Qx4 transponder keys - programming question

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

Hi everyone! As you may know, I'm a newbie (from my low post count :gapteeth: ) to my newly acquired 2001 Qx4. As much as I love it, I was only given 1 set of key and key fob (1 transponder key and 1 keyless entry remote).

I share the fear with most that I might lose the keys and thus spoiling my drive for some time.

I perused the forums and found a site that sells blanks and key fobs for relatively cheap:

Key: http://www.originalkeyless.com/2001-Inf ... er-Key.htm ($25)

Remote: http://www.originalkeyless.com/2001-Inf ... Remote.htm ($50)

although I may end up buying the keys from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-200 ... ccessories

The situation here is in regards to "who" can program the blank key.
I called Nissan and Infiniti dealerships, and this is what I got:
Infiniti: $10 cut + $70 program
Nissan: $free cut + $60 program
I was told the program cost of $70/60 is for the labor, as they need to hook up a programmer to the car or something.
The interesting thing is that the Infiniti/Nissan dealership I called are 2 separate lots, but they are owned by the same Dealer owner(s)!!! :laugh:

Anyway - the BIG question is, does it matter if Nissan or Infiniti programs? Will Nissan be able to program my Infiniti key properly?

Logic tells me "YES, they're the same process", but I don't know for sure if they used the same security processes or applications for the transponders and it's encoding.

Thanks in advance for any input! :wavey:

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

1. Go to your local Ace Hardware. They have the keys (at least for PF) and can
program them cheaper.
2. Be careful about the fobs. At least for PF, there are two different fobs with the same FCC number. The difference is in the MODEL: value on the back.

Chuck

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

I just thought I'd let you know that apparently Original Keyless is a bit shady. If you do a google search, you get alot of complaints. I was looking for a fob a while ago and just ended up going through ebay and paying something like $60 CAD.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=original+ ... =firefox-a

-Just something to consider

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

oh - well I'm thanking my stars that you posted up! I didn't even really think about reviewing them online. Geez! the trouble I could have got myself in.
My judgement is being affected by the enthusiasm with my Qx4 :p

Thanks, Chris.m!

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

Chuck Tribolet wrote:1. Go to your local Ace Hardware. They have the keys (at least for PF) and can
program them cheaper.
2. Be careful about the fobs. At least for PF, there are two different fobs with the same FCC number. The difference is in the MODEL: value on the back...
I went to ACE yesterday, and took a look at the key: that thing is significantly larger than the OEM-looking/aftermarket keys we can find on ebay for ~$10 to $15 a piece and ACE was going to charge me $70 for key, programming, and cut. The size was just a bit smaller than the OEM infiniti key-fob, but more rectangular, of course.

... and I understand those aftermarket ebay/immitation keys aren't guaranteed to have a "working" transponder - but for $15/key + $70 to cut & program, I think it'd be worth it to try the aftermarket.

I asked them if they would cut and program a key I brought in (ie. the ebay key), and they said "no" because of liability. If there were to not cut it correctly, their liability wouldn't be able to cover the loss of the blank key. Makes sense. I think I will go back and ask them if they will let me sign a waiver or something for the loss of the blank key.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

ACE $70 key cut and program. And if it doens't work, it's Ace's problem.
ebay 15+70 = $85 key cut and program.

No brainer. Ace.

Chuck

Chris.m
2001 BMW 530i

I've got a similar question; what is the best route to get a key in Canada?
I live in B.C. and the dealer quoted me $120 for the key and $45 to cut and program. As long as the key works and preferably says Nissan, I'm happy.
If I buy one (OEM) off Courtesy Parts, its $68 + $20(shipping) + Duty = most likley close to $100 or so at the end of the day.
There is also after-market keys on Ebay, I just can never really trust their compatibility charts.
Here are a few I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/00-01-02-04-05-06-NI ... 1e5e32e7db

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-SE ... 27b8698df2

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-2000-2001-Nissa ... 230da7fc6f

Has anyone had any luck with Ebay keys (can verify they're compatible) or know a way to get around the Dealer?

-Chris

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

Chris.m wrote:I've got a similar question; what is the best route to get a key in Canada?
I live in B.C. and the dealer quoted me $120 for the key and $45 to cut and program. As long as the key works and preferably says Nissan, I'm happy.
If I buy one (OEM) off Courtesy Parts, its $68 + $20(shipping) + Duty = most likley close to $100 or so at the end of the day.
There is also after-market keys on Ebay, I just can never really trust their compatibility charts.
Here are a few I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/00-01-02-04-05-06-NI ... 1e5e32e7db

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-SE ... 27b8698df2

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-2000-2001-Nissa ... 230da7fc6f

Has anyone had any luck with Ebay keys (can verify they're compatible) or know a way to get around the Dealer?

