P0420 - 2001 nissan maxima code question

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
SureShot
Car: 06 Altima 2.5s

Just bought a 2001 Maxima and it threw a code. looking through the manual, it says to use premium gas... well, i didn't think it needed premium since it doesn't say it inside the gas cover or the dash, so it was filled with 87 octane...

well, i had the code pulled, and it's P0420 which has something to do with the cat... (low bank 1???).

Now my question is, do you think the weak gas caused this or do I need to to take it to the nissan dealer and get charged $85 if it isn't a faulty cat or O2 sensor?

Should I disconnect the battery and discharge the computer and just see if it comes back? The BIG PROBLEM with this is emissions is due this week to get my tags renewed... Grrr... thought???

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

I would suggest first clearing the codes and see if it comes back. If it does then i would possibly start with checking making sure that all the connections in the exhaust are good and no holes anywhere. Then maybe check the o2 sensor and try a new one. Possibly a bad cat, doubt it thought but not ruling it out.

EDIT: Also check the TSB and see if this code is covered under warrenty for an ecu update. There were problems and a TSB was created about it.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

P0420 Catalist system efficiency below threshold.

Simply put, you probably have a higher emissions level right now. First off, start using 92 or better octane. Second if you have to take the car in this week, make sure that it is good and hot when they test it. Once it is hot the precats have done their job. Now the main cat is cleaning the emissions. Since you are not in Cali, you should be okay. It could be an oxygen sensor, precat is pretty unlikely, they're a high flow metallic substrate precat. How many miles are on your Max?

SureShot
Car: 06 Altima 2.5s

Took it to the dealer and it's under emissions warranty... they had to order parts, but it's all costing me $0 so i'm content with the outcome.

thanks for the reply.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Let us know what the problem specifically was, please. It may help another member in the future!

Edit: You've got an '01 and it was covered by warrenty? Consider yourself lucky!!!

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Emissions warranty is 7yr/70k miles Cali and 8yr/80k miles Fed. It normally covers converters, ECM, and exhaust piping from the manifolds to the main cat.

I'm betting it's a precat replacement and ECM reprogram.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

LOL hey Scott. I was about to post the exact same message. but i clicked back to see a name and you had already posted. Good to hear from ya bud.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Glad to see you back on the boards Dave!

ps. Where's that picture you where going to send me?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”