Overheating KA24DE

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
young-gunn

Ok, Searched, and found some, but still confused.

ok, so my car has been getting hot, like I drive like 1 Kilometer and it's hot. I was told it would either be the thermostat, the water pump, or the Head Gasket. I think I will try switching the thermostat first, but I need to know where it is located. I read from searching something about the top hose under the P/S pump? :s but I can't figure out where it is. Can somone explain this to me? Here's a pic if maybe someone could circle where to look for it? My Dad (he's a mechanic) wont help me, and nobody else knows how to work on cars like these.
Modified by young-gunn at 5:15 PM 9/7/2006

teddy
Car: Saab Turbo and MR2

Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace. Follow your top radiator hose to where it meets the engine..and that's where your thermostat is going to be located. There should be a housing with some bolts, you pull off and then replace the thermostat.

young-gunn

ok, which bolts do I take off? I've got a thermostat sitting in my parts car I will use, I know it's not too smart to use a used one, but I just want to be able to move it more than a kilometer without it over heating.

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

the housing looks like some kind of handle attched to a triangle. It's got 3 bolts and is attached to the lower radiator hose.

91gst
Car: 1991 Eclipse GST

there should be either two or three bolts that you have to remove. if you follow the upper radiator hose it will lead you to the thermostat housing and your thermostat is inside of that. hope this helps.

young-gunn

yeah, that helps, but my Dad finally talked to me about it. He said it should overheat on idle, but it doesn't even get warm. He's trying to convince me it's a cracked head or a head gasket. So if it doesn't heat up on idle, could it be something worse? It heats up to Hot if I drive it just over a kilometer, but doesn't heat up at idle. So could this still be the thermostat? Or something worse?

irocknrol2
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch/1993 240sx Coupe

interesting, it overheats when you drive it less than a mile? Usually when you have an overheating problem it will do it any time the engine is running, sitting still or being driven. Timing or valves for instance. And also usually blown head gaskets make the engine run like crap, very bad. Any other symptoms? its runs ok and idles ok?

young-gunn

well, the only other symptom is that it makes a squeeling noise sometimes when it's running. I thought this could be because of a loose belt (my mom's bf couldn't make a 2.4 litre belt on, so he put on a 3.0 litre belt for the extra inch so it would fit on.) but could it be caused by something else? It's doesn't run terribly or anything, runs and drive fine, it just gets hot. Any ideas?

teddy
Car: Saab Turbo and MR2

belts can squeal because they're either loose or need to be replaced. And why use a used thermostat when a new one costs like..$3?

young-gunn

I've decided I'll be buying a new thermostat if I have to, but I want to know if this is the problem in the first place. I dont want to buy stuff I dont need a thermostat is like $10 here. Not a big deal, but I'm not gonna waste my time like that. What other causes could there be? Maybe a water pump or something? I need to fix this A.S.A.P. any help would be great thanks

91gst
Car: 1991 Eclipse GST

After you replaceMake sure you cooling system is completely filled with the proper mixture of coolant and antifreeze, when I did my sr swap that was my problem, i felt like an idiot for not thinking of that until i had already replaced the thermostat. If that doesnt work then try to burp the cooling system. let the car run with the radiator cap off, this will help to let some of the air bubbles out. Then check to see if there is coolant flowing through the radiator while you have the cap off. You should be able to see it flow past. If none of that works then your water pump is probably bad. hope this helps

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

teddy wrote:Follow your top radiator hose to where it meets the engine..and that's where your thermostat is going to be located.
91gst wrote:if you follow the upper radiator hose it will lead you to the thermostat housing and your thermostat is inside of that.
Wrong.... WRONG!!! If you follow the top radiator hose (located on top of radiator on passenger side) that takes you to the water neck on the intake manifold. The Thermo is located on the front of the engine which connects to the radaitor hose and runs down to the BOTTOM of the radiator on the passenger side.

Other than that these guys are pretty much dead on.... when burping your coolant system squeeze the upper radiator hose with the rad cap off, this helps alot and also try to have your car somewhat on an incline.

dorift maestro
Car: s14 kouki and zenki s13 pig nose coupe

check the radiator if there is any leak

i know exactly what you mean and it did the same on my 95 240sx

it doesn't over heat when idle but it overheats when you drive it

you must replace the radiator and the thermostat at the same time

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

I wouldn't go replacing the radiator on a whim but your best bet would be to check the rad cap, same thing also happened to my S14

young-gunn

Ok, well it's fixed!

I was driving it this morning and it was rising, got a little near Hot, then dropped right to half, I drove it for a small bit more, no problem, topped it up, drove it later, no problems, and drove it again, and it's running pretty much perfect, the best I've ever heard it run. So I dont know what happened, but it's fixed, Air Lock Maybe?

ddgsxr504

young-gunn wrote:Ok, well it's fixed!

I was driving it this morning and it was rising, got a little near Hot, then dropped right to half, I drove it for a small bit more, no problem, topped it up, drove it later, no problems, and drove it again, and it's running pretty much perfect, the best I've ever heard it run. So I dont know what happened, but it's fixed, Air Lock Maybe?
Could have possibly been airlock.... KA's are notorious for cooling issues when refilling the coolant ect. They are stubborn to burp and get back to normal but once you do it's smooth sailing. I've had to do it a few times.

ZOOMIGUEL
Car: 1989 240sx SR20DET
2006 Lexus IS250 AWD

young-gunn wrote:Ok, well it's fixed!

gee, i had exact same problem as you,

my car would get past the H on the gauge, the whole problem was that my car had trapped air inside, so i had to wait for it to burp, and it did so, and i took my thermostat off, its summer so it doesnt matter, until winter then i will fill only with anti=freeze now im running water only...

but yes. make it burptake off thermostat thats it. no $ what so ever.

and ddgsxr504 is right, the other guys are wrong... thermostat in located where the bottom radiator hose ends...

on your car pic it would be here...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”