Paint Chips

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
CapeCodChips
Car: Gun Metal Grey `14 Rogue SV

In the next 36 hours about 200 of you will go out to your Rogue and check this out...

22,000 miles on my 2014 Rogue. Every time I wax I'll touch up paint chips about a week ahead.
I knew I had a few, bought my touch up kit from the dealer and went to work.
There were a lot, 161 to be exact, on the hood and quarter panels.
3/4 were tiny, about 1mm, about the size of the period on your keyboard. Some 2-3x larger.
Dealer said they would repaint the hood once up to 36,000 miles, thank you Autoplace Nissan.
I know they're hard to see in the picture, but there were 161.
By comparison, my previous work vehicle, A 2009 Caravan with 184,000 miles had about 50 in 4.5 years.
Anyone else notice this?
Can't wait for the bug deflectors to come out...
I put yellow dots below chips

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Paint job was always something to be desired in the Rogue.

I read in the past it's because of the crappy water based paint that was being used by Nissan.

Unlike back in the day.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

My 2014 with just 4400 miles has at least 15 chips on the hood already. I sympathize with you :/

JB'sTitanXD
Car: 2017 Titan XD Cummins

i only have one but i dont do much highway driving if any

tsumeone
Car: n/a

How well does the touch up kit work for you?

I wonder if this has something to do with the hood being aluminum. I only have chips on the hood. I have a bunch of scratches in the pathetic clearcoat from my dog, but no chips on the sides.

CapeCodChips

You can apply the paint 2 ways:
Brush for larger areas
"Pen" for most touch ups
Not a perfect solution, but it works.

There are a couple of chips on the quarter panels.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

this has been a nissan issue for years, with many models. this is a result of their hood designs. the hood is designed to route all of the incoming air, rain, snow very high over the car, to reduce the need for wipers. ever drive(40+mph) through the snow and realize, in your nissan that you dont need your wipers? unfortunately, sand, rocks, follow the same path, and but are heavier and hit the hood

andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

Those with the chipping issue...I'm curious what color paint you have. Maybe it's a color specific thing? I was at the dealer yesterday, and there was a recent model Frontier with lots of miles that had just pulled in, in the light silver color. I checked the paint on the hood and found tons of bug guts, but no chips. So, maybe it's vehicle specific, or color specific, or possibly paint spray factory location specific. Just trying to narrow it down if possible, before i choose the color of my next ride :)

I did notice that the OP's Rogue is gun metal gray...Any others?

Not to hijack, but ;) what color primer(s) are under the Rogue paint? I remember my black '83 VW GTI had white primer. So every little chip in the black paint left a bright white spot in its place :(
Last edited by andygold on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapeCodChips

andygold wrote:Those with the chipping issue...I'm curious what color paint you have. Maybe it's a color specific thing? I was at the dealer yesterday, and there was a recent model Frontier with lots of miles that has just pulled in, in the light silver color. I checked the paint on the hood and found tons of bug guts, but no chips. So, maybe it's vehicle specific, or color specific, or possibly paint spray factory location specific. Just trying to narrow it down if possible, before i choose the color of my next ride :)
Gun metal grey

andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

Wow Cape Cod, that was quick!! We cross-posted :)

RobGinPeabody
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

Mine just hit 8,400 miles and yeah, I got the paint chip issues on my hood! Not happy about it. My color is brilliant silver, probably the most common color I have seen in the '14's.

CapeCodChips

CapeCodChips wrote:In the next 36 hours about 200 of you will go out to your Rogue and check this out...

22,000 miles on my 2014 Rogue. Every time I wax I'll touch up paint chips about a week ahead.
I knew I had a few, bought my touch up kit from the dealer and went to work.
There were a lot, 161 to be exact, on the hood and quarter panels.
3/4 were tiny, about 1mm, about the size of the period on your keyboard. Some 2-3x larger.
Dealer said they would repaint the hood once up to 36,000 miles, thank you Autoplace Nissan.
I know they're hard to see in the picture, but there were 161.
By comparison, my previous work vehicle, A 2009 Caravan with 184,000 miles had about 50 in 4.5 years.
Anyone else notice this?

