Questions for R32s imported from Canada to USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
surfevo
Car: 1998 Nissan 240sx

Hello All,

I am looking to import a 1990 R32 GTR from Canada. I am curious about how the border crossing goes for driving the GTR across meaning the process for getting across with the car. I know about the paper work required but I am wondering if the CBP officers pop the hood during the process.

I have found a couple of nice GTRs but ever single car seems to have at least pod filters and an exhaust. I know with the EPA rule it is original configuration but I am just wondering how strict they are driving it across the border versus importing through a port. I guess I can try and find someone who has a stock intake box if needed.

Also once the car is imported and is EPA exempt it can be modified, correct? Or is it a case of it only being exempt in original configuration? The car will be registered in Montana so I am not concerned with emission or smog testing by the state.

So anyone who has driven their R32 across the border from Canada please share your experiences please. :mike :ohno:

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

The original configuration thing isn't a super hard and fast rule. My car had a cage, pod filter, BOV, and 4" exhaust on the car and were blatantly obvious. It is more that the car is still a 2.0, 2.6, or w/e. All of the cars I have seen imported have been modified slightly in almost 100% of the cases. Not to worry on that front.

Stay away from engine swapped cars and you should be golden. Even though RB26's from later models have been swapped in and brought in through canada, I would advise against choosing that option. Just for safety sake as even once it is here and been "cleared" they can hit you on the backside if they decide that you knowing/unknowingly ignored the law.

once the car is state side, it is exempt from emissions standards. you are pretty well free to do w/e you please.

surfevo

So you drove yours across? did CBP pop your hood and inspect?

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Still gray market,dot will seize and crush it if they find it, i have a r32 brought in on a show and display, and they send inspectors to make sure i only display it,

surfevo

Jbracy7 I am talking about legally imported 1989 and as of yesterday 1990 R32s brought from Canada and imported under the 25 year rule.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

The HS-7 form did not specify, but you will need to meet the birthday of the month manufactured as well. So 01/1990 is now legal to be imported, but many of us are still waiting......

As far as modification, well I think the best way is to simply pick up the phone and call. I called my local port and talked to an actual customs officer. To simply put, it really depends on which officer you meet because each officer interprets the law differently, and it is 100% your own responsibility if the car does not pass in the officer's view.

surfevo

M35Squirrel the Canadian paperwork, just like our US paperwork only states the model year. So any 1990 model should be open for import through Canada.

I guess I could call the Canadian Border Patrol and ask but I was looking for experience other members have had first hand.

M35Squirrel

surfevo wrote:M35Squirrel the Canadian paperwork, just like our US paperwork only states the model year. So any 1990 model should be open for import through Canada.
Be careful there. Very very careful. If you think you can jump a beat because you bring the car through Canadian boarder instead of through a port, that car has just fallen into what Jbracy7 mentioned, a gray market car. You can import the car, get it registered, get insurance, drive it daily, even sell it to another buyer, it can still be a gray market car. If homeland security suddenly takes up interest in your car, it will be picked up and destroyed. The same case for an import from Australia because the cars there do not require deregistration from Japan.

I spoke to a couple brokers/importers, and they all state the month of manufacture is required. I trust their words/interpretations more than just me starring at the HS-7 form because they have a lot more to lose if something goes wrong.

surfevo

Below is something Sean Morris posted on his blog regarding the first 89' brought in by a guy from Canada. The CBP bases it on the model year but Paperwork from Japan states the month of manufacture on it so I am sure that is the caution:

"To answer the question. We personally checked in 2012, when we imported our NISMO Nissan GT-R's under Show or Display. US Customs told us it was too messy with month to month, that it was on the Calendar Year of manufacture. If you look at the 3520-1 it is very clear.The HS7 is a little more ambiguous." Sean Morris on GTRusablog.com

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Why take the risk?

surfevo

Not much risk for a Canadian car, worst case they turn you around at the boarder and you store the car till the date is up, but that is worst case. Also you can personally check out the car and drive it before purchase unlike a Japanese, Aus, or Uk import.

Anyone else with first hand experience bring a car in from the great white north?

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

I've got experience trying to buy one. I can tell you that most Canadian R32 owners treat them like Subarus and drive 'em all through winters until you're left with a literal rust bucket. Remember that they've had them for the last 10 years already and R32s are relatively cheap for them.

