Pathfinder windshield washer pump

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
ray-peg
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

I hate acting like a retard, but I have to ask what I don't know....

Does my 2001 Pathfinder have just one windshield washer pump, which serves the front windshield, or does it have a second pump that serves the rear windshield?

Becasue the problem about my pathfinder, the front windshield washer decided stop working yesterday, the water won;t come out from the nozzle and the pipe under the hood ( rear one works fine), it works before. Looks like only one reason could be, the pump.

Any one can give me any tip how to check the pump working or not? I try to uninstall the fog light, and found out the pump is on the other side which I can not see, and it is impossible to reach windshield washer bottle from the hood.

Appreciate for the helps

Pwnin O'Brien

You have two separate pumps, one for the front windshield and one for the rear window. It's really simple to see if the pump is failed; if you remove the black plastic skid plate and get under the car and look up at the pump while someone is in the vehicle trying to use the pump you should be able to hear/feel which is working and which is not. The pumps are right on the side of the washer tank right next to the front passenger wheel well trim, you can't miss em.

ray-peg
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

K, thanks for the help.

Take off the skid, it looks like this, yes, there are 2 pumps, the near one is for the front, the far one is for the rear, and I only can hear the motor running from the far one, seems like pump fail for the front.

So, I went to the local part store bought a pump which is kind of universal pump, which seems doesn't fit. Because on the OEM pump, there is 2 tubes on the motor, but the one I just bought, there is only one.

Seems like have to go to dealership to get a OEM pump on Monday

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Check that you are getting power to the pump first. You'll need a volt meter and a buddy.

ctgriffi

I've got a friend with a 2000 Pathfinder that also needs a new washer pump for the front windshield, so I was happy to come across this thread and the excellent photos!

What about using the "universal" pump that all the parts stores seem to offer and just putting a plastic "T" on the one outlet? Then you could simply connect up the two existing hoses, which I assume are for the RH and LH nozzles.

Anybody tried this? Any reason why it couldn't work?

Something tells me that buying the washer pump from the dealer is not gonna be painless; that's why I'm considering the alternatives.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

I think you can get the pumps cheap from partsgeek.com

m0nkeyprince
Car: 1998 Qx4

Dead thread I know but new info surfaces :)

The pumps for our r50's are Model # 28920-0W000

and there are 2 needed

Each pump has an middle outlet and a lower outlet. The Left pump's (looking from inside the car out) middle outlet connects to the clear hose which goes to the rear windshield washer nozzle. The right pump's middle outlet goes to a black hose which connects to both the left and right nozzles on top of the hood.

Now the confusing part, both the pumps lower outlets connect to the same black hose via coupler, but i have no idea where that hose leads.

Also, any of you know a coupon code for everythingnissan.com or infinitipartsusa.com so i can buy these 2 pumps without costing me 66 bucks no including shipping?

Green Pathy
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE, 4X4

Hi, new to the forum here, sorry if this response and question is on a very old thread: I bought 2 OEM pumps for my 97 pathy on ebay. What im having trouble with really, is the routing of the tubing. some time ago the knucklehead mechanics changed one of my pumps because it broke, and they messed with the tubing, taking tubes out and rerouting others. does anyone here have any pictures of the original tubing placement and also pics of the tubing going up through the fender and up into the car? I have loose tubes all over and im not sure how to reconnect it all. Thanks!

EdBwoy

Green Pathy wrote:Hi, new to the forum here, sorry if this response and question is on a very old thread: I bought 2 OEM pumps for my 97 pathy on ebay. What im having trouble with really, is the routing of the tubing. some time ago the knucklehead mechanics changed one of my pumps because it broke, and they messed with the tubing, taking tubes out and rerouting others. does anyone here have any pictures of the original tubing placement and also pics of the tubing going up through the fender and up into the car? I have loose tubes all over and im not sure how to reconnect it all. Thanks!
Check out the EL section of the FSM, pages 117 and 125:http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1997_Pathfinder/
The illustrations might not be very detailed, but I think the description from m0nkeyprice above should get you headed in the right direction.

Green Pathy

Thanks for the response, but man! the tubing diagram is too too simple. i would need something more detailed.

EdBwoy

Yeah, I realize that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Just to be clear, your washer system functions just fine, but you want to secure tubes, right?
If so, then remove the fender liner and see if any clips exist underneath there. I think your tubes will only go one of 2 paths, and should be pretty easy to follow once you're looking at it

Green Pathy

i already removed the fender well because i have to replace the 2 pumps. I bought OEM Nissan pumps on Ebay. so now all i have to do is install them but im not sure how the tubing routing goes.

Green Pathy

m0nkeyprince wrote:Dead thread I know but new info surfaces :)

The pumps for our r50's are Model # 28920-0W000

and there are 2 needed

Each pump has an middle outlet and a lower outlet. The Left pump's (looking from inside the car out) middle outlet connects to the clear hose which goes to the rear windshield washer nozzle. The right pump's middle outlet goes to a black hose which connects to both the left and right nozzles on top of the hood.

Now the confusing part, both the pumps lower outlets connect to the same black hose via coupler, but i have no idea where that hose leads.

Also, any of you know a coupon code for everythingnissan.com or infinitipartsusa.com so i can buy these 2 pumps without costing me 66 bucks no including shipping?

---yeah exactly i dont know how to connect up these loose tubes again.

Green Pathy

i just discovered on another forum that the original nissan pumps actually use the 2 outlets for different purposes. One outlet is to push out fluid and the other is to "pull air back into the pump when not in use" ..... anybody know which outlet is which?

EdBwoy

If the info you have quoted above is correct, then I'd say the lower outlets are the ones that connect to a common point.
That is, I'd rather have a common air suction inlet but separate washer delivery outlets.

Green Pathy

i figured it all out: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder, model R50, uses 2 windshield washer pumps. the pumps have two outlets each. the bottom outlet pushes fluid out, and the upper outlet serves to pull air back into the pump and resevoir. the hoses on each of the upper outlets eventually connect to a common point using a hose splitter which comes to rest at a point above the wheel, behind the plastic fender.

overwest
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder [Project Pathgrinder] RIP
1990 300ZX TT [PikachuZ] RIP

My washer pumps ended up failing on mine too when I bought my car. I pulled them off and found this.

My suggestion is to hit up a junkyard. Should be easy to access them on a car in the yard and pluck. Pay for them...or not.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”