Questions regarding coils and coil harness

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Ok so yes, I'm an American with an R32 GT-R and was hoping you more experienced owners could help me out with a few questions. It seems like my car is missing a little and I figure it's a coil gone bad or the harness is cooked so:

1) I see a few after market makers of the coil harness, is there a company that makes a good one or one that holds up to heat better than stock? Or should I just find a stock replacement.

2) Basically the same question but for the coils. Are there after market coils that are better than stock or should I just get a stock replacement?

3) Did anyone ever produce a vented spark plug cover the RB26-DETT? I could run with out one, but they make the engine look so much nicer with it on.

whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

This is the harness I found but it's on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiring-Specialt ... ac&vxp=mtr

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Okada makes good coil packs but they are expensive. Most of the GT-R guys I know in Japan run those or the Split-Fire coil packs.

I think there is a company that makes aftermarket vented coil pack covers, but I can't remember who and I don't have my RB26 tuning magazine with me on the road. I'll see if I can't find out what company makes them.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Wiring Specialties makes quality RB harnesses right here in the USA and at much cheaper than the OEM Nissan price - they're often used by 240 owners for conversions:

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/wisprbcohabr1.html

One intriguing option I might go with if the time comes I need to work on my ignition system (I already inspected it and my car had good aftermarket coil packs and the harness was in good condition) is this ignitor elimination kit from RightDriveParts:

http://www.rightdriveparts.com/home/400 ... -gt-r.html

The OEM RB ignitor isn't cheap and at 645 Canadian this seems like a good alternative with the included new R34 coil packs and Wiring Specialties harness.

monte0704
Car: 1990 BNR32 GTR

If it counts for anything, I just bought an OEM harness off eBay for $110 with shipping. Part Number 24079-05U00

If you are looking at the plug, with the coil pack facing downward, like it would be in your motor, you are looking for 0.6-0.9 Ohms between the leftmost and center pins. Anything outside that, and you have probably found your issue.

For what it is worth, next time I do coil packs or this harness fries, I'm moving to the R34 coil packs, using the RightDriveParts kit that is linked above.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”