Possible to turbo a vg30e

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
svairman
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

Now I know its possible to bolt on all the stock turbo parts with some bracket changes and such but what im asking is,is it possible to use the Vg30e's higher comp pistons with lower amounts of boost. I'd rather use stock boost levels though. I was thinking this could be accomplished using larger injectors, fuel pumps and Nistune. Has anybody tried this? I know Honda GSR and Type R guys have boosted stock high comp engines with impressive results but VG's aren't hondas

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

yes, I added the turbo to my n/a z31 (14 psi), with aftermarket injectors and megasquirt (see the link in my sig), tunign and intercooling are key, stock n/a injectors are of course way too small, and depending on your power gioals the stock turbo injectors might also be small, if you want to run the turbo in the stock location you'll still need to swap out the front crossmember for the turbo crossmember, satan makes a turbo relocation manifold but you'll have to fab a downpipe to use it

svairman

yeah, i've seen some of his manifolds, they look really nice and a top mount would be ideal for ease of access etc, but I'd like to retain AC. If I remember right his standard manifold requires AC removal. This isn't going to be a track monster just a daily driver/weekend warrior. I think the M30 is just too heavy for the stock 170 hp it came with and there are a few Z31's in the local yard. Its nice having a salvage place in town that does strictly Japanese, shocked the hell out of me when he had three M30 sitting out there.

So what i'd need is:

Turbo Z31 crossmemberDriver side motor mountZ31 turbo/manifold/DPCustom intake pipes and FMICZ31 fuel rails and injectors (what size are these btw and are they pretty maxed at stock boost?)Nistune or other appropriate tuning hard/softwaresupporting fuel pumprecirc/bovother various goodies (boost gauge, wideband, larger exhaust, etc)

I wouldn't be using the Z pop valve or idle controller so im not worried about the harness.

Can anyone tell me what the NA trannys are good til hp wise?

svairman

also i know i'm posting about a M30 in the Z section but since they share a common engine I figured you guys would know more than the J30 crew who run DE's

evildky

I know the M is similar but I'm thinking the Z31 crossmember will not work, just a theory, but you can always cut the mounting ear form the stock crossmember and flip it around and weld it back in to accomodate the turbo

the motor mounts are the same but the bracket that bolts the drivers side mount to the motor is a bit different but you can simply notch the n/a bracket, it simply neads to be clearanced to fit around the oil line banjo bolt that feeds oil to the turbo

the stock injectors max out around 300 hp IIRC, the tuning isn't necesarry unless you want to run larger injectors

be sure to read up on az zbums site, lots of info there like the exact flow rate for the injectors etc

AZ-ZBum
Car: 05 Murano, 84 Z31 AE, 88 Z31 Vert

Actually, http://www.redz31.net is Jason's site. He doesn't post here.

svairman

nice link and thanks for the replies

svairman

evildky wrote: the tuning isn't necesarry unless you want to run larger injectors
I disagree with this a bit, the standard Vg30e has a higher comp rate than the factory Vg30et does it not? Higher compression combined with the factory boost levels will require more fuel than the original Vg30et map will call for

VG30E 84-89+: Engine compression ratio of 9:1VG30ET 84-87: Single Garrett T3 turbocharger with a factory boost setting of 6.8PSI and an engine compression ratio of 7.8:1VG30ET 88-89+: Single Garrett T25 turbocharger with a factory boost setting of 4-5PSI and an engine compression ratio of 8.3:1

AZ-ZBum

svairman wrote:
I disagree with this a bit, the standard Vg30e has a higher comp rate than the factory Vg30et does it not? Higher compression combined with the factory boost levels will require more fuel than the original Vg30et map will call for

VG30E 84-89+: Engine compression ratio of 9:1VG30ET 84-87: Single Garrett T3 turbocharger with a factory boost setting of 6.8PSI and an engine compression ratio of 7.8:1VG30ET 88-89+: Single Garrett T25 turbocharger with a factory boost setting of 4-5PSI and an engine compression ratio of 8.3:1
Yes. Higher compression. No. It won't require a different fuel map. Using the NA motor, you will need the turbo injectors and ECU, but you can retain the stock fuel map all the way up to 12.5psi.

AZ-ZBum

evildky wrote:I know the M is similar but I'm thinking the Z31 crossmember will not work, just a theory, but you can always cut the mounting ear form the stock crossmember and flip it around and weld it back in to accomodate the turbo

the motor mounts are the same but the bracket that bolts the drivers side mount to the motor is a bit different but you can simply notch the n/a bracket, it simply neads to be clearanced to fit around the oil line banjo bolt that feeds oil to the turbo
Actually, you'd need a second NA cross member to cut the passenger side ear off. You can't cut off the driver side ear and turn it around. Basically, the NA cross member is a mirror of itself. And basically (minus the steering rack mount), the turbo cross member is itself rotated 180*.

evildky

on the tuning I said not necesarry, tuning might help you get the best of it but the stock maps are pretty rich and while the compression ratio is up the amount of air being moved is the same as it's limited by the turbo, thsi si the thing most people don't get about turbo'ing the n/a the max hp is pretty much the same it just changes the curve a bit

and yes I'm sure the mounting ear form the drivers side isn't the ideal part if you can handle cutting it off and welding ti back on I'm sure you can handle restructuring it a bit to fit

AZ-ZBum

evildky wrote:I'm sure the mounting ear form the drivers side isn't the ideal part if you can handle cutting it off and welding ti back on I'm sure you can handle restructuring it a bit to fit
If you're going to go that far, you're better off building a new one. It would need massive reconstruction. It would be like cutting off your left ear and putting it on the right side of your head.

evildky

not that bad, you must not weld much

Perrenial Badass
Car: 1973 240Z, 1986 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1984 Corvette

Actually, if memory serves SATAN makes a top mount for the passenger side. Puts it in the place of the PS pump. If you want to retain the AC that might be an option, it should be a lot easier doing that and fabbing up feed/return lines and a downpipe than having to chop up the crossmember. Even if you used the stock turbo at first, you could get everything running with a setup you wouldn't have to change much on when you upgrade the turbo.

svairman

Perrenial Badass wrote:Actually, if memory serves SATAN makes a top mount for the passenger side. Puts it in the place of the PS pump. If you want to retain the AC that might be an option, it should be a lot easier doing that and fabbing up feed/return lines and a downpipe than having to chop up the crossmember. Even if you used the stock turbo at first, you could get everything running with a setup you wouldn't have to change much on when you upgrade the turbo.
actually on the M i believe it puts it right where the ac sits

Perrenial Badass
Car: 1973 240Z, 1986 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1984 Corvette

I'm pretty sure that if that's your car in the picture, then the AC compressor is on the driver's side. And the manifold I am talking about would put it above where the PS pump is.

svairman

ah yes, i read right past the "passenger side" part

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”