P0171 error code for 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
2001Pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Hi everyone...hoping someone can help.

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.5.

Service Engine Light went on a month ago. I got it tested at Autozone and error of P0171 - system too lean (bank 1). Had it reset and now a month later, the light is back on and same error of P0171.

I've searched for P0171 errors on the forum, but did not find one for Pathfinder.

Also, is there any warranties under nissan that this would cover? I have 58k miles on the car.

Thanks!

NISTECH

Likely an airflow problem. have seen a few of them on the pathy. I dont know what you coverage is in your state. But in california it is 5/50 so the maf may be out of warranty.

2001Pathfinder

Do you know what part(s) that I need to replace with the airflow problem? Or do I have to bring this into the dealer, which I would hate to do.

Thanks for you help.

Tai

NISTECH

The airflow meter itself and it would be a good idea to replace the air filter and clean out the air box of any leaves or other debris.

You want to make sure you dont have any vaccum leaks before you run out and buy the meter. If your intake boot after the meter was not secured properly or you had a vaccum line off it would throw the same code. Otherwise your are looking at the meter. Try one of our dealer sponsors. Really good prices on factory parts.

2001Pathfinder

Thanks NISTECH.

I was not able to find air flow meter part in nissanparts.org.I emailed another place and they said the part is around $400?

Also another person suggested that the problem could be the fuel pump?He said the air flow meter problem would cause an error code at both banks instead of just bank1?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Tai

NISTECH

400 sounds about right. but try this on first.

http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=1

Not true I have seen a few of these have the code for only one bank and it still be the airflow meter. Thing is I use the consult to verify the other bank is running lean as well, just not lean enough to through a code.

Your first check should be for vaccum leaks before you get the meter.

2001Pathfinder

NISTECH, you are right....I went to autozone and tested the car again and now bank2 error came up also.

Thanks for the link for the part also....it is a lot cheaper than any other place I looked at.

After filling up with Shell premium and ran a diagnostic at Autozone, the light went off, but I'm sure it will go back on shortly.

I will check for vacuum leak and let you know what I find next.

Thanks.

jclaxcoach
Car: 2001 pathfinder

I had the same problem with am air flow meter. I was told that the problem may be from aftermarket air filter. I was able to get a part from a yard through a part finder in saratoga ny for about $140. It fixed the problem...... Also had o2 sensor problem.... You need to get your ecm reset which can be done at a nissan dealer. They did this at no charge.... It was part of the 7/70 warranty. If you do not do this you will probably end up burning up your o2 sensors eventually like i did.

2001Pathfinder

So you bought a used Airflow Meter? It'll work ok?Did you replace it yourself?

Do you have instructions on how to replace the airflow meter?

Also, do you guys recommend nissan air filters or can it be regular brands?

Thanks.

2001Pathfinder

jclaxcoach,I called Nissan about the ECM reset and they're telling the warranty for that only goes up to 36k miles.They want to charge me $100+ to reset it.Do you have anywhere that will say that the warranty is 7/70k miles?

thanks

NISTECH

There is no reprogram for the airflow meter. Only for the O2 replacement.

2001Pathfinder

Just to update....I replaced the Air Flow Meter and reset the the ECM and the car is running great so far with NO SES light on.

(I did buy a used Air Flow Meter(MAF) for $100 from a vehicle that had 55k miles on it.)

Thanks for everyone's input/help on this.

siscokid
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

I am having the same problem, (P0171 Bank 1 too lean), with my 01' Pathfinder. What air filter did you use? How did you reset the ECM and did you install the air flow meter yourself? I didn't have the Service Engine light pop on until after I replaced the air filter with a generic filter. Sounds like that isn't the way to go. As far as performance goes, my Pathfinder only has a problem when it is first started in the morning and after work. It idles low and after about 45 seconds to a minute the RPMs jump a little and it is perfectly fine.

lanceman x

I'm having the same problem on my 01 pathfinder. Just P0171.

O2 Sensors check out fine, no Vaccum leak. Replacing the AF meter. How easy is that? Can I buy a used one from a wrecker?

J

2001Pathfinder

Yes, I bought mine used.It should cost about $100 to $150.

I had a local mechanic friend installed it for me, but it should be pretty simple to install.

amb4081
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

siscokid wrote:I didn't have the Service Engine light pop on until after I replaced the air filter with a generic filter. Sounds like that isn't the way to go.
Same problem here. I went to Nissan and the parts guy told me that it isn't necessarily the fact that the filter is generic, but rather the material it's made of. He said Nissan sent out a TSB, informing the mechanics to not install any SILICONE air filter. The parts guy went on to say that he thought it was FRAM brand and maybe a few others that were made of that material. And it causes issues with the MAF.

So I bought the factory filter and will probably buy a new MAF sensor in the next couple of weeks.

amb4081
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

I still haven't purchased a MAF sensor yet. But I'm not too sure that it's imperative.

-I checked the air flow rate with my scanner it is is within the factory perameters outlined in the FSM. At idle, the FSM range is 2.0-6.0 gm/s (I think). My Pathfinder is 2.46 gm/s.-There is no noticable engine performance issues.-Fuel efficiency is not out of the ordinary either. Averaging 16 city 20-21 highway. And it is winter time.

So other than the annoyance of the CEL on, is there even a reason to be overly concerned about replacing this thing right away?

Nissan/Infiniti Techs, do you have any feedback? Thanks.

