Power window / sunroof fuse

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
rn240sx
Car: 12 Frontier V6 (supercharged)
98 240sx ka-t (fully built)
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

Both my power windows do not work from either door and my sunroof does not work either.. AS well as my techtom mdm-100 that is plugged into the port at the fuse panel...I pulled out the FSM and found the MAIN pwr window relay and pulled it out. I have 12V comming from the battery side (25A fuse at the fuse box in engine bay). However i do NOT have the 12V needed to click the relay coil over. I checked the ground side of the coil and it is a good ground source cause i used it to check for 12V on the battery side. SO i know the grnd is good on the coil side but the 12V side is NOT there...So i went over 2 the fuse box in the kick panel and CANNOT find any fuse labeled power windows / sunroof. So i went ahead and checked EVERY fuse on both sides and every fuse has 12V with ignition ON. I do not know where else to look for this 7.5 amp fuse that may be blown or missing. I checked every empty slot (dont know why cause i have not removed any fuses) just to make sure but every empty slot was EMPTY and there were no female clips in there so all fuses are accounted for.... except the one i need for the power windows / sunroof....The FSM states that 7.5 amp fuse is the # 1 in the fuse box but my fuse box does not have them labelled numerically, they are just labeled by use and fuse size. So i thought #1 would be the 1st fuse but it shows A/T control which im assuming means automatic transmission control...??? i have no idea, but i looked into that slot and there is nothing inside it...So, im lost and dont know where else to look.....

This is a 98 SE 240sxSo im back to sq one wondering where this fuse is..

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

UPDATE:Now that i also noticed that my Rear Defroster is not working... and according to the FSM, the pwr wondow relay and rear defroster relay are BOTH activated by the same 7.5 amp fuse that i CANNOT find....

svensko
Car: Stock 1995 240SX SE

There is a P/WINDOW fuse in the fusebox under the hood on my car (95 SE). I Just had this problem today and found it and thought I'd help you out.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

svensko wrote:There is a P/WINDOW fuse in the fusebox under the hood on my car (95 SE). I Just had this problem today and found it and thought I'd help you out.
OMFG... can u NOT read..??

this is what i wrote..

I pulled out the FSM and found the MAIN pwr window relay and pulled it out. I have 12V comming from the battery side (25A fuse at the fuse box in engine bay).

i clearly wrote that i HAVE power comming from that 25amp fuse that is in the fuse box in the engine bay that u r talking about...!! Thats not my problem..!!

step02

Wow, he was just trying to help you out. It would help if you had edited your post for easier reading.

How did you test your fuse?

driftingmy240sx
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx rb25det

the ony thing nissan uses 7.5 amp fuses for is the "electrinic parts" fuse. it will be in the fuse block in the car.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

step02 wrote:Wow, he was just trying to help you out. It would help if you had edited your post for easier reading.

How did you test your fuse?
He was just trying to help..?? He could have helped by READING and understanding what i wrote down.. I already checked that fuse that he mentioned... its clearly stated that i checked that fuse... and it checked out fine... That is why i got cocky. And edit my post for easier reading..?? My post is written out CLEAR and easy for everyone to understand. Its not my fault he MISSED the part where is says, THE 25 AMP fuse in the engine bay is good....

How did i test my fuse... easy.. by taking my DMM and grounding the black lead and taking the red lead and touching each side of the fuse (the thin metal spots on each side of the NUMERIC fuse value) and getting 12V on each side... which indicates the fuse is GOOD.

Im my own mechanic, i do all my 12V electronic installs, i think i know what im doing...

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:the ony thing nissan uses 7.5 amp fuses for is the "electrinic parts" fuse. it will be in the fuse block in the car.
Yes i found that fuse 2 weeks ago and it tests good in and out of the car...

Unfortunatley i need another S14 with pwr windows to help me find that fuse that controls all of those things. Until then, my car is garage'd until i can find the fuse that CONTROLS all those relays...

I dont know of any S14s locally, they are all S13's and their fuse box's are designed different.

driftingmy240sx

i have a s14 e-mail me the wirng diagram and whicj h fuse you are looking for and i will see if i can find it to help you out.i am a nissan master tech and have access to "ASIST" if more info is [email protected]

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:i have a s14 e-mail me the wirng diagram and whicj h fuse you are looking for and i will see if i can find it to help you out.i am a nissan master tech and have access to "ASIST" if more info is [email protected]
What wiring diagram do u need me to email u..?? Thats a waste of time. Do u have power windows..?? If so, then start pulling fuses from the kick panel till the windows STOP working..... Then tell me which fuse it was....

