program key fob? 96 Max

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jeffadamshti
Car: art

Help, as I joggled my key in the ignition with it off last night, (its been not starting unless I jiggle it) the emerg flashers blinked, then nothing. I didn't think anything of it, but then the key fob stopped working. It does nothing now? Did I de-program it?

What started this, The car has been cutting off just after start up, sometimes when hot, sometimes cold. After I race the engine, its fine for a day or two... any ideas? Thanks, Jeff

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

Welcome to the board!

I'm not sure what it could be. I'll leave your thread here for a few days and see what kind of reponses it gets. If not enough, then I wil move it to Nissan Online Mechanic for you. :thumbup

jeffadamshti
Car: art

I de-programed it, here is how to fix it if anyone ever needs to re-program a nissan key fob. Car is still stalling, could it be ECU, radio face went dead, still plays but its so hot..? Might be fule filter.

I recently had to replace my remote, but I was unable to find anywhere on the Web the instructions for registering the remote unit with the car's computer. I eventually obtained the following instructions from an Infiniti Dealer and I have posted them below.

1.Get in & lock the doors2.Insert the key into the ignition 6 times within 15 seconds3.Hazard lights should flash4.Put key back into the ignition & turn to Accessory5.Press the master door lock (on drivers door arm rest) unlock/lock6.Hit the lock button on the remote7.Hazards should flash8.Pull key out and open the drivers door and then close it 9.It should be set

These instructions worked perfectly for me. If you have more than one remote, I believe that you repeat step 6 for each remote before performing step 8. However, I have not tried registering more than one remote.

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

I wonder why it wont start unless you jiggle the key though...

mateo

I am wondering if I need to reprogram my fob. It is the original - the J30 is 10 years old. The fob just recently stopped locking the doors. Now it doesn't want to unlock either. The only thing it does now is open the trunk. A new battery didn't resolve the issue.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

the microbuttons on the pc board in the transmitter might be bad. if your good with electronics, try replacing them. if not, buy a new transmitter.

NISTECH

they probably bacame de soldiered when you open it to replace the battery pull the board out and see if the buttons are just floating in there. the hazards flashed cause one of the buttons set the alarm.

JavaKitti
Car: computers, internet, learning about my car, reading, graphic design, writing

I have a 1996 Maxima SE. I just replaced the battery in my remote, and tried to re-program it. The hazards flashed the first time but not the second. Any other suggestion?

NISTECH

oh how many remotes do you have? are you trying to program more then one? and are you able to program at least one?

kbininger

RE: This whole reprogramming topic. Will this sequence also program the ignition keys to work with the ecm?
jeffadamshti wrote:I de-programed it, here is how to fix it if anyone ever needs to re-program a nissan key fob. Car is still stalling, could it be ECU, radio face went dead, still plays but its so hot..? Might be fule filter.

I recently had to replace my remote, but I was unable to find anywhere on the Web the instructions for registering the remote unit with the car's computer. I eventually obtained the following instructions from an Infiniti Dealer and I have posted them below.

1.Get in & lock the doors2.Insert the key into the ignition 6 times within 15 seconds3.Hazard lights should flash4.Put key back into the ignition & turn to Accessory5.Press the master door lock (on drivers door arm rest) unlock/lock6.Hit the lock button on the remote7.Hazards should flash8.Pull key out and open the drivers door and then close it 9.It should be set

These instructions worked perfectly for me. If you have more than one remote, I believe that you repeat step 6 for each remote before performing step 8. However, I have not tried registering more than one remote.

99WhiteSE

Nope...Unfortunately keys have to be programmed at the dealer and cost $$$$$. I got mine at a discount and it was around $80 out the door.

kbininger

OK. My problem is I have a used ecm and the dealer won't program it. Would rather sell me a new one at $800!

KRUZNBY
Car: 95 240SX SE

Quote »1.Get in & lock the doors2.Insert the key into the ignition 6 times within 15 seconds3.Hazard lights should flash4.Put key back into the ignition & turn to Accessory5.Press the master door lock (on drivers door arm rest) unlock/lock6.Hit the lock button on the remote7.Hazards should flash8.Pull key out and open the drivers door and then close it 9.It should be set[/quote]I just confirmed that this proceedure works for a 95 240sx SE s14I had a difficult time searching for an answer on how to program a new remote for this car, so this should help future searches.

Keywords: program, programing, keyless, entry.

NISTECH

yes it works on all nissans and infinitis with the factory installed alarms.

CDFixer
Car: Nissan Frontier

jeffadamshti wrote:I de-programed it, here is how to fix it if anyone ever needs to re-program a nissan key fob. Car is still stalling, could it be ECU, radio face went dead, still plays but its so hot..? Might be fule filter.

Just a note on the key fob programming.

I have a 2005 Maxima, and a 2007 Frontier (just purchased). I found that I could program my Maxima key fobs to work with my Frontier. I just used the proceedure above and it worked great, Now I only have to carry one key fob for both vehicles.

I don't know how many can work together but both of mine were the same shape, the Maxima had an extra button for the trunk, and the dealer said it would not work, but I had to try it anyway.

Also the procedure above does NOT erase all the codes, it just allows the programming of a new fob.

The procedure I used was a little different.according to my dealer I did step 4 (skipped step 5) and then step 6 After the hazards flashed, If you don't need to program any others, do step 8, if you need to program another, do step 5 and then 6. do this until all fobs are programed (Four MAX). Then do step 8, then you are done.

Cheers Jim

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”