P1441 Error code on a 3.3L 2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
belerophon001
Car: Nissab Frontier Crew Cab

OK I am tired of the run around at the shop. So I am am trying to find the most likely cause, recall, or "Oh Yeah. On a Fronter do this" answer to the P1441 code. This, while not threatening, casues the "Service engine soon light" to come on. It elimintes the usefulness of the light for any more serious condition as well. If it stays on full time that is. I would appreciate an all knowing Nissan kinda answer if it is possible.

the definition of the code is below:

P1441 EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge Conditions.This deals with the purge solenoid, vent solenoid, charcoal canister, all the vacuum lines in this system, as well as the gas cap. Any one of these components may contribute to this code being set. All the wiring should be tested including the connectors for any problems. Vacuum lines should be checked for cracks or loose connections. The canister may be damaged or not working properly.

The site this came from:http://www.actron.com/faq_deta...id=14

NISTECH

ok that info is useless as it is for GM vehicles. You need to under stand all codes that start out P0xxx are universal for all car manufacturers. codes that start with P1xxx are manufacturer specific codes, meaning they can use any meaning they want for it and it may not neccesarily be the same as another manufacturers car.

Al though I do know a 1441 code is related to the evap system it does not mean what it does on the GM. If I remember correctly that is a very small leak code but I will need to look it up to be sure tomorrow.

smackmynissan

A friend of mine has the same problem and code. He has a 2001 4wd Crew Cab with 39000 miles. Nissan Dealer told him he would have to replace the gas tank?!?!? They want $500 parts and labor to do that. I read somewhere on the internet that it could be the Evap Vent Control Valve. (Most likely the problem in my opinion) Due to our winters if any moisture gets in the solnoid it could cause it to lock up. I use to work on Honda's and this was a real common problem.

NISTECH

I never did verify the number on it but do you have the specifics as why they said it was the tank?

Nissans do have the same problem with rust on the pintle in the vent valve causeing it not to close but I wouldnt go as far as to say its common.

smackmynissan

They said that they spent 1-2hrs trying to figure out why the P1441 was on. That they called Nissan Tech Line and suggested that its a leak in the gas tank. That it should be replaced. I just have a hard time thinking the tank is the problem vs the evap vent control valve.

I would like to test the valve myself but don't know where its located...
Modified by smackmynissan at 10:01 AM 4/20/2005

NISTECH

its on the evap canister just above the spare tire. Its the only electrical device attached to the canister itself.

smackmynissan

Will unhooking the battery be enough to clear that code? Or do I need to clear it with a PGM tester?

Thanks for your help by the way.

NISTECH

Nissan did away with the screw in the computer somewhere around this time but if you can locate the computer and see if there is a screw on the side of it to pull and clear codes you can use that method. I posted how to do this in a thread in maxima forum on an I30 with a couple evap codes. On your truck the ecm is under the dash but off the top of my head cant recall exactly where, it may be in the same location as the I30 in the other thread[ directly in front of the center console]Otherwise you will need a scan tool to clear it.

Disconnecting the battery does not erase codes on OBDII cars.

smackmynissan

I have a 2002 Subaru wrx and disconnecting the battery Clears the CEL...

NISTECH

smackmynissan wrote:I have a 2002 Subaru wrx and disconnecting the battery Clears the CEL...
some car manufacters are the exception as they havent quite got the whole ODBII law thing yet, most european cars are that way too. The nissans dont erase the code unless its been an extended eriod of time the batteries been disconnected,like a couple days.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”