P 1444 EVAP purge control valve

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Lars
Car: 1998 Pathfinder 5spd

Hi everybody, I figured I'd share my saga here in hopes of some advice and to possibly help anyone else with a similar problem (yes, I searched the forums and found one post with no solution). So a few weeks ago my SES light comes on. I figure O2 sensor and borrowed a code scanner. The scenner showed P0325 (knock sensor) and P1444 (EVAP purge control valve). After reading up in the FSM, I tested the valve, and found that it was bad (the FSM says you can simply attempt to blow through it with it disconnected, if you can blow through it the valve is bad as it should be closed with no power attached). I replaced the valve - which is fricking expensive. Things were great for a week. Then the SES light comes back on, with the same codes... test the new valve - bad. I suppose that the new valve could have gone bad in a week, but that seems unlikely. I'l be getting another new valve this week, but want to make sure there isn't anything causing the valve to fail.

Does anyone know if there is something (other than a faulty part) that would cause an EVAP Purge valve to fail?

billyd

I may have your answer. Your Evap Canister is bad. The carbon in the canister will clog the valve. Before you replace it blow your line out or it may happen again. I have the same problem and when I took mine in they wanted 480 to fix. I got a question for you where did you get your valve from? Thanks

Lars

Yes, you are right! Sorry for the late update. I got Nissan to warranty the first bad valve. I didn't install the replacement because I had a hunch that there was something else going on. When the orig one went bad I tested it by blowing through it, and remembered some little black pieces coming out of it. Pieces of charcoal from the canister. Right now I can't afford a new canister, so I threw a fuel filter inline before the purge control valve, and sure enough a few days later there are pieces of charcoal in the filter. Once I can afford a new charcoal canister, I'll buy one.

One of my friends does parts for a local body shop, he ordered it for me.

billyd

Lars, I just ordered a canister and valve from Sunrise Nissan dismantlers in Rancho Cordova Ca for 130. You should check them out.

http://www.sunrisenissan.net.... I spoke with Jason and he hooked me up.. Good Luck

W O T
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

What exactly is the purpose of that valve and canister? Is it for emissions of the crankcase?

Lars

Billyd - not a bad price. I paid close to $200 for a new valve alone. I'll give them a ring about the canister.

WOT - these are emissions components - but for the fuel system, not the crankcase. Basically, the canister scrubs the fuel vapor from the fuel tank and feeds it back up to the intake for the engine. When the valve goes bad, it allows the fuel vapor to feed into the engine without any control - basically, it affects idle, but not much else - the valve gets stuck open, it is normally closed.

kevin924
Car: 01 Nissan Pathfinder

Just want to share my experience with P1444 code. A month ago, the code pops up. Took out the purge valve. You can blow air through the valve. So, it appears to be stuck. Before I put on the new one. I thought I might be able to clean it out. And it worked, at least for a few weeks now.

Here is what I did. Buy a can of MAF cleaner, around $7. Spray the cleaner in the valve pipe. And let it soak for a couple of minutes. After dry, try to blow air through the valve. If you feel resistance, it works. Just keep doing it, until you can't blow air through it. Then, put it back on. It should work for a while. Not sure how long, but for $7, it is worth trying.

chaonis

This might help if your valve still works:

zerothread?id=441648

schmeich
Car: fx35 infiniti

How do you re install a new purge control valve on an FX35. 2007. Was a problem getting old one out and I can't get the new one in. Do you have to drop the canister too?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

schmeich wrote:How do you re install a new purge control valve on an FX35. 2007. Was a problem getting old one out and I can't get the new one in. Do you have to drop the canister too?
I would suggest asking your question here, click on "New Topic" and start typing...

fx35-fx45-fx50-forum.html

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”