I dont think it gets anymore simple than that....

driftingmy240sx

i offered to help you and you decide to be belligerant. good luck.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:i offered to help you and you decide to be belligerant. good luck.
U offered to WASTE my time, not help.. There is a difference, but its obvious you cant SEE nor understand that..Im not being belligerant, just using common freaking sense... and im trying to fix this as EASY as possible... but some people obviously dont understand...Do me a favor and move on and someone out there that understands what fuse im looking for can take 5 min out of their busy lifestyle to go to their kick panel fuse box and start pulling fuses till their windows STOP working.... Once then they can TELL me which fuse it was so that i can start from there...

Oh but wait, thats too much work... my bad, ill do it the hard way

driftingmy240sx

the wiring diagram i have also shows that fuse as powering the dlc. which is like i said the elec parts fuse. the fuse in the kick plate thats highlighted in white. thats why a wiring diagram would help. but obviously you dont need any help.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:the wiring diagram i have also shows that fuse as powering the dlc. which is like i said the elec parts fuse. the fuse in the kick plate thats highlighted in white. thats why a wiring diagram would help. but obviously you dont need any help.
Let me REPEAT myself again, maybe u can understand...my FSM states that ALL the main control relays (4 in total), each relay is ACTIVATED by a 7.5 amp fuse LOCATED in the #1 position in the main fuse box. I went into this fuse box and CANNOT locate the #1 fuse.... WHY... cause NONE are labled numerically.... They are just labled for what they are...I DID find a 7.5 amp fuse on the TOP RIGHT labeled electronic parts... like u said. But why its not labled #1 as the FSM states beats the sh*t out of me. So i checked it AGAIN for a 3rd time and its GOOD. I have 12v on BOTH sides of the fuse which means power is passing thru it but not making its way to the relays.... There is obviously a break in the wire somewhere between the end of the fuse and the 1st relay it hits which is supposed to be the defroster relay. According to the fsm that wire goes FROM the fuse to the main def relay, then jumps to the pwr window relay, then jumps to the sunroof relay... Somewhere in between all that jumping, my techtom's 12V wire taps off there.... cause its dead also..

Now PLEASE tell me that i dont need any help cause im being too beligerant......... Ive done found and checked that fuse MANY times. I know what im doing

Going back to the original post... I obviously FOUND that fuse that i have been searching for for weeks and it is suppositly the #1 fuse according to the FSM... but its not which is what has caused this ENTIRE back and forth bickering.....

So the fuse is good, my problem is beyond that. Now how in the h*ll the windows and sunroof worked on the way to the auto parts store and stopped working when i came back home beats the crap out of me again.... that was a 15 min total time drive to and from there and 1.2 miles of total travel distance..... hmmm

driftingmy240sx

i pulled the power supply schematic for your car off of nissan asist. you have said you have power at fuse 1 which is the top right fuse in the block. that said you can eliminate the ignition relay1, you have power at w/r wire at window relay so that eliminates the circuit breaker.

if you do not have power at the green wire (pin 1) of the relay but you have it at the fuse the wire broke, which is what you have said. fuse 1 controls the following - mil, door chime, def, sunroof, cruise, windows and antitheft. if all of these items are "dead the break is most likely very close to the fuse.

95% of all wire breaks are 6 or less inches from a connector. looking at the harness layout it looks like the harness comes out of the fuse block and runs down the a-pillar to 4 relays. should be pretty easy to trace that wire with the kick plate removed and with the fuse block loose to gain access to the rear of it. with all the items being powered by this fuse there is probalby a splice jucntion that has broken.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:i pulled the power supply schematic for your car off of nissan asist. you have said you have power at fuse 1 which is the top right fuse in the block. that said you can eliminate the ignition relay1, you have power at w/r wire at window relay so that eliminates the circuit breaker.

if you do not have power at the green wire (pin 1) of the relay but you have it at the fuse the wire broke, which is what you have said. fuse 1 controls the following - mil, door chime, def, sunroof, cruise, windows and antitheft. if all of these items are "dead the break is most likely very close to the fuse.

95% of all wire breaks are 6 or less inches from a connector. looking at the harness layout it looks like the harness comes out of the fuse block and runs down the a-pillar to 4 relays. should be pretty easy to trace that wire with the kick plate removed and with the fuse block loose to gain access to the rear of it. with all the items being powered by this fuse there is probalby a splice jucntion that has broken.
Well, i already have that kick panel off, ill loosen the fuse block and trace the wire that comes after the fuse to see if there is a break close to it. I dont know how that wire broke loose (or whatever came loose or broke)cause i have not touched anything down there. Everything worked when i went to auto zone, then on the way back i got home, went to roll the windows up and NOTHING.... Just like that.

driftingmy240sx

did you ever find the problem with your windows?