Can't wait for the bug deflectors to come out...
I put yellow dots below chips
Dealer repainted the hood in August at 36,000 miles. So far so good, I'm at 47,000 miles and no more hood chips.

Anyone else having the chipping problem?

oldengineer
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

Crap! My Rogue is Gun Grey so I'll have to look out for them. I looked at the front end the other day and saw 2 chips below the grille. On closer inspection I noticed that they were positioned symmetrically and came to the conclusion that they were actually markings for the dealer to drill out for the front license plate holder. We don't have front plates in PA so I'm giving a shoutout to the Nissan dealer in Allentown for not installing it and filling it in with his dealer ad.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

this has been a known issue with nissans since late 90's. ever wonder why you dont need your wipers in the snow, while driving over 40mph? the front end of nissans has always been designed to redirect everything up & over the car. that includes sand/rocks/etc. unfortunately that makes the front end take a beating.

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

CapeCodChips wrote:In the next 36 hours about 200 of you will go out to your Rogue and check this out...
No doubt about it...Paint Chips SUCK! :mad:

Before purchasing my Rogue I had already read several forums about the chipping and cheap paint used on todays cars. Its not so much cheap as it is inferior to paints used in decades past. Rulings by the EPA... i.e., removal of lead and carcinogens... have resulted in a paint that isn't as strong and doesn't hold up like it used to. For those of you that already have chips in your paint job this may be too late, but if you only have one or two and/or for those of you contemplating a Nissan and are worried about the paint, I would strongly urge you to consider having Paint Protection Film applied. My film was applied 5 years ago and I do not have a single chip on my 2009 Rogue. The film isn't cheap... but I considered it as protection on my $23K+ investment.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Prev post hits it right on the head regarding the EPA and the quality of the paint.

My father worked for a few decades in the finishing dept for one of the largest Agriculture equipment manufacturers in the US. The paints they used in the 70's and 80's were much more durable than what they had to use in the 90's. Primarily because of the chemicals that the paint suppliers were no longer legally allowed to use in their product. Those suppliers are the same companies that the automotive industries use. I can only assume current automotive paint is no better now than it was when he retired in the mid 90's.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

I have a ton of chips on my hood. I've been touching them up with some black touch up paint, but when it gets a bit warmer (and drier) I'm going to just use the spray on Plasti-Dip on the entire hood. Better a flat black, or sorta glossy (with their glossifier) than a bunch of chips that will turn into rust since I'm sure I'll miss one or two at some point. And since it can be peeled off with no damage to the paint it will not hurt any resale value later on.

I didn't get the chance to see a buddy before he took a trip to Canada or I'd have had him pick up a bug deflector there for me. For some silly reason Nissan only sells them in Canada and not in the US.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Unicorn wrote:I have a ton of chips on my hood. I've been touching them up with some black touch up paint, but when it gets a bit warmer (and drier) I'm going to just use the spray on Plasti-Dip on the entire hood. Better a flat black, or sorta glossy (with their glossifier) than a bunch of chips that will turn into rust since I'm sure I'll miss one or two at some point. And since it can be peeled off with no damage to the paint it will not hurt any resale value later on.

I didn't get the chance to see a buddy before he took a trip to Canada or I'd have had him pick up a bug deflector there for me. For some silly reason Nissan only sells them in Canada and not in the US.
If you want I would be happy to ship one down to you - however it would also add $30-40 (Canadian dollars, which aren't worth much these days to you Americans) I assume to the price because our shipping is expensive.

Or if you are in the Vegas area I can toss it into my baggage when I head down in April.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

Thanks for the offer, but one of my friends goes up fairly frequently. Or I could take a day and drive to Vancouver. Only a few hours each way.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

Be happy its not a Honda. I didnt have great luck with my 06 Accord's paint

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

They were a bit harder to find on my white paint, but they are there. Over the weekend I installed some PIAA wipers. When I was applying the pre-treatment, I noticed that there are some tiny chips in the windshield glass too. I hadn't noticed those until they were filled in with the treatment solution. They are a bit smaller than the head of a pin. Adding this to the list of things to ask about at the next oil change.