-Chris
Yes, ME ME ME! :chuckle:
Ok, serious now :gapteeth: , the keys I got are from ebay - 2keys.
In fact, the 3rd link you provided, the seller "carkeysolutions" is the same guy I purchased from.
He/they/she is located in Duluth, Georgia, USA.
I belive "carkeysolutions" has multiple EBay accounts and sells on all of them. I purchased 1 key from 2 different people:
1 from "professionalcarkeys" - Ebay link to the item I bought = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

1 from "carkeysolutions" - Ebay link to the item I bought = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=
Both came from the same land-address :squint: :rolleyes:

I had them cut & programmed at an Infiniti dealer; $60 to program (regardless of how many keys), but $10 to cut each key, totalling $80 to cut & prog both keys.

I've been using the ebay key for the last 1week or so, and it's been working fine for me. No issues whatsoever so far.

The 1 warning - if you looked at the Ebay links I provided, the "silver" part of the key body (ie. the resin/plastic) is not metal. My original Infiniti key is metal there.

All these ebay keys are, are copied keys, and they somehow created a mold to put over a "cheap" metal part of the key where you cut, to resemble OEM. I don't doubt at all that these were made in China or someplace similar (not racist - I'm chinese!!!) for dirt-cheap.
I've heard of some people say that the dealers or locksmiths wouldn't cut these Ebay keys because of the metal was not "pure" or something. My Infiniti dealer didn't complain or mention anything about it to me.

Here's my overall thought about these ebay keys (positive)
1. Funtionality (1-10): 10, so far working for me!
2. Durability/workmanship (1-10): 8, because it's not 100% OEM, but I expected that
3. Aesthetics (1-10): 8, again, I expected the part where the key-ring attaches to is metal, but not, they just painted it silver :spitout:
4. Overall (1-10): 9, one-point off because not 100% OEM, but it works! and cheaper than an OEM. MUCH cheaper
5. Refer to friend? Yes, I would - but I would give them the same warning to not expect 100% OEM, but that it looks the same.

PS.
I did try to find a local locksmith to cut & program my ebay keys - all of them waved me away saying that it would be a liability to cut a key "unique" that a customer brought in. Unique in that it said Infiniti and was a particular design. The liability resided in that if they somehow cut it wrong or poorly - they didn't wany to be liable to replace your key for you. I gave up my search and just let Infiniti do it.
Of course - Nissan dealerships should be able to do the same - there's not much difference between programming, and definitely not with cutting.

Good luck!
(sorry for being long-winded) :bigthumb:

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

In fact... here is a side-by-side of my original (left) and ebay (right)
There are 3 notable differences:
1. Infiniti insignia/logo is OEM = gold, whereas Ebay = silver
2. no metallic key-ring part of the key-body; ebay is just painted silver
3. key-shaft material is different

#1 - length is the same - from this distance, at a glance, you can't really tell which is original and which is ebay (white block out is due to my paranoia that someone online can create a copy of my key via the photo.

#2 - this is the "silvery" part I was talking about. Note how you can notice the sliver-paint worn off on the left/ebay key. The original is actual metallic material

#3 - this photo shows the difference in materials used to make the key-shaft material. The OEM/original key is silver colored. The Ebay key is bronzey looking.

Chris.m
2001 BMW 530i

Wow, thanks alot for your input, I'll give my 3rd link a shot now - If its same seller, its probably right chip.

Thanks again

-Chris

Shizelkadizal
Car: 2002 Infinii QX4

If you look at the original closely, you may see that it is chrome plated bronze so all that is missing is the chrome plating. Again look closely at the original and some of the chrome may be worn off and you'll see the bronze.

suzook

Shizelkadizal wrote:If you look at the original closely, you may see that it is chrome plated bronze so all that is missing is the chrome plating. Again look closely at the original and some of the chrome may be worn off and you'll see the bronze.
Almost 3 years later???? Wtf?? Lol.

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

well at least this allows me to provide an update :D
3 years later... my both of my ebay keys (transponder and cut) still work very well. No bending or warping of the key-shaft that I can notice, and keys still can unlock/operate all key cylinders (doors, rear hatch, glove box)

IamThFEAR
Car: 01 QX4 RWD

Happy New Years everyone,

Quick question. My keyless entry currently doesn't work. I've verified it's not the fobs. My question, is there anything else I can try or troubleshoot to resolve this? Could this be the issue... http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-QX4-THEFT-Se ... 76&vxp=mtr

I can get an aftermarket system installed for $120 but would love to get the factory working again if possible. I do get the blinker flash when programming but nothing happens after that.

Thanks!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Have you ensured all of the door switches are undamaged?

