performance chip

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

anyone heard of SLR performance chips? a lot cheaper than getting an upgraded ecu from JWT.

THT
Car: 96 Legacy L AWD 5spd wagon, 04 M45

allensteiner wrote:anyone heard of SLR performance chips? a lot cheaper than getting an upgraded ecu from JWT.
Nope but just remember, you get what you pay for. I have a 96 Auto ECU tuned by Technosquare for sale for $300 plus shipping.

allensteiner

$300 is a good deal but that would eat my blower money $75 is something i could live with...i guess i'll call them and ask questions till they hate me

Presscott707
Car: 1999 Maxima 5spd

hey man when ever you put that in post up what gains you get. Because i looked at that website too.

chrunner09
Car: 1999 Infiniti I30

is there a link?

Presscott707
Car: 1999 Maxima 5spd

chrunner09
Car: 1999 Infiniti I30

The site looks legit, but I'm still skeptical. Ultimately it is your decision, and based on what you get, DEFINITELY post back your results.

johnnyd6404
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT 2k2 Maxima SE(sold) 2005 Altima 2.5S

Looks ok i highly doubt +50 hp & tq but who knows I meen its only 76 bucks shipped so for that little $ what do you got to lose, they say they will refund if unsatisfied so I say do it and let us all know about how it is and how to install.

allensteiner

i'm not gonna do a dyno but i'll let you guys know if it was worth anything. they also say "satisfaction or money back" which makes me want to try it...and i should have it within the next couple of weeks.

THT

allensteiner wrote:$300 is a good deal but that would eat my blower money $75 is something i could live with...i guess i'll call them and ask questions till they hate me
Why would you want a chip if you're planning on going FI? You would want something like an EU with a wideband or a UTEC (would require alot more work but it's possible).

THT

allensteiner wrote:i'm not gonna do a dyno but i'll let you guys know if it was worth anything. they also say "satisfaction or money back" which makes me want to try it...and i should have it within the next couple of weeks.
Ah, the good ol' butt dyno. Careful of the placebo effect.

THT

Looked at the link and it's a bogus product...identical to the "performance chips" sold on ebay. It's a set of resistors and nothing more. You could get the same at Radio Shack for about $3.49 plus tax and it won't do anything. To actually make a difference, you need to adjust the a/f or ignition timing...I guarantee that this resistor does neither. Doing so requires that a daughterboard be installed in the ECU with the new maps. And even then, these only take effect at WOT since in any other throttle position, our cars are in open loop and use the data from the o2 sensors to adjust a/f on the fly.

D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

man save the money from what i heard the only chip that actually work are the JET performance chips, my cousin installed one in his S2000 and it does seems to work. they sen you a small computer that you have to hook to OBD2 it gathers cars info and you have to send it back and they make a custom board just for you car, but it runs for around $300+, any thing less that that are just a bunch of resistors that will only work with older cars

THT

D_roc wrote:man save the money from what i heard the only chip that actually work are the JET performance chips, my cousin installed one in his S2000 and it does seems to work. they sen you a small computer that you have to hook to OBD2 it gathers cars info and you have to send it back and they make a custom board just for you car, but it runs for around $300+, any thing less that that are just a bunch of resistors that will only work with older cars
For awhile, JET actually produced crap too for the 4th gen. Maybe they've turned things around, I haven't kept up with them since I stopped modding my Maxima. When I bought my Technosquare upgrade, there were only two good sources: TS and JWT. If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought either and gone straight to an Emanage Ultimate with an LC1 wideband. You can re-tune your car after every new mod rather than apply a cookie-cutter, generic tune that won't optimize your power...you just have to be willing to part with a grand up front. But this is a "pay to play" hobby/sport and too many people try to shortcut or costcut their way to success only to fail and be poorer for it.

allensteiner

k, i've been on the road for the past couple of days but just got back and i have a reply from slr to a few ? about their chip and that's what they wrote me:

"Hello Jerzy, All the "performance chips and gas savers" on ebay are allscams. They send you a .5cent part that does not do anything for you. Whatyou have been looking at on our site is a vehicle performance chip. The SLRchip is a custom programmed chip made specifically for each vehicle. Ourchip works by adjusting your Air/Fuel ratio to make your vehicle consumeless fuel and to produce its MAX potential horsepower. The chip is simple toinstall and takes less than 10 minutes to fully install. We include step bystep installation instructions. The SLR chip connects into your IAT/AITsensor plug. Our chips are also safe and will not harm your vehicle in anyway. The SLR chip does not void your vehicle’s warranty either. If you haveany more questions please feel free to ask."

i'm not going to ask them any more questions because...that's where the ebay "chips" plug in...and i was hoping it was legit. you were right THT and i thought it might've been crap but was still hoping.

as for going FI that's gonna be completed next spring/summer so i was looking for something cheap/chip for the time being. i guess when i'm ready to install the turbo i'll give jwt a call and see what they'll have for me. expensive though my blower setup will be cheaper than their ecu.