Aaron

jliaou

I think I am the first to figure this problem out. About 1.5 years ago I ran into funny problem codes and this same stalling problem. I took it in 3 times to the same Nissan Dealership and they couldnt' figure it out. They kept giving me new "fixes" to try. I finally took it to an independent repair place and the guy figured it out. The Turbine Revolution Sensor on top of your Transmission is probably faulty and is leaking tranny fluid through it. Because of this leak, you will probably get funny problem codes down the road here. The tranny fluid flowd down the wiring harness of this sensor into a whole host of other harnesses, triggering Intake sensor issues, O2 sensor issues, etc. The stalling is due to the low transmission fluid. Check your tranny fluid. If it's low, then fill it up. Your problem should go away. Good luck. Let me know if this fixes the problem. BTW, the metal housing blocks the visibility of the tranny fluid on the ground until the leak gets severe, like mine did. Good luck and please repost to let me know.

~Blessings.

Daddy Rim
Car: 89 & 92 240SX, 77 280Z, 2001 Pathfinder LE, 1997 Pathfinder Klondike

I'm having this same problem with my 01 pathy; however I thought I would put out the question to the techs, why can these meters not simply be cleaned?

I may be thinking incorrectly, however I've used electronic cleaner on the element in the maf of my 240 and got rid of an error code in it. Has anyone thought of trying to clean it?

If it is in fact silicone which is accumulating on the element in the air flow meter I would imaging some form of cleaner could safel remove it?

Just a thought...

NISTECH

Cleaning it is an option as many people do it. Policy in the automotive repair buisness is to replace it. This is due to making it a warrantable repair. They can not guarentee it will fix it doing a cleaning so to play it safe it requires a replacement of the unit. Its all about liability.

PleaseRTFM

I did clean my MAF with spray brake cleaner, let it dry, and reset the codes.So far so good (knock on wood).

jaedon
Car: 2001 pathfinder se 3.5

NISTECH wrote:The airflow meter itself and it would be a good idea to replace the air filter and clean out the air box of any leaves or other debris.

You want to make sure you dont have any vaccum leaks before you run out and buy the meter. If your intake boot after the meter was not secured properly or you had a vaccum line off it would throw the same code. Otherwise your are looking at the meter. Try one of our dealer sponsors. Really good prices on factory parts.
do you know what's the value for the fuel trim for a new maf? stft and ltft?thanks

01pathy4ever
Car: 01 pathfinder 3.5L

I have a 01 3.5L pathy with 160,000 mi. About 2 years ago I started hearing "noises" from the engine during hotter months usually between 2nd-3rd gear and more pronounced going uphill, sounding like gas/air flow seal was not right. No SEL ever came on and everyone thought I was crazy (until they road with me on a 30 degree incline in the middle of July in 3rd gear). But with no SEL on and of course the car won't make that noise when I took it to the dealer, I felt stuck.

The SEL finally came on a year later when my pathy started to be sluggish in the mornings or afternoon when the engine was completely cold. Codes for SEL were bank 1 lean and/or bank 1 and 2 lean. I had replaced the O2 sensors, fuel filter, cleaned fuel injectors, checked for air intake leaks as suggested and finally it came down to the MAF sensor, a $500 part! Cleaning MAF did not work. After reading forums I tried a Maxima MAF (part 22680-2Y001) for $110 at the dealer and it worked perfectly! Even replaced it myself...almost too easy. Performance is great! Went to AutoZone to have SEL reset.

01pathy4ever
Car: 01 pathfinder 3.5L

screechnsmash
Car: wifezillas 01 3.5 pathfinder

I don't know who it was who discovered the fix using the 01 maxima MAF, even though I read it somewhere on here. 1k thank yous to him. I picked mine up at the dealer, disconnected the battery for a couple of hours. I replaced the entire unit, not just the sensor. It runs great the power is back to normal and no more roughness when its cold. If my math is correct I am up to about 1500$ saved because of this site.. Thats a big help when money is tight.... Thanks again everyone.........Dan

lookinglucky
Car: 2001 pathfinder le

2001 pathfinder gives code p0171 only on the highway ....bought a can of contact cleaner , removed the sensor 10 minute job , gave the sensor a good bath , as well the connector both ends ....so far light stays off ....worth the try cleaner $8.00

pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

really? the maxima maf really works? just plug and play no reprogamming the ecm of any sort?? i mean it cost as much as one o2 sensor definitely worth it sounds like. recently i just got the p0171 codes and i remember wingling the maf around and it went away and not its back so it seems like it is the maf sensor.

screechnsmash
Car: wifezillas 01 3.5 pathfinder

I used the cleaner every couple of weeks for about a year. I dont drive the car that much. The times I did, I really noticed the lack of power. The maf died a slow death I think. YES it did work without any reprogramming needed. unhooked the negitive on the battery. replaced the whole unit, not just the maf, just 4 bolts and a lg phillips screwdriver. The dealer wanted $120, a friend of mine has a account so I got it for $82. I still get the code for the swirl control valve selanoid, but thats a different fix. the rest of the codes are gone. !!!!!!!

pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

no more of that lack of power feel because i think thats what i am experienceing is that lack of power feel and i have a 5 speed so u really notice it when your car goes underpower even alittle. i can get one at this junker or 50 dollars that came out of an 02 maxima with the 3.5

will1300
Car: 2001 nissan pathfinder

i saw ur comments and wodering what sesor you took out I have a 2001 pathfinder and it gets a p0171 is that the same u had Thanks Will

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”