The rust-free and rust-minimal cars go for a mint nowadays as Canadian sellers are taking advantage of US demand. Be very choosy and be prepared to pay a little bit more for the convenience over purchasing overseas.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

surfevo wrote:So you drove yours across? did CBP pop your hood and inspect?
mine came in from Japan, via ship into the port of Jacksonville. was in inspected there, at the a separate DOT inspect, and once by the state. It cleared all 3 just fine.
jbracy7 wrote:Still gray market,dot will seize and crush it if they find it, i have a r32 brought in on a show and display, and they send inspectors to make sure i only display it,
This isn't factual at all. You can import a 25 year old car legally now. Does not have to be under show and display, and Show and display does not require it remain unmodified or have no aftermarket parts on it. Putting an RB30 in it will get you into hot water (before it arrives).
surfevo wrote:M35Squirrel the Canadian paperwork, just like our US paperwork only states the model year. So any 1990 model should be open for import through Canada.

I guess I could call the Canadian Border Patrol and ask but I was looking for experience other members have had first hand.
I went through this last year, I purchased my car in DEC and Trevor drove his car over 1/1/14 (was a DEC 89 car). He used this "canada only uses year argument", which at that point I wanted my car brought in through Canada and not have to wait as long. Heard back from DHS and they advised that the Birth MONTH and YEAR is what they go by, and using Canada paperwork as a argument might get the car in early, but it is still subject to seizure if/when it was caught up on. Using a "FAST" account will be able to take the vin number and pull up all the chassis information down to the nuts and bolts. Sure you might get it quicker, you might even make it past the boarder petrol (though they have gotten more up on the subject this year and are actually starting to get educated on the subject), but you will still be stuck watching your back for the rest of the years. If and when it is caught, it isn't "turn around and pay a fine" it is seized situation if it is caught.

speaking as someone who waited 10 months for a car. It is totally worth having everything 100% to not have to deal with if a, should a, might be... legal.

surfevo

The car I am looking at is a 89' so no worries on the early issue. I am more concerned if the border patrol pops the hood because the car I am looking at had pod filters and lots of painted or shiny parts under the hood. Cosmetic stuff but not stock so I wanted some first hand experience from members driving across the boarder.

M35Squirrel

Like I said, call that office and talk to an officer. Write down the name of the officer and ask which days he will be there.

My phone conversation with an officer (he was very nice and patient and answered a bunch of questions) went something like he personally does not care for an aftermarket air filter, but the other officers may. However, he made his point very clear that the responsibility is 100% on me, not an officer, to prove that this vehicle is in "factory condition" if an officer raises any doubt. An example he used was to contact a Nissan dealer technician to provide proof of support, which in this case is moot because R32s were never sold as dealer vehicle. So I asked him how would an officer know what is factory and what is not for an old small volume non-domestic vehicle, he told me again, it would not be any officer's liability if any doubt is raised, it would 100% on me to provide proofs and use any proofs possible.

So what is my solution? Since like you I will be bringing my car through the customs myself, I decided to get one with a completely stock powertrain, including the factory air box. But like you said, you can simply turnaround and drive back to Canada, which is a luxury I will not have, so I am just trying to be as safe as possible. If I want to get another car with shiny bits bolted on, I would not bring that through the customs myself, I would buy from an importer like Rivsu or GTR Garage. Again, if you look at their inventory you will find plenty of aftermarket parts, but that is not a risk one should risk personally.

kabob

"Original, unmodified condition" is an EPA requirement. Your best bet is to email or write to the EPA and get a letter/email stating that basic mods are okay (which they are) so that you can show the customs officer in case the issue comes up.

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

My brother got an 89 from Canada, crossed the border without a problem. The only issue was registering it but he got that done. It is completely rust free unmolested car.

surfevo

bundy26 did they check under the hood on his car? I know you said it was stock, but I am just curious.

Anyone else with personal experience crossing the border from Canada in a R32

kabob

There's a thread in GTRcanada.com that talked about a user having considerable grief getting his R32 across until he came at a different time and ran across a different agent. I'm at work and can't access the site from here but if you search through the importation subforum, you should be able to find it. I'll link it tomorrow from home if you haven't by then.

surfevo

Found it, Thank you Kabob!

IXION
Car: R32 SKYLINE GTR
Dodge Ram 2500

I brought my 1990 Skyline GT-R from Calgary to Houston when I moved 5 months ago with no problems. I've owned her nearly 8 years and garaged kept. The only time she gets wet is when she gets a wash. Never seen snow nor rain since I bought her. You'd be surprised how many Canadians love and care for their Skylines.

You won't have any trouble as long as it is 25 years or older. Best way is to find the build date on the car (month/year) and if it is 25 years from that date you're ok. But stay away from engine SWAPPED cars!!!

joshga

Hello all, i am about 90% ready to purchase a 1989 GTR from canada. I found one i liked, it has some minor mods... its putting down about 430whp. My question is, will the CBP let me bring this car over from canada through NY border if the car has a top mounted single turbo kit? it also has a FMIC among other things. The engine is the factory R32 engine, and not swapped.

