P1320/Cylinder Misfire???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
luisgofarrill
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

Ok guys, I've been trying to figure this out. a few weeks ago, my 96 I30 had a cylinder misfire #5. I replaced the coil pack with an OEM one from OReilly's (BWD Brand) The misfire code went away and the car ran fine. About a week later, it seems to once again have a slight hesitation and rumbling when cruising @2500rpms. Now I have a P1320 code. What Gives??? I also have a P0205 code come in intermittantly (IACV).

I looked around and tried running resistance checks on on my coil packs and got nothing on pin1 to g on all of them. When I checked Pin 3 to ground, all were between 1.53 to 1.65 Mohms, except for the new one which read nothing. Could the new coil pack have been bad from the box? or are the other 5 with some kind of reading failing?

I cleaned the MAF, EGR tube and valve replaced, TB, IACV, did the seafoam, changed air filter, fuel filter, oil, and spark plugs, though I had put in Bosch platinums before realizing to go NGK.

So my question is 1. Should I replace the new coil pack (warranty covered) cause it could be bad, or the 5 others.(please don't say the 5 others).
2. Could the Bosch platinums be causing this? (the have less than 1000miles)
3. Should I look into replacing the IACV and MAF sensor.

Also, found a set of OEM coil packs on Ebay for $170 for all six (I know it's ebay), but would that be worth my time, or avoid it like the plague. The Car has 305k on it and just now started giving me problems. I'd hate to give up on her since she is in imacculate condition inside and out. Somebody please help.

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

There is a chance the new one is bad. Everything slips up sometimes. Take the new one back

tigersharkdude

you could have a bad injector, but I would take that coilpack back and tell them its malfunctioning

luisgofarrill

I'll do that today. Hopefully they can get the new one in by tomorrow morning and I'll post the results. Is there any EASY way to tell if its an injector, or which injector? If it is, would it be worth trying to get them professionally cleaned, or should I just replace?

tigersharkdude

I dont know how you could tell if it is your injector, but it would be the one that there is a misfire on AKA cylinder number 5

luisgofarrill

Well it's not telling me I have a cylinder misfire on #5 again, now I'm just getting P1320 (Ign. Signal Pri.) It "feels" like a misfire while driving. Could it be the strainer on the fuel pump being clogged? I haven't checked it and it would be a fairly easy check. I'm thinking I need to replace all the coil packs, but am hoping I missed something and won't have to. What I don't get is how I couldn't get the readings from the pin 1 to ground like the instructions say, but got a reading from Pin 3 to ground within spec on all but the new coil. When I changed the fuel filter I put a new longer hose on so it would be easier to change in the future....could having a longer hose affect it???I wouldn't think so, but with cars, you never know.

tigersharkdude

scan tool code 1320=Check Engine Light flash code 0201

0201 means Ignition Signal Circuit

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

Are there any other codes?
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0201 indicates a problem with the ignition coil and power transistor. The ignition signal from the Engine Control Module is sent to and amplified by the power transistor. The power transistor turns on and off the ignition coil primary circuit. This on-off operation induces the proper high voltage in the coil secondary circuit.

The malfunction is detected when the ignition signal in the primary circuit is not entered during engine cranking or running.

The items to check include
- Harness or connectors (the ignition primary circuit is open or shorted.)
- Power transistor unit built into ignition coil
- Condenser
- Crankshaft Position Sensor (REF)
- Crankshaft Position Sensor (REF) circuit

A misfire on any individual cylinder should set a code, and a problem with the CPS should also set a code.

tigersharkdude

more searching shows
CPS ref. CPS pos. Harness and connectors to all. And your ignition coils. could also be a leaky injector

Since you have random code for cylinder 5 misfire, I would start there

luisgofarrill

Ok Tiger, so the coil was definitely bad. However, upon switching no a new new coil, and putting in the NGK plugs, it now reads cylilnder 5 misfire, which means my original coil was never bad. I swapped coils around, cylinder 5 misfire. I swapped plugs around, cylinder 5 misfire. So I think I might have a cylinder 5 misfire.. (that's me being sarcastic) I checked the harness, moved it around a little bit to see if I got any noticeable difference....nothing. All looks ok. So I'm thinking it's either the fuel injector, or the signal coming from the ECU. Is there a way to check either. To get to the fuel injector, I have to remove the IM. Would it be worth renting one of those scanners and see it will tell me if the injector is failed or staying open too long? Or should I take it to Nissan Dealer and have them diagnose it for sure? If they say its the injector, I'm guessing it'll be big bucks to change due to the IM. At that point, I almost may as well remove the engine and drop in a JDM.

tigersharkdude

Intake manifold is not hard to remove. JDM engine is the same thing you have minus a few different things. Def. not worth putting a new engine in just because of a misfire. Your probably looking at an injector. Where are you at? I can probably find someone within an hour or so of you who could help you change that manifold

luisgofarrill

I'm in Rockdale, Tx during Monday thru Friday (near Austin), and in Waxahachie, TX (near dallas) on weekends. If you could find someone to help me, I would love you forever. I've been wanting to pull the IM to replace the valve cover gaskets and what not, but kind of afraid to do so on my own.

tigersharkdude

one of my buddies lives in houston, I asked him if he could help you out

Would you be able to throw him any money for doing the work??

DIDNT REALIZE THAT HE IS 3 HOURS AWAY

luisgofarrill

s***, I would, but don't know if I feel comfortable driving it to Houston. If he was able to meet me in Rockdale, I would definitely pay his gas and some cash for his time, though I doubt he'd want to drive up that far.

luisgofarrill

Know anybody else??? In Austin or Dallas....Maybe even San Antonio.

tigersharkdude

I just asked him if he could come up there. On any given day he could seriously be anywhere in TX.

luisgofarrill

just sent you a Pm

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”