btw the ebay resistor chips do work...i put a resistor in the iat plug on my old corolla and it cut my mileage in half - but i had it chipped

THT

allensteiner wrote:k, i've been on the road for the past couple of days but just got back and i have a reply from slr to a few ? about their chip and that's what they wrote me:

"Hello Jerzy, All the "performance chips and gas savers" on ebay are allscams. They send you a .5cent part that does not do anything for you. Whatyou have been looking at on our site is a vehicle performance chip. The SLRchip is a custom programmed chip made specifically for each vehicle. Ourchip works by adjusting your Air/Fuel ratio to make your vehicle consumeless fuel and to produce its MAX potential horsepower. The chip is simple toinstall and takes less than 10 minutes to fully install. We include step bystep installation instructions. The SLR chip connects into your IAT/AITsensor plug. Our chips are also safe and will not harm your vehicle in anyway. The SLR chip does not void your vehicle’s warranty either. If you haveany more questions please feel free to ask."

i'm not going to ask them any more questions because...that's where the ebay "chips" plug in...and i was hoping it was legit. you were right THT and i thought it might've been crap but was still hoping.

as for going FI that's gonna be completed next spring/summer so i was looking for something cheap/chip for the time being. i guess when i'm ready to install the turbo i'll give jwt a call and see what they'll have for me. expensive though my blower setup will be cheaper than their ecu.

btw the ebay resistor chips do work...i put a resistor in the iat plug on my old corolla and it cut my mileage in half - but i had it chipped
Honestly, you'd be much better off with a piggback engine management unit such as an eManage Ultimate. With the dyno and LC1 wideband o2 sensor, you're looking at about a grand or a little less if you street tune. At any rate, you'll have the flexibility to reprogram as you see fit plus you will optimize the car's performance as the program will be car-specific rather than a generic program from JWT.

DaveVQ
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

I put a resistor in my IAT on my old saturn and took out the AC, if you think about it tho all its doing is telling the ECU its cold dense air so it needs to feed more fuel, which really should make you run richer.....i could be wrong

I really wish we had reprogrammable ECUs like the GM guys have.

Klepton
Car: 1999 Infiniti I30 (Limited Edition)

allensteiner wrote:i'm not gonna do a dyno but i'll let you guys know if it was worth anything. they also say "satisfaction or money back" which makes me want to try it...and i should have it within the next couple of weeks.
So what ever happened with this performance chip? Did you ever receive it and was it "worth anything?"

I'm curious to know because I've visited this website as well as some other similar items on eBay such as the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1116

Has anyone heard anything about Volo Performance chips?

THT

Klepton wrote:
So what ever happened with this performance chip? Did you ever receive it and was it "worth anything?"

I'm curious to know because I've visited this website as well as some other similar items on eBay such as the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1116

Has anyone heard anything about Volo Performance chips?
Read the thread and you'll see that he came to the same conclusion that I was telling him: they're worthless.

As for what you posted, our ECUs use read-only memory and require a daughterboard be installed. Stay away from anything that claims gains by "flashing" your ECU with a new program.

Klepton
Car: 1999 Infiniti I30 (Limited Edition)

My bad, I must've not read the entire thread.

As for our ECU being read-only memory, the item I listed supposedly communicates with the EEPROM which is Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. The following website has more details:

http://www.voloperformance.com/products.html

Do you still think it's BS ?

THT

Klepton wrote:My bad, I must've not read the entire thread.

As for our ECU being read-only memory, the item I listed supposedly communicates with the EEPROM which is Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. The following website has more details:

http://www.voloperformance.com/products.html

Do you still think it's BS ?
Yes. You get what you pay for in this hobby.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

the only chips that are in my car are crushed doritos

NewDad=4drs
Car: 03 I35

THT, so are you saying that even the technosquare "reflash" isn't legit? I am just trying to get clarification.

And in your opinion for an individual not looking at any other mods other than cai/wai and minor suspension mods for daily driving that the best option is still the $1k programmer?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am a domestic guy that had apparently more options from reputable sources. But the main thing that I learned is the best way to tune is on a dyno or "real time" tuning with wide band (so i do tend to agree, especially if you are constantly changing up things). Even the "off the shelf" tune I recieved from the "big dog" in Lightning tuning gave me a junk program that almost cost me my engine.

allensteiner

to answer your question: technosquare, jwt and other ecu tuners are legit but damn expensive and i've read both + and - reviews so i guess it's up to you if you want to spend that kind of money. unfortunately there is no way to tune the ecu with a programmer or a laptop. you can advance your timing permanently by using a 470k ohm resistor instead of the ks but that's pretty much it.

btw the resisor advances timing by 15* and that's max.

THT

NewDad=4drs wrote:THT, so are you saying that even the technosquare "reflash" isn't legit? I am just trying to get clarification.

