p1320 Primary Ignition Singal Fault

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
mcelroyr
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima GLE

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE: A few weeks ago the "service engine soon" light came on, so I took it to a shop to have the code read. The only code that is showing up is P1320 Primary Ignition Signal Fault. I did some calling around and searching on the internet and the most popular answer I have been getting is to have all six coils replaced. I have had issues in the past where mechanics lie to me because they figure that because I am a young woman they can get away with that because of my lack of education with cars. This really irritates me, because I'm not car savvy, but I don't want to be lied to and loose money. I would really appreciate getting some honest answers from people.So... does anyone have any suggestions about that particular codeand if you do feel I should get the coils replaced, about how much does that cost and where should I purchase them from.Thanks!!

MaximA32

Welcome to NICO. You've come to the right place for some answers.

The 4th gen Maximas are known to have ignition coil problems. It is very possible that a coil or two is bad. You said that the p1320 is the only code that is showing. I would have them double check to make sure there isn't a misfire code in there somewhere as well. If you do find a misfire code, take and switch the coil that is showing the misfire to a different cylinder to see if the misfire changes to that cylinder. If it does, it's a bad coil. How many miles are on the car? It could probably be better just to replace the coils all together instead of trying to diagnose just one at a time.

mcelroyr

My car has about 110,000. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. About how much do those coils run? I looked them up on the internet and they were about 80, but I couldn't tell if that was for three on the right side altogether or separately.

MaximA32

Not a problem. They generally run $80 per coil. They're not cheap but as I said, the 4th gen Maxima's are known to eat ignition coils so it'd be better to replace all four.

mcelroyr

this may be a really stupid question, but since I have a V6, does that mean I would need 6 new coils?

MaximA32

The only stupid question is one you don't ask. Yes, it would require 6 new coils.

NM50
Car: 94 D21,98 03 hummer H2,66 311 CA18ET ROADSTER,94GEO METRO pimp mobile

She's smart enough to be a tech.There are upgraded coils available from nissan to fix the P1320 ign.signal problem.When using aftermarket coils they have a tendancy to fail again.Use the parts from the bulletin.And replace the plugs with the NGK OE parts with that many miles.

mcelroyr

thanks so much guys. Your awesome.

MaximA32

No problem. Stick around, who knows, you could make some friends.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”