P1320, coils replaced, code still pending

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Grim99CV
Car: 2000 Q45 Anniversary

2000 Q45, 170k miles. A couple weeks ago this code popped up. The car started idling rough and had a little loss of power and even occasional stalling. Read that one or more coils can be the culprit. Decided to change all of them with Hitachi's on my brother's discretion (his car). Cleared the code and started the car. Idle remains the same, although when driving power was restored a little. So now I'm reading that the camshaft sensor (or crank angle sensor) can be the culprit. I cleaned the male and female harness plug with electrical contact cleaner. Still stumbling. When driving my brother says the TCS and SLIP lights flash off and on, but the CEL has stayed off (code shows when I plug in my Torque app). Would replacing the CAS ultimately fix this? Harness has no physical damage, but could there still be unseen damage? Anyway of testing this? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I've been familiar with mass airflow sensors causing these symptoms, which I did clean, but with no code regarding it, I have kind of ruled that out.

duck_3986
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

I have a '98 with 186k miles on it and a few weeks ago I noticed a slight stumble at idle. It started happening more frequently, but only at idle.

Just yesterday it started happening every time I'm at idle and now there's a slight stumble on acceleration. No CEL yet.

Sounds like we may have a similar problem. If I figure something out, I'll post it. Please do the same.

Don

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

If either of you don't have the factory service manual on hand, here's a link for one...

www.infinitiservicemanual.com

Heath

duck_3986
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

I replace my MAF but it didn't fix anything.

The car runs perfectly fine once moving. I've figured out the stumble is primarily when braking to a stop and when just taking my foot off the brake to start moving.

It seems to be linked to the torque converter spooling up or down. Speed sensor?

My fuel economy hasn't gone down, no CEL and it hasn't ever actually stalled or been hard to start. At idle in park or neutral it never stumbles, so somehow it seems to be linked to the transmission.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”