P1440 Code, No Obvious Solution

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
KTD
Car: 2002 q45

My 2002 q45 has been throwing this code for about 6 months now. I replaced the gas cap first (OEM). This did not fix the problem. I took it to my mechanic who smoke checked it and came up with nothing! The also stated they activated all of the solinoids and valves in the system and all appeared to be functioning. Any body have any ideas other than take it to a dealer$ which is 60 miles away? Any harm just driving it with the light on?

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

The EVAP canister could have some cracks in it near the bolts. Also this canister could be clogged up. Even though the EVAP purge valve solenoid was working when they checked it, it could be an intermediate problem. Some other possibilities could be the gas tank o-ring and the fuel filler neck tube.

As long as it is not a major leak, then it should be okay to drive with this issue (there is usually a different code for a major leak). However, if you smell fumes in the cabin, this can be an issue. Also, depending on where the leak is could cause an issue especially if this is near one of the exhaust manifolds. If you pop the hood of you car while running and sniff around the engine bay and do not smell anything and try the this again with the engine not running and do not smell anything, then I doubt this amount would cause a safety concern. However, I would refrain from using ignition sources around the car such as lighters or cigarettes.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

There's a Bluetooth code reader/scanner available cheap on ebay that can interface with your smart phone or tablet. The one I bought a few years ago looks like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-ELM327-V1-5- ... 339a6e674e

Torque Lite is an excellent free app that'll let you read codes and clear codes. It might be worth clearing the code and see if it continues to come back.

There are also diagnostic steps in the factory service manual available at www.infinitiservicemanual.com that might be helpful to tracking the problem down. As justguiceit4 mentioned, the evap canister and it's purge control hardware are likely culprits.

Good luck!

Heath

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”