questions about g37s brakes (reposted from engine topic)

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
PnL'sG37s
Car: 08 G37s, M/T, Ivory Pearl, R2C intake, Cusco strut bar

I have a couple of questions for you guys. 
Does the Sport edition come with Akebono brakes? I can clearly see that the rotors are huge, which the Akebono are, what 14 inch give or take. I want to dress these up a bit with some slotted rotors and new pads. So I was thinking of doing just that instead of buying a whole brake kit to keep the cost down. 
While doing some research on the subject I saw something called hook slotted rotors. Any body have any opinions on those.
thank you in advance. 

PnL'sG37s

So I just saw a non sport g37 and looked at their brakes. Guess the size of rotors are the same but the calipers are different?

Snypos
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe BS

The Sport package for the G does come with Akebono brake calipers for the front and rear and 14" rotors up front and I believe 13.5" rotors in the rear. The stock pads are a semi-metallic compound, standard street application, not too aggressive. When I wore down my pads I got the upgraded brake kit from Racing Brake (link below). It was around $2400 (including tax and shipping costs), but the kit includes 2-piece rotors (same size as stocks) for all 4 wheels, pads (your choice, I went with RB's ET500 which is a more aggressive semi-metallic blend than the stock pads, equal to Hawk HPS I think), SS lines, and RBF600. The kit fits to the stock Sports calipers and only requires shaving down a lip off of the wheel hub for the back tires. Install was very easy overall. I went with RB because they have the only brake kit with 2-piece rotors for the front AND the rear (other kits only have for fronts), and the rotors are slotted with holes embedded in the slots, but the beauty of these is that the rotors are forged this way from a mold rather than them cutting and drilling into blank pads (so less likely to crack). Weight loss with the 2-piece rotors is significant too, around 18 pounds total. I have the kit installed without the SS lines and still running DOT 3 (I want to see the difference, so the lines and RBF600 are going in later), and the kit has just been amazing so far. I've auto-crossed the G and do very spirited mountain runs and those pads just perform beyond expectation! It is pricing, but I think it's worth the money.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Packag ... g37s-p.htm

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

^^^ This guy beats his car :)

It all depends on what you are going to do with it. Akebono's by themselves are MUCH better than base and, from others who have swapped to them, better than the older Brembo's. Getting better pads is a must as is upgrading the brake fluid to something that can sustain higher temps as well. Higher-end rotors are nice if you are going to be aggressive with track days but for the occasional romp I've been fine with StopTech slotted (they are heavy as hell though).

Earlier this year I needed to true up my rotors and decided to try out Hawk HPS for the front. Hated them! Hard brake feel and less stopping power. I've since gone back to my P.mu (b force or NS, don't remember which ones) and the car brakes like a champ. No fade at all while beating the snot out of her the other weekend in the Blue Ridge mountains.

I'm running the following:
- StopTech slotted rotors
- StopTech SS lines
- ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 fluid
- P.mu front pads, Hawk HPS rear pads

FWIW, when I had my G35s sedan, with the 13" sport brakes, I had no issue with StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk pads on the front. They worked fine.

PnL'sG37s

Well thank you audtatious and synpos. I am looking for some track days but it will be my daily as well, so street ability is the up most importance. I honestly don't know which way I want to go for horsepower gains, either keep it N/A our go FI. But it seems like I need to choose before I start my engine build.
I think I am going to hold off and start the build backwards and start with transmission and either go for the brakes or suspension afterwards. So here is a question I've been searching for; can a stage two or three clutch kit be used for either N/A our FI, or do I need a twin clutch for the FI.
Thanks again

PnL'sG37s

All right, for those who read this and are like me with little knowledge or are wondering about the same thing, here is a link for more information about clutches.
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stori ... -clutches/
Anyways thanks again

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

Also on the g37's the Sedan with sports do not get the big brake kit. Only applies to the coupe.

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

Fezzik wrote:Also on the g37's the Sedan with sports do not get the big brake kit. Only applies to the coupe.
Not correct. My 11 G37S sedan has larger brakes than the G37S Journey or X sedans. If you ordered the Journey with the sport package you also got the bigger brakes. Both the S and the Journey with the S package came with 18" wheels to accommodate the brakes and included staggered tire sizes front to rear while the standard Journey and X have 17"s. The exception to this is the X which, even with the S package, still has 17" wheels and the standard brakes. I assume this has something to do with the all wheel drive on the X.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

I actually meant to put the G37x's. Thanks for catching my typo!!!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

You can always get a used set of Akebono and swap them onto the X. The Q50 sport AWD does come with Akebono's.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”