Overheating after thermostat replaced

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
JiggyT
Car: G35

Hello all

I have a 2004 G35 sedan with 128000 miles on it, i recently bought the car and have been having problems with it. I changed the thermostat because the car kept overheating, got an oil change and flushed the coolant system, now the car is emitting white smoke from the exhaust while idling and overheats quickly. I had the radiator checked out and it seems there are no leaks there as it held all pressure. The oil on the dipstick isn't "chocolate milk " like but I'm still hoping its not a head gasket problem please help :confused: :frown:

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

JiggyT wrote:Hello all

I have a 2004 G35 sedan with 128000 miles on it, i recently bought the car and have been having problems with it. I changed the thermostat because the car kept overheating, got an oil change and flushed the coolant system, now the car is emitting white smoke from the exhaust while idling and overheats quickly. I had the radiator checked out and it seems there are no leaks there as it held all pressure. The oil on the dipstick isn't "chocolate milk " like but I'm still hoping its not a head gasket problem please help :confused: :frown:
Could be air bubbles in the cooling system ,defective or weak water pump, do a compression test

Do a search for the FSM and follow the troubleshooting steps for overheating

Did you ever have the vehicle checked out prior to purchase?

Good luck

Telcoman

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

JiggyT wrote:Hello all

White smoke out of the exhaust is not a good sign. It usually indicates coolant in the combustion chamber, ie. bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head. That will also cause the overheat. Get it checked out soon as it will only get worse.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

use this to see if its the head gasket blown. It works well. Follow directions.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0361073538

Here is a video on how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp5E7XnbXo

Here is a video of him using blue devil. I'm the same as this guy. Not a fan of mechanic in a bottle but the stuff can work if its a minor issue with the head gasket. If the metal ring is blown then it may not fix that but a small crack it can seal up well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3B21j8Nmcc

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”