order of repairs

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
artandscience
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, Brilliant Silver, Graphite

So I've heard from my mechanic that I should do the following (got my old Q45 back from my folks and it's been neglected for the last three years or so):

1) replace the steering rack, pump and pressure switch (major fluid leaks) - $597 rack, $317 pump, $177 switch (all labor included)
3) remanufacture the driveline shaft (this will allow replacement of the u-joints and fit them with Zirc so they can be greased) - $675 parts and labor
2) Replace transmission mount with broken stud - $384 parts and labor
4) rear CV axles worn, replace both - $625 parts and labor
5) #1 and #4 injector slow to respond, replace - $925 for both (parts and labor)
6) right and left control arms have some lateral play - $399 per side parts and labor

All in all, pretty spendy but I'm planning on getting it all done by mid-summer. Any prices seem way out of whack. I believe he quoted me on OEM parts. Apparently the transmission stud is quite spendy from Infiniti - I'm looking into that and it would seem I could do a bit better on injector prices if I don't use OEM ones as well.

The numbers are my order of work I think. Given that it's spread over four or five months, I thought it would be best to fix the tranny mount before the driveline shaft.

Suggestions or recommendations? I've got 300k miles on her and am hoping to get to 400k - or at least another two years. :)

cheers,
Stefan
Seattle, WA

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

I would consider picking up a lower mileage Q, same year and using this as parts car or just taking the newer parts off and junking the car. One can pick up a very decent Q for $3K-$4K.

artandscience
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, Brilliant Silver, Graphite

Not quite the answer I was looking for. That has occurred to me but I would rather manage the devil I know rather than take on a new (used) car with an as-yet unknown set of issues.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

I agree with you completely, any used car is just going to have used parts. I think the prices you have there are very reasonable. I paid a little than that for my 84' 300ZX power steering rack to be replaced but I live in the Bay Area where a 3rd party mechanic is $100 an hour.

If that car still has a good engine and tranny I would just do those repairs....with the power steering rack you can put that off for some time with some stop-leak unless you're gushing into the street. I put off my Z's repair for a good 10 years :) with that stuff until it finally gave up the farm. For what it is worth I just dropped 6k into my 97' which only has 106k on the odo, if you go and shop for another car that feels as good as the Q it will cost you at least 50k new...I am not talking power, a V6 Camry is faster than both of our cars, but it is still a damn Camry. Even a Q50 feels smallish on the inside and again lots of power but not the big body style.

dnudelman
Car: 1994 Q45 Silver/Grey

Hi Stefan,
You are lucky to be in Seattle.
There is a shop up in Lake Stevens that has been working on Infiniti's for years. They did all the injectors and valve gasket covers for something under $600, I provided the parts. Name is Melvin G Allen, google it for contact info.
I replaced by steering rack, get a reman from Jorgen Automotive. I have used them several times, the guys on the BWM board swear by Jorgen. You can get it installed by Tru-line in downtown. Mine was done by Jamie at Quality Automobile Mobile service in Kirkland. He does most of my regular work.

BTW, what the heck is an "injector slow to respond" I thought either they work or they don't.

You can also check out reasonably priced used parts from Felton Auto parts in Snohomish. They turned me on Melvin G Allen. I would make an appointment and let MGA have a look before I did anything else.

As for injectors, I've used Standard Motor Parts from Rock auto, new about $50 bucks, replace them all. Never go with "reman"

good luck.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”