over 60 mph

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
shavimusha
Car: 2008 NISSAN ROUGE SL AWD / 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE

I was entering highway and I opened rear pass. Side window all the way down it made such horrible noise I thought truck which was behind me blew up did anyone had same issue ? I think they heave never put this car in wind tunnel or if they did they didn’t roll down windows ??? Second option is wind is hitting cargo cover in back and that’s what is making noise ???

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I noticed another post on this subject. Personnally I cant figure out why you want to open the rear windows at 60 mph and than complain it makes too much noise.

Paul

roguemocker
Car: Nissan Rogue `08

I noticed this too, but I only have to be going 30mph! It only happens with the back windows and makes no difference if I have the front windows up or down (or sunroof open/closed, for that matter). Its quite annoying, it makes my eardrums vibrate!

I don't think it matters why someone would want to go 60mph with OR without the windows open, that's not the point... the point is that its not something normal or would be expected. Besides, haven't you ever had a DOG?!?!? Sheeesh!

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

I remember the same complaint last fall when I was cruising the CRV forums. I believe what you are hearing is common to most cars today. I don't remember the name of the effect, but I think it had something to do with differences in air pressure

Doing a quick google, I found this on a prius forum...

"Most modern aerodynamic cars have problems with open windows when driving at speed (anything other than dead slow). This is because the open window or windows disrupt an otherwise very smooth airflow, setting up a low frequency oscillation (booming). Often you can find a configuration that will minimize this effect."

I found much the same posted in the Acura and Gilant forums. One poster suggested opening a front window, just a crack.

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

Yup, happens in the CR-V too. Old and new. Had the pleasure of driving with a friend the other day in her older CR-V (couple redesigns ago) and it happened there. Seems like it's just a science thing and not a problem specific to the rogue.

tellurian
Car: Rogue

roguemocker wrote:I noticed this too, but I only have to be going 30mph! It only happens with the back windows and makes no difference if I have the front windows up or down (or sunroof open/closed, for that matter). Its quite annoying, it makes my eardrums vibrate!
Shavimusha did not mention whether it was associated with a pulsating sensation, a better definition of the 'sound' would be great ... I don't know what a truck blowing up sounds like. However I am pretty sure it is the pressure oscillations that others have described.

As noted this (pressure oscillations) happens with many newer cars, my last car did it (GM, Olds Intrigue), as did a rental a couple of weeks ago (GM, Pontiac G5 ... yuck).

With my Rogue it happens too, but it stops when I fully open my front windows. I don't have a Sun roof or any deflectors, maybe that makes a difference. I don't usually drive with the windows open though except to cool off the car if its been sitting in the sun.

paulvanharte

To correct you, we do have two dogs and I have rolled down the windows going regular speed and yes I also noticed the wind noise. Had the same in all my previous cars as well. Just not someting that I consider an issue. You guys seem to expect miracles with this car.

Paul

roguemocker
Car: Nissan Rogue `08

paulvanharte wrote: You guys seem to expect miracles with this car.

No, not expecting "miracles"... just commenting on things that don't seem quite normal... isn't that what this forum is for?

philipa_240sx

Ditto... Just about every car I've driven experiences the same ear pounding buffeting with just rear windows open. You usually have to play with it... different window openings, etc until it subsides.

And yes, I have a dog as well who sits in the back seat with the window partially open. I NEVER open it fully for her own safety. She does wear a harness and I would hate to see her jump out or hang herself from the window with the harness on.

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

Yeah it's more of a pressure related issue than wind noise. My 05 F-150 did the same thing. The solution of course is to either close your windows or open your front windows a little bit to equalize the pressure.

shavimusha

paulvanharte wrote:I noticed another post on this subject. Personnally I cant figure out why you want to open the rear windows at 60 mph and than complain it makes too much noise.

Paul
If I pay $ 24000 for car and I cant open rear window while my dog is in back seat or for any reason it is just bad engineering ! its my window and I just like to open them and it should not make any noise my maxima does not make any noise when I open window why should this car do so maxima is 10 years old rogue is 7 moth old ! I like to open rear window also when its little cold so I don’t get cold air directly !

shavimusha

Someone from Nissan called me today to ask me if everything was going ok with rouge so asked him about this problem he didn’t know any answers but he promised to find out and call me back so lets see what Nissan has to say about this ! And also I was reading warranty info and it says they would not fix or try to diagnose any complaints about any noises !

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

The Maxima and the rogue have different shapes. Thus the problem is different on each.

It's not an engineering defect. It's physics. You can't beat physics. It happens on tons of cars.

paulvanharte

Come on lets be realistic. When I opened the windows on my Outlander it would make a lot of noise as well. This is just the way things are with these newer cars. I have two Golden Retrievers and they like to stick their heads out of the windows as well. When it starts to get noisy I close the windows, simple as that. This is not a design flaw, just one of those things. Good luck with your complaint to Nissan. Maybe try another car??

Paul

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

"it is just bad engineering " Give me a break. I suggest you go take a few test drive in other vehicles. All of the vehicles I have ever owned have done this. All you gotta do is roll down another window a little.

droopy170
Car: 08 Rogue S Indigo Blue

I have had this happen too. Just open the front windows a crack and the pressure pulses go away. Problem solved! I have a boxer that loves having his head out the window.

droopy

kev410
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

shavimusha wrote:I was entering highway and I opened rear pass. Side window all the way down it made such horrible noise I thought truck which was behind me blew up did anyone had same issue ? I think they heave never put this car in wind tunnel or if they did they didn’t roll down windows ??? Second option is wind is hitting cargo cover in back and that’s what is making noise ???
Well I just have had my Rogue a week, and have discovered the back window wind syndrome. Never thought to open the back windows in testing cars. Like the previous poster stated...it is not just a wind noise, it creates some sonic pulse frequency that does physically hurt your eardrums and give you a headache. It is so bad I thought my back tires had when flat and pulled over to check.

