Overdrive switch and hard starting problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
redox6023
Car: 97 Maxima GXE

Hello all. I recently purchased a 97 Maxima GLE with a 4spd auto. I have two questions. The overdrive switch on the gear selector doesnt seem to work. If I press it to the "off" position, the O/D off light does not come on. This light does illuminate when you put the key to the "ON" position and then goes off, so i know the light works. It seems to stay in overdrive during normal operation and will not shift any different relative to the postion of the switch. While I dont really need to turn O/D off, i'd like it work Also, I can manually check for transmission codes because the button doesnt work. Any thoughts?

The next concern I have is that the car is hard to start when it has been off overnight and if it sits more than 20 minutes. It will crank for a while then finally catch. When it initally starts it feels like the engine is running rough and you can feel and hear it. After that it runs great, and I am getting no fault codes. I know the CEL works, it came on last week for an O2 sensor which was replaced and the light has stayed off. If it helps, the car has had the fuel and air filters replaced along with plugs and the IACV cleaned.

Thanks!

DjNikos
Car: Nissan Maxima 2000

Hmm odd. To think that the light does show up when you shut the car off. Thats a good sign. If your tranny is shifting fine then your ecu should be fine as well. I would check to see how the connection of the wire on the overdrive button is. Just because everything else is fine but that. It might be that the switch isn't connected so its not registering any on/off command, however also a possibility the cable is cut along the way. If thats not it, then something could be wrong with the Ecu. The fact that the light comes on and the car drives and shifts fine makes me conclude that.

But... Always wait to see what the pro's think. Wait for Beancooker and the others to give an input on this before you take any of my input!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”