IamThFEAR

Thanks for the reply sir. Yes, all my switches seem fine. Now the rubber boot is missing off one of the rear doors but I think that shouldn't matter right? Also, when I turn the key in the door twice the rear doors do unlock.

IamThFEAR

You know what, I'm missing the hood boot as well...geez. Maybe lock the doors with the window down and pop the hood, see if the alarm goes off? If it doesn't probably a bad switch right?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Missing boots should be alright, but the switch could still be damaged I suppose. It wouldn't hurt to try popping the hood with the vehicle locked, yeah.

IamThFEAR

Well the alarm works and so does the hood switch apparently. I can't seem to find a rear hatch switch anywhere. I don't know, maybe my antenna for the remote is bad or something who knows. Does not appear to be a bad switch though. Was reading though the FSM for troubleshooting and my brain just glazed over heh!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

IamThFEAR wrote:Happy New Years everyone,

Quick question. My keyless entry currently doesn't work. I've verified it's not the fobs. My question, is there anything else I can try or troubleshoot to resolve this? Could this be the issue... http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-QX4-THEFT-Se ... 76&vxp=mtr

I can get an aftermarket system installed for $120 but would love to get the factory working again if possible. I do get the blinker flash when programming but nothing happens after that.

Thanks!
Ok, a few questions pop to mind.
"I've verified it's not the fobs." How did you verify it's not the fobs?
"I do get the blinker flash when programming" What precipitated the need to program the fobs?
"Well the alarm works" Is that the panic alarm, or an aftermarket alarm?

IamThFEAR

I got 2 fobs with the car, both were unable to be programmed using the specified procedure. So I bought two more on eBay, the newer style, both did not program. Chances of all 4 not working?? Infiniti techs also tried to program all 4, no dice. It's the factory panic alarm, if it's working correctly I heard the horn and the headlights were flashing when I popped the hood while armed.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Topics merged. IamThFEAR, your 4 FOB's may not correct. You need to verify the correct OEM part # for compatibility.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Be sure your factory remotes are correct according to this chart.

NismoPick
Car: 97 Infiniti QX4
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

IamThFEAR wrote:Infiniti techs also tried to program all 4, no dice.
I'm assuming the tech said he'd program them really quick for free? Did he check them on the Kent-Moore remote radio pad?

Last year I bought two separate remotes on ebay, neither would program. Took them to Infiniti & the tech checked them. One was dead, the other gave a signal, but the internals had been switched, so the frequency was actually wrong. Bought another on ebay and easily programmed it. Also bought another from a junk yard for $4.99. :)

Any time you buy a used remote, you take the risk of it being dead or tampered with.

IamThFEAR

Took me little while to find the merged thread heh! Ok so my Q was built in Feb 2000, its a 2001 model. The remote that came with it, from a used car dealer might I add, appears to be the 2W611 fob, I see Canada # matches that, except my fobs say MODEL/ 01A in lieu of the pic that shows MODEL/ A

Does it sound like I got the right one? If so maybe both are shot, and yea the one's I picked up on Ebay could both be crap.

Thanks everyone.

IamThFEAR

Oh boy....lol......if this is the issue I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time.....geez.

FCC ID: KBRASTU10 (Model/ 01A)

Freq: 315 MHz

LED: None

Buttons: 3 (Lock, Unlock, Panic)

Works on:

2001 Infiniti QX4 (production date >11/00 only)

gizmo134
Car: 01 qx4

Quick Question,

Just picked up a 2001 qx4, build date shows 7/00. Came with no keyless remotes whatsoever. Bought a KBRASTU15 of Amazon after seeing it work on someone elses 01, but no such luck for me. Called the dealer and was told I should need P/N 282682w611. Does anyone know which one that is? Can't find which model on the remote that works out too... Or has anyone been able to get the KBRASTU15 to work, and have an original they can pull the model off of?

thank you,
Chris

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Gizmo,

282682w611 is Model/ A. The Nissan branded version is 282682w601.
Last edited by asnorton44 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gizmo134
Car: 01 qx4

That's weird.... I know that the 15 works for some, but the /A and the 15 didn't work for you? Confusing...... any chance you have that A you want to sell? Hahaha
At this point I guess I'll just try to find an A, not sure why they're so damn expensive though :/

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

gizmo134 wrote:That's weird.... I know that the 15 works for some, but the /A and the 15 didn't work for you? Confusing...... any chance you have that A you want to sell? Hahaha
At this point I guess I'll just try to find an A, not sure why they're so damn expensive though :/
Well it turned out I did need Model/ A for a 2001 QX4 build 08/00. It was just a pain to program, took several tries.

I got mine from ebay for $30 and it was in excellent condition. I used this vendor:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/allkeyless_llc

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”