P1148 & P0031 - Possible Bad O2 Oxygen Sensor?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Eemrek
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL HB CVT

Hi Everyone!

For anyone who is familiar with my tribulations with my failed engine, I had a salvage engine put into my 2007 Nissan Versa SL HB. It's been almost 600 miles and after fixing/clearing a P0507 by doing an idle relearn process at under 200 miles on the salvage engine, I'm getting new error codes.

P1148 - CLOSED LOOP CONTROL
P0031 - A/F SENSOR 1 HEATER

Those two are definitely related. Maybe the harness during the engine swap after several hundred miles of driving just needs a little "tweak" or my O2 sensor is really going out or was damaged during the engine swap.

I'm going through the FSM (EC.pdf on page 163) and before I go through the Diagnostic Procedure for P0031 (I don't have a CONSULT-II so I'll do everything else that doesn't require it), I was wondering if anyone has run into this before with their Versa or even any other model of Nissan?

Any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions highly welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Eemrek

P.S. I'm trying to find out if my mechanic who did the engine swap used my existing O2 sensor or not off the old engine, but I have a feeling he did.

P.P.S. Does anyone know if the OE O2 sensor is NTK or Denso or Bosch or something else? I haven't personally looked yet...

Eemrek

To answer my own topic/question...

Swapped out the complete A/F sensor from my old engine (mechanic still hadn't given it to the recyclers yet). WD40'ed the heck out of it. Codes cleared.

Guess the A/F sensor from my salvage engine was bad or damaged during shipment (most likely reason).

Cheers.
Eemrek

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

is that the sensor that is attached to the intake?

Eemrek

NODES wrote:is that the sensor that is attached to the intake?
It's the one bolted onto the exhaust manifold.

According to the codes, the sensor itself is probably fine but the 'heater' portion of it wasn't working (either open-loop or no voltage) which may of been bad connectors in the harness. Thought might as well use the old one and not mess with hacking up a $25 USD replacement or the DENSO OE would be closer to $150 UDS for the part. The DENSO OE's are rated at least 100K miles. One on the salvage was probably damaged during shipment or the harness rusted on the connectors, etc.

Cheers,
Eemrek (Kermee)
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix image link

Redwing24
Car: 2007 Versa S

I have the exact code's on my 07 Versa S. So did buying a new air/fuel sensor take care of the problem. Because I plan on getting the sensor this week and would like to only spend money on one sensor....I have 35xxx miles on it. thanks.

Eemrek

Redwing24 wrote:I have the exact code's on my 07 Versa S. So did buying a new air/fuel sensor take care of the problem. Because I plan on getting the sensor this week and would like to only spend money on one sensor....I have 35xxx miles on it. thanks.
Yeah. Before I replaced it, I would clear the codes and they'd come back pretty quickly. Once the A/F was replaced, the codes have cleared and haven't come back on. That was almost 4K miles ago.

More than likely, the actual 'sensor' itself is probably fine. Either the heater went bad or the connectors for the heater on the sensor are corroded or just needs to be reseated... but might as well just get a new sensor and not have to mess around with it.

Took my mechanic and hour to get it swapped in and about 15 minutes of burning off the WD40 smell... while driving with the windows open ;)

Cheers,
Eemrek

Redwing24

thanks... I ordered the denso a/f sensor and should be here within a week and hope it works as well. I just want the gas mileage back up and not to have a funky idle.

Eemrek

Redwing24 wrote:thanks... I ordered the denso a/f sensor and should be here within a week and hope it works as well. I just want the gas mileage back up and not to have a funky idle.
Denso should work great. -- After you get the new A/F sensor in, be sure to go through this process:

HOW TO: Idle Relearn

Cheers,
Eemrek

Redwing24

Well... Quick update.. I got my new A/F sensor on Saturday and honestly the hardest part of installing it myself was finding a oxygen sensor socket.. Of course they were all to big in diameter that I actually had to grind the edges down to get the socket to fit inside the heat shield. But 30 min of install and clearing the code. The light went out and the Versa is running top notch again. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”