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

driftingmy240sx wrote:did you ever find the problem with your windows?
yep, BROKEN fuse BUT check this out....!!!

I had a buddy with a 98 come over and sure as heck it was that 7.5 amp fuse on the top right... I went to my fuse block and pulled the fuse out and had 12v on one side.. which meant i had power going to that fuse. I grabbed the fuse and checked it and it DID have continuity...!! Put it back in, nothing worked.I took his fuse and put it in my fuse spot and everything worked like a charm.... finally !!!I took my fuse and put it into his car and NOTHING..!! I took his original fuse and put it back in and it all worked..!! Now somethings odd... with my fuse...I checked my fuse again which shows continuity (dead SHORT across both legs) and put it back in both cars and nothing works...I looked at the fuse and noticed that one of the legs had a hairline crack. When i pulled it out and tested it, the legs were touching and making contact... When i inserted the fuse into the slot (female ends) apparently the leg moved creating an open and not allowing the 12v to jump over...

I was able to hold the fuse and literally grab one leg and move it side to side and see how it would make contact one second and not the next..

Ill be damned..... how in the blue hell did that fuse leg just all of a sudden gain a hairline crack and cause all these problems.... making me go crazy, people telling me that im an idiot and i dont know what im doing and saying that im being a rude sob and dont want help.....

ive got that fuse on my wall as rememberance of the hell it put me thru.. hehe lmao...!!

driftingmy240sx

having worked on nissans for over 4 years i have found nissan stands for Nothing I So Stupid As Nissan

squirrl22
Car: 1995 s14 with s14sr20det(blacktop) and manual transmission swap, 3 inch ss exaust, stock intake incl

Where is the power window circuit breaker?What does it look like?I've done a bunch of searches- nothing comes up.Thanks!

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

squirrl22 wrote:Where is the power window circuit breaker?What does it look like?I've done a bunch of searches- nothing comes up.Thanks!
There are NO circuit breakers period.... Everything is FUSED..!!

squirrl22
Car: 1995 s14 with s14sr20det(blacktop) and manual transmission swap, 3 inch ss exaust, stock intake incl

The Nissan shop manual, page EL-157, clearly says there is a circuit breaker after the25A fuseable link, but before the power window relay terminal.

I need to know what the circuit breaker looks like and where it is located.as I have power to the 25A fuseable link, but no power to the power window terminal

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

squirrl22 wrote:The Nissan shop manual, page EL-157, clearly says there is a circuit breaker after the25A fuseable link, but before the power window relay terminal.

I need to know what the circuit breaker looks like and where it is located.as I have power to the 25A fuseable link, but no power to the power window terminal
i guess ur right, i never got to that point in the pwr window section as i had more things wrong other than the pwr windows...i have no clue what that breaker looks like nor where it can be. does the manual state a physical location on where it is..? heck, if it says there is one, then i would assume it would tell u where its located.... thats just common sense imo..!

squirrl22

No, nothing in the shop manual about location, or what it looks like. Just wiring diagrams and diagnostic procedures, but no explanation of what it looks like or where it's located.

Ladreik
Car: 92 240sx se Coupe

I need help with my power window assy, Passenger side went down but not up I could not find much info on diagrams and such but i am getting voltage to the switch. I did find one forum post of the power window Amp (or encoder) So i decided to search for it to test it... problem is I cant find it. From what I read it is connected with 2 screws but where is it located.

bodyboarder
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5SL

Dear all.Would anybody help me with sunroof problem in my car?

It's a 2003 nissan altima. My sunroof is going me crazy! It works today morning, it will not work in the afternoon, it might work for 2 weeks very well, then it'll be f#cked for other 2 weeks.

It's not about cogs, I am sure. I can solve the problem by removing the panel where the switch is located, then remove the harness that goes to the sunroof motor... but reconnecting again is not enough. I have to measure voltage on the harness pins... the first time i try to measure voltage it will read ZERO, but then I do it again and 12.80V become present!!! Then I connect the harness to the sunroof motor and it starts working!!!

I think that something (maybe a relay) restarts when I test it for voltage, but it will stop working -sometimes days, sometimes hours- later.

What can i do so it don't stop working??? Can anybody help me? Any idea?

I don't wanna buy the sunroof motor, becuase I am afraid the problem might be somewhere else, and it costs 500 USD here in Mexico.

Thanks in advance for your help

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”