Possible bad transmission or wheel bearing?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Codyw321
Car: 2006 infiniti g35 coupe

Ok so I am very new to this website and I have only had this car for about 3 weeks now and im getting a little frustrated. So I bought the car and then the brakes started whining making the typical sound indicating that I needed to put new brakes on so when I did I started with the rear and the weird thing is that the drivers side rear was fine but the passenger rear was almost to the metal and then I checked the front and the pads were still basically new? im not too sure why the pads are worn like that so I just went ahead and put new pads on the rear but when I was doing it I took a chunk out of one of the pads on the rear passenger side but I still put it on. Then no noises for about 2 days then now everytime I shift from park to drive or from driove to park theres a loud ticking thud like everytime it engages into gear but I don't hear it like if im driving and its shifting through the gears its weird. And now I have a vibration that I only noticed every now and then but now its constant the faster I go the more I can feel it its a deep vibration skipping feeling like thud thud thud but fast and I can feel it a little bit in my gas pedal its weird. and its been raining a lot up here in Washington state so ive been through many big puddles the last week and so I feel like I got water in the bearings in the back maybe? but idk like I said Im new to this car so any help would be great! thanks

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

Check the passenger side rear brakes to see if the piston in the caliper is not releasing enough for the pads to clear the disc when you get off the brakes.

Cruisin35
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

I would be replacing the rotor if I had uneven wear on the pads. The rotors at local auto parts stores like autozone, advanced auto and oreilly's are inexpensive. I also start with a fresh pad if replacing the rotor.

I wouldn't be using break pads with pieces missing. It also makes it more difficult when already investigating other sounds that need resolving.

I'd be jacking the car up and moving the tires back and forth looking for play in the bearings. The vibration could possibly be the bearings like you suspect. Hopefully, it is just a bearing making the vibration, and not some other more expensive part. Good time to call a mechanic buddy to assist.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

The G35 uses the rear brakes for TCS so that may be why you see uneven wear. Sounds like there were still some issues when you put things back together so I would suggest replacing the components with new and being done with it.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

If you have extreme uneven wear from one side to the other on the same axle, most likely you have a sticking caliper. This will effectively keep the brakes applied on that wheel even when you let off the brake pedal, causing the pad to wear extremely quickly. This is your number one problem, replace the caliper and for the love of God get a new set of pads to replace the ones you installed broken. Also for the record, the sticking in the caliper can be caused by a bad piston in the caliper body or bad slides in the caliper bracket. The remanufactured calipers you can buy at autozone DO NOT include the bracket, so you'll have to reuse your old one and therefore have a 50/50 shot of that new caliper fixing the problem. Best way to go is to get a new OEM caliper assembly, which includes the bracket and slides, from a dealership website. Dealerships basically give their parts away online for a small percentage above cost, much better than buying them over the counter. (Unless of course you live in Springfield MO, then come buy them from me :D ) Once you've gotten all of that replaced, take it for a drive and see if you still have weird sounds and vibrations.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”