My noise occurs just over 40mph with either or both rear windows completely down. It stops if windows are only down 2 inches. When windows in rear are down and this occurs...by opening moonroof or front windows lessens it considerably as I think it changes the air flow dynamics that create this "wind pulse monster"

I called the Nissan Customer Service number for North America at the suggestion of the dealers service dept manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it happens in some of there other cars, but does not know the physical reason.

Nissan Customer Service noted problem but said they had not had other complaints. So for all of you that are as annoyed at this as I am and want a fix.... call 1-800-NISSAN1 which is North American Nissan CS Hotline.

Power of the people!! Please call.

paulvanharte

Hate to do this to you, but this is just the way it is with these newer cars.My Mistubishi Outlander did it and before that even our Dodge Dakota Quad Cab did it. You can complain about it but nothing can and will be done!!

Paul

Leo2005

My father is having the same problem on his 07 versa.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

You guys are unbelievable - you actually complained to your Nissan dealer and/or service department about this??!!

What do you expect them to do, exactly? For one thing, this isn't even something I would define as a problem. All modern vehicles do this, to varying degrees. Even if the Rogue experiences this a little more intensely than other vehicles (which I'm not sure that it does, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me), this still isn't something that can be fixed by the dealer, even if they wanted to. Do you want them to redesign the car, and build you a new one?

Complaining about this would be the same as complaining about bad ergonomics, seat comfort, dash button layout etc. You may find after buying a vehicle that these things are very poorly designed, you get a sore butt or sore back after long trips and this is a serious issue, but that is an inherant trait of the vehicle design and it is the purchaser's fault for not catching this before buying. Even though the effects may be significant, you can't call this a "defect" and complain to your dealer.

The warranty only covers defects, and your problem with wind noise obviously isn't a defect, and more than uncomfortable seats are in my example. Don't complain about things like this, this isn't a perfect world, it's not a defect, and even it was, what do you expect them to do to fix it anyway? It's complaints like these that contribute to service department's not taking us seriously, and in this case I can't blame them.

paulvanharte

Amen to that Kerrton. Totally agree with your sentiments. Enough of these ridiculous complaints. Now if you want to complain about the CVT, I am all ears Paul

kev410

kerrton....Go take a Rogue for test drive and then you can comment on the rear window wind issue. Doesn't even sound like you own a Nissan vehicle.

Auto makers worked these problems out 50 years ago. Why should we now accept backwards technology.

Kevin

PS The CVT works just like it is suppose to.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

kev410 wrote:kerrton....Go take a Rogue for test drive and then you can comment on the rear window wind issue. Doesn't even sound like you own a Nissan vehicle.

Auto makers worked these problems out 50 years ago. Why should we now accept backwards technology.

Kevin

PS The CVT works just like it is suppose to.
Hey Kevin, I own a FWD Rogue SL for the past 4 months, why else would I be contributing to this forum? I have experienced this "problem" with wind noise that you described numerous times already, that is how I know that it is not a problem but just one of those things that isn't completely perfect with the vehicle. If I expected perfection I would be living in a fantasy world.

Anyway, you didn't answer my question: What do you expect Nissan to do to solve this issue for you, and satisy your expectations?

Like Paul said, issues with the transmission and scratching on door sills due to poor door and weather stripping design, those are problems that should be fixed.

And yes, I agree the CVT works as it's supposed to. Some of us were discussing the details of how it works in another post, including torque bands etc but we weren't implying there was any problem.

kev410

Because when you said this may be a little more intense then other vehicles but I don't think so...lead me to believe you had not experienced this. I am not kidding when I say it effect your eardrums. Anyway..since I was able to sit in back when this was happening....all I had to do was take my 4 fingers together(not thumb) and place them on top of edge of window perpindiculiar to create a "t" or "x" and that stopped it

If I can figure that much out in 2 minutes, an engineer should be able to develop a deflector that fits in window that would take care of breaking that stream of air that creates that sound. That's what I would like them to do.

I don't care if I hear normal wind.

Kevin

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Design it, build it or make it build and sell it on Ebay or to Nissan.

It seems you will sell them easily here: lots of complain = lots of buyers.

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

There hasn't been a single (out of way too many) car I've owned that hasn't done that. Actually, our SLAWD is better than most for the rear window drumming. In fact, it is known that this pulsing in some cars at some speeds will actually blow out some fixed windows. I agree, it is extremely uncomfortable.

You can alleviate the drumming/pulsing by cracking a front window some.

Side window deflectors (when they become available in the States) will help some, also.

We just use high AC with our Pit Bulls, or do the above when OAT is cool enough. The bulls do fine.

shavimusha

why we complain ? because Nissan should fix it on next model ! or Honda will or Toyota will and they (Nissan ) would loose customers I got to the point that I just lock windows from central control if someone opens them unexpected it could make me crush ! sounds and noises are affecting every single person different way I hate anything loud and this is worst nightmare for me when I go to trade in this car in 5 years or so if new model does something I will kiss them goodbye and would look for car without noise and I do heave dog witch now has to seat next to me when we take him to park because I cant open rear window !

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

You make some good points, Shav. However, the back window only has to be opened a little......like 1/2 inch. That fixes the noise problem. Your dog would like a little bit of fresh air also.

Return to “Rogue Forum”