Ordered Wrong parts Y33 front struts

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
WhoneedsVINS
Car: Q45

Hi.

I guess I'll start off by pointing out that I'm a big dumb oaf that didn't use the VIN to verify correct parts when buying. So here's the thing I bought the parts about 3 years ago and never installed because I stopped driving the car so I can't just return them.

Car is a 2000 infiniti Q45 Anniversary Edition. From doing some searching on here I've been able to figure out that the spindle was shortened on the strut a some point during the 2000 year, so year 2000 cars will have either the original long keyed spindle or the new shorted spindle. See below.
KingKarl wrote:One problem....Infinity has evidently modified the spline/wheel bearing/hub combo for the '97 to '01 Q45 to do away with the large, keyed washer that fits between the bearing race and the axle/hub retaining nut (now like '03 - '04 Q45). They did not tell me this and when I went to install the hubs....."chest pain, I've got chest pain!" Luckily, I called Justin Monday morning before I was schedule to be air-lifted to the Cleveland Clinic and he informed me of the change. I was still cranked as I had spent Sunday re-compressing the coil springs, removing the new mounts and seats etc., to get the strut assemblys ready to be shipped back to IOS for exchange. A little info about the change at the time of the strut assembly order would have been extremely helpfull.
Now none of the other parts have changed even after the spindle modification midway through 2000. If you look at the image I've inserted below you'll notice that the part numbers for the: hub, wheel bearing, spindle nut, are all the same for all model years of the car. I pulled the info by comparing part numbers from online catalog. I reassembled with all of my original parts including the washer and the spindle is to short to secure. The nut only goes on about 3/4 of the way. I'd like to reassemble without the washer since it will fit but I don't know what will happen if I tighten the nut up against the inner surface of the bearing. Doesn't anyone on here have a 2001 Q that they've taken the hub off the spindle? Do you remember if the washer was used or not?

Also the catalog had some strange descriptions for the struts which I don't understand. See the img below. Thanks for your help guys! Sorry if this post sucks I'm throwing it together as I can during work.

nismopcparts
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but when I installed my BG coilovers w/spindle I ran into the same issue. I have a '99 Q45 base. I ended up doing the same thing and did not install the keyed washer. I have approx. 6-8k miles on them now and have not had any issues so far. I would like to know if I am causing damage as well...

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Great first post WhoneedsVINS!

When I compare the illustrations for a 1999 vs. a 2001 on Nissan's parts site, it still shows the keyed spindle and nut on both parts diagrams. Frustrating for sure. When I say parts site, I'm just going to http://www.infinitiusa.com and scrolling to the bottom where it says parts and accessories.

From what KingKarl wrote, it looks like the spindle was just superseded - so I don't think using your VIN would have helped. If you look up p/n 54303-3H925 at http://www.orderinfinitiparts.com the site says as much, so that's probably the only available part from Nissan anyway. I do see a difference in strut assemblies from a Touring vs. Non-Touring car price wise... are you sure that's not the difference?

Heath

basikq45
Car: 98 q45

Q451990 wrote: From what KingKarl wrote, it looks like the spindle was just superseded - so I don't think using your VIN would have helped. If you look up p/n 54303-3H925 at http://www.orderinfinitiparts.com the site says as much, so that's probably the only available part from Nissan anyway. I do see a difference in strut assemblies from a Touring vs. Non-Touring car price wise... are you sure that's not the difference?

Heath
what the difference between the touring & non touring strut assembly's?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”