I do not want to tip my hand to customs for them to start looking for single turbo kits. In my opnion, the car is in stock form as its still a turbo car, but i want to make sure before i book an expensive plane ticket and remove funds from my bank.

thank you for any assistance, i searched but did not come up with any first hand experience.

joshga

also, while the thought just came to mind, can anyone speak on the following question:

If the canadian owner brings his car into the US through the border, and I then purchase the car on the US side of the border, is that legal? how do you get the proper customs declaration papers? please forgive me if this is something that is not legal, i honestly dont know which is why i am asking. I want to make sure i do this 100% legally without hassle.

kabob

joshga wrote:Hello all, i am about 90% ready to purchase a 1989 GTR from canada. I found one i liked, it has some minor mods... its putting down about 430whp. My question is, will the CBP let me bring this car over from canada through NY border if the car has a top mounted single turbo kit? it also has a FMIC among other things. The engine is the factory R32 engine, and not swapped.

I do not want to tip my hand to customs for them to start looking for single turbo kits. In my opnion, the car is in stock form as its still a turbo car, but i want to make sure before i book an expensive plane ticket and remove funds from my bank.

thank you for any assistance, i searched but did not come up with any first hand experience.
Purely at the discretion of the CBP agent inspecting your car. There is no hard and fast definition of what "unmodified" condition consists of as the only thing that should definitely fail an inspection is a non-original engine/drivetrain swapped in.
joshga wrote:also, while the thought just came to mind, can anyone speak on the following question:

If the canadian owner brings his car into the US through the border, and I then purchase the car on the US side of the border, is that legal? how do you get the proper customs declaration papers? please forgive me if this is something that is not legal, i honestly dont know which is why i am asking. I want to make sure i do this 100% legally without hassle.
No, that's not legal. The car has to be purchased legally beforehand, and then imported legally by you, the US owner.

Thefloatplace
Car: 91 gts4

Hey all

I have a 91 gts4 that im importing come Jan. The car has been registered in canada for a few years. I actually used a jdm importer, based in canada, to purchase the car through. Aside from the Bill of Sale, and the EPA form and hs-7, is there anything else im going to need to get this beast home?

I got alot of info from this thread already. Thanks guys

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Thefloatplace wrote:Hey all

I have a 91 gts4 that im importing come Jan. The car has been registered in canada for a few years. I actually used a jdm importer, based in canada, to purchase the car through. Aside from the Bill of Sale, and the EPA form and hs-7, is there anything else im going to need to get this beast home?

I got alot of info from this thread already. Thanks guys
If it was registered in Canada then you'll need the Canadian ownership certificate, the bill of sale, EPA 3520-1, and DOT HS-7. CBP will require proof that the car is 25 years old with the month - for Japanese cars usually they ask for the Japanese Export Certificate. If you bought it from an importer with experience selling cars to the US then they should be able to provide the Export Certificate or alternate documentation to prove the month and year the car was made or registered.

Once you go to your MVD you'll need all of the above plus the Customs entry form CBP will give you. There's more info here on my blog:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/05/buying ... apers.html

Thefloatplace

Im clear on all the stuff, except the Canadian Ownership Cert, im guessing thats our version of a title? When i asked the seller about it, he referred to a Registration Card as a form.

He is a Canadian importer, so isnt very familiar with US laws. Just knows its 25 lol.

I guess that nissan doesnt put the month/year on the car itself, which is why i would need more info about it. Im guessing its depending on the cbp agent working on how tough itll be to get in. Do they typically accept printed out information from some of those sites?

Thefloatplace

Thank you, btw

Thefloatplace

If those sites arent good for them, i may just get it replaced from a replacement service i found online. Its 250 bucks though, which blows

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Thefloatplace wrote:Im clear on all the stuff, except the Canadian Ownership Cert, im guessing thats our version of a title? When i asked the seller about it, he referred to a Registration Card as a form.

He is a Canadian importer, so isnt very familiar with US laws. Just knows its 25 lol.

I guess that nissan doesnt put the month/year on the car itself, which is why i would need more info about it. Im guessing its depending on the cbp agent working on how tough itll be to get in. Do they typically accept printed out information from some of those sites?
Yes, the ownership certificate I'm referring to is whatever registration document is issued by the Canadian state the car was registered in. CBP will want proof of ownership and DMV will ask for a title which Canada doesn't use so you'll need that registration document.

The month of manufacture won't be on the car itself but you can look it up on FAST or certain websites based on the serial number. CBP has tightened up on requiring the month of manufacture so I doubt they'll take anything but an official form but you can try - the worst that can happen is you'll have to come back with a different document before they let you in. Anything official that states the car's month and year of manufacture OR the month and year of first registration will work though so does the importer you're buying from have nothing like that? I would have thought they'd keep at least some of the Japanese paperwork. My car came in through Canada as well and the importer still gave me the original export certificate.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”