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I just picked up my new 2015 Rogue SL AWD today.

It's my 3rd Rogue, but I have to say I've never had a paint problem. I've had a few paint chips on the hoods of course but nothing like the picture in lots of miles.

But I actually purchased a 3M hood and fender clear coat protector ($300) that is supposed to really protect. And they will credit me $150 if I trade it back in at the end of the lease in 3 years.

wjunderwood

I have owned many a new and old cars in my time and I have to say that the paint job on my 2014 Rouge is by far the worse in automotive history , the paint chips and scratches just by looking at it. The paint appears just to be an over spray like an afterthought you might say. I spent $700 for a Zurich paint coat which is a ripoff, the paint is already fading.
If you are reading this and thinking of putting out $30,000 for a car I would certainly look at other cars and not Nissan. Customer service is also not great.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

wjunderwood wrote:I have owned many a new and old cars in my time and I have to say that the paint job on my 2014 Rouge is by far the worse in automotive history , the paint chips and scratches just by looking at it. The paint appears just to be an over spray like an afterthought you might say. I spent $700 for a Zurich paint coat which is a ripoff, the paint is already fading.
If you are reading this and thinking of putting out $30,000 for a car I would certainly look at other cars and not Nissan. Customer service is also not great.
Welcome to NICO!

I've merged your post with an existing thread on paint issues.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

BarbaraNJ
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

My 2015 Rouge (white) also has a fair share of chips in front with less than 15K miles. I also believe it is partially caused by the hood design. At 5K miles I purchased touch up kit and have used it regularly, but no matter how careful the application, you know its a touch-up.

I searched on line for a bug shield/brush shield/wind deflector and there are none. I think one would go a long way in protecting the hood, even if it cut a mile or two off the MPG.

The people who have the worst problems are likely the ones (like me) who drive on crowded highways every day.

Might check out the paint protection film mentioned above next.

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

BarbaraNJ wrote:My 2015 Rouge (white) also has a fair share of chips in front with less than 15K miles. I also believe it is partially caused by the hood design. At 5K miles I purchased touch up kit and have used it regularly, but no matter how careful the application, you know its a touch-up.

I searched on line for a bug shield/brush shield/wind deflector and there are none. I think one would go a long way in protecting the hood, even if it cut a mile or two off the MPG.

The people who have the worst problems are likely the ones (like me) who drive on crowded highways every day.

Might check out the paint protection film mentioned above next.
Weathertech makes a bug deflector for the 2nd Gen Rogue. I installed it this month. No clue yet whether it is actually helping or not.

BarbaraNJ
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Thanks Ferrisfan ! I have Weathertech front mats, but when I purchased them (approx 8 months ago) they did not have one. I'll take a look.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I too purchased one from Nissan. Cost me $98 + taxes here in Montreal, Canada. Put it on myself and it took me about 30-45 minutes. The dealer wanted to charge me about 1 hour to install it. I have to admit that it looks great be cause it seems to have the curves that are on the hood so everything flows nicely. BTW I bought the gun metal grey touch up paint at the dealer but when it dries it looks more silver than gun metal grey....am I the only one?

Kris5449
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Mine is brilliant silver and chips all the freakin time. On top of that, the clear coat on the bumper blistered and started peeling, and now the hood appears to be blistering, like there was water droplets on it before it was painted. It's a 2014 with 19,000 miles. I have talked to the dealership about it about 4 times and they keep blowing me off, finally I started calling once or twice a week, and now I have an appointment on wed 11/18/15 to have it scanned with a special paint/body high res camera. Wish me luck.

CapeCodChips

My dealer repainted the hood at 36,000 miles for no charge. It was considered a warranty claim by Nissan.
At the time I counted over 150 chips on the hood and sides.
The repainted hood is now at 72,000 miles, NO CHIP S.
2014 Rogue

Return to “Rogue Forum”