And in your opinion for an individual not looking at any other mods other than cai/wai and minor suspension mods for daily driving that the best option is still the $1k programmer?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am a domestic guy that had apparently more options from reputable sources. But the main thing that I learned is the best way to tune is on a dyno or "real time" tuning with wide band (so i do tend to agree, especially if you are constantly changing up things). Even the "off the shelf" tune I recieved from the "big dog" in Lightning tuning gave me a junk program that almost cost me my engine.
Technosquare was legit when they still worked on the A32. They installed a daughterboard in the ECU...I had pics of mine until I sold it to a guy in Australia. If you're looking for bang for your buck in a 95-99, get a downpipe followed by a variable intake manifold from a VQ30DEK in a junkyard. After that, get a piggyback engine management solution like an eManage Ultimate and you'll be over 200fwhp with an optimized powerband. Stuff like intakes and catbacks really aren't worth it from a $/hp standpoint. I got my intake when Place Racing exited the market for $120 and that includes a $70 silicon-based reusable filter...that's the only reason why I have it. My catback I got back in my ricer days...

*edit: I see you have an A33. Your best bet would be a set of junkyard VQ30 headers because it's not worth paying hundreds of dollars for a Cattman or other aftermarket set of manifolds when the VQ30 ones will provide you with more or less the same results. When I had the 3.5 out and waiting to install in my A32, I slapped the 103K mile VQ30 headers on and saved myself some money but got 98% of what I would have paid for (the remaining 2% is sound and bragging rights). After the headers, I'd pick up a set of NWP intake spacers and then maybe tune it.

NewDad=4drs
Car: 03 I35

Thanks,

Dumb follow up questions though,

What is the benefit from the stock exhaust manifolds on my 03' and the "headers" off of 3.0 liter? Are they more like true headers? I assume you mean these are OEM parts. Do this require any additional exhaust modification? Any approximated hp gains?

Side note, My Lightning had a 4 cats (2 inline), so my last mods were to install Bassani shorty headers, delete the fwd cats install mid-pipes, and replace remaining cats with off-road high flows to my cat-back. About $1400 for ~20 rwhp this was also combined with other intake side mods, that's why I did the "cat-fwd" mods last. I really don't want to go this far with this car.

Has anyone dyno'd hp gains to prove which exhaust mods are the most efficient, if any?

Lastly, where could I get these intake spacers?

allensteiner

NWP makes intake spacers, idk if they have them for your model but they're damn expensive for what they are. i don't know about gains from having 4th gen heades on yours but if you find some good info out and want to go that route i'll be upgrading my exhaust next spring - winter is coming to MT early this year - so i can hook you up with my stockers.

killakarebear
Car: 1991 Nissan Maxima SE

how does it not void a warranty? its sound like you have to cut/splice a wire or 2. i mean if you have power train only than ok but car now are mainly electrical and i think they would notice something like that. and NWP spacers give you hp and tq by increasing the volicity (how ever you spell it) of air and many people on maxima.org have them and clams they work. in theory they should but theory and reality or 2 diff. things

THT

NewDad=4drs wrote:Thanks,

Dumb follow up questions though,

What is the benefit from the stock exhaust manifolds on my 03' and the "headers" off of 3.0 liter? Are they more like true headers? I assume you mean these are OEM parts. Do this require any additional exhaust modification? Any approximated hp gains?

Side note, My Lightning had a 4 cats (2 inline), so my last mods were to install Bassani shorty headers, delete the fwd cats install mid-pipes, and replace remaining cats with off-road high flows to my cat-back. About $1400 for ~20 rwhp this was also combined with other intake side mods, that's why I did the "cat-fwd" mods last. I really don't want to go this far with this car.

Has anyone dyno'd hp gains to prove which exhaust mods are the most efficient, if any?

Lastly, where could I get these intake spacers?
You have pre-cats in your headers while VQ30 headers do not (pre-cats are in the downpipe). Now that I think of it, you may need a VQ30 downpipe to go with the headers...in that case, pick up a Warpspeed or Budget downpipe for about $200...all told, it should run you maybe $300 in parts. Don't spend $600+ for a shiny Cattman. You'll get maybe 2% more power but that's in the realm of dyno error. You should see something on the order of 20-30whp from this.

As for the spacers, Aaron at NWP has posted the before and after dynos of his spacers on his site. He does make them for the VQ35 and I believe it's something like $225 for 10-12whp/wtq in the midrange of the powerband...not too shabby if you ask me. http://www.nwpengineering.com/....html

allensteiner

the nwp site says 8hp gain, i don't think it's worth the money especially that it only reduces the intake air temp - which you can achieve with a cai. org members always deffend their mods because they don't want to look stupid for spending a bunch of money on mods that don't give noticeable gains.as for the chips that plug into the iat sensor - they don't void the warranty because you remove the temp probe and plug it in the connector.

best thread i saw on the org - mods you regret doing

btw velocity will not be increased in a na motor. the rule is that the longer the path something has to travel the more loss in velocity - unless free falling from a roof top - or something like that. the only way to speed air up is to go fi.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”