On/Off Shakes at Highway speeds

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
SOUTHSHOREQX4
Car: 2002 QX4

I'm getting these shakes on the highway on/off at different speeds. Shocks/struts are new. Had alignment done at Mavis....wheels balanced three different times. While driving the truck is smooth as can be...once i pass 60 m.p.h. there a shake in the steering wheel and also feels like it goes all the way through truck to the rear. I feel it in the seats and sometimes even on the gas pedal. Then i would take a slight bend in the road and it'll go away. Drive a few more mins. all smooth take another bend in the road and starts shaking..... :wtf2:

Happens on newly paved roads as well as regular worn roads. Cement and Asphalt same results. You guys think it can be a problem with linkage/bushings????something that can be eyeballed and figured out?? Thanx

miamiheat3332
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 2006 BMW X5 4.8is - 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

just things of the top of my head that might need to be done,

stabilizer links or bushings. and the trailing control arms in the back, its probably the bushings. also the way you describe it throughout the whole car does it viabrate?

what it could also be is one of the welded weights on your rear driveshaft may have fallen off, this happened to mine like 20k miles ago, takes like 20-30min to take out the driveshaft and take it to a place to get it balanced and a weight welded on.

iceman14n
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Exact same problem i had, its your front and rear driveshafts man.. (not sure about front) but rear for sure.. you gotta get the U-Joints replaced and balance the driveshaft.. thats it.. cost be 700 bucks!!!

m0nkeyprince
Car: 1998 Qx4

do you have manual hubs? make sure one side isnt seized. Thats what caused the high speed steering wheel shakes on my qx, i thought both sides were unlocked but the drivers side wouldnt unlock.

SOUTHSHOREQX4

damn iceman...700 bucks???? Time to start saving. Yea Miami, sometime it feels like the whole car shakes...My whole seat vibrates sometimes. