Possible New R32 Owner With Some Questions

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
mongomery1234

First of all I'd like to introduce myself my name is Robert. I've always loved the skylines since I saw them and have the opportunity to purchase a federally legal 89 gts-t type m. While it's not the gtr I want I definitely plan to do a lot of work to it. The individual who I am wanting to purchase it from has all the import papers bond release and everything so I know it's a legal car. It has a Virginia title from being imported into the US there I am guessing? I live in TN along with him and he is still running temp tags as he hasn't registered it in TN yet. In terms of registering the car I would simply take the VA title to my clerks office and pay sales tax and obtain plates with all the correct paperwork right?
In terms of insurance he is currently with nationwide who insured the car as "1989 Nissan 2dr sdn" which I was told by a few companies I called was a cop out for them not knowing what to correctly do. The VA title has the jdm Vin on along with his insurance policy with just 6 0s on the end to comply with a us Vin is this correct? The main issue I'm having is none of the insurance companies I call can find the Vin to actually sell me insurance. They all give me great quotes based on the year but none can find the Vin at all. I was under the impression legal skylines can be registered as skylines and not the way nationwide did it for him? I'd just like some info from someone who was went through the trouble before.
Thanks in advance!

trueblue6193

Hey buddy I just brought mine back no insurance will be able to find it due the vin technically not in existence cuz it was imported, when u insure it have it listed as a classic and then they put ur vin as the original Japanese vin.

mongomery1234

So basically it's completely normal for the title and insurance to say 1989 2dr sdn and not Nissan skyline? Since it's not in the system?

trueblue6193

Yeah mine I insurance manually put my into the system so the print out would read 89 Skyline performance category haha but yeah the car is unique and rare and never be a American recognized car so no worries but I have mine classified as a restore process they only charge me 151.72 a year til it's built haha

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”