.3 engine with a timing belt.
The recommended replacement interval for the belt is 100,000 miles.
The 3.5 engine (2001 and newer R50's) has the timing chain which should not have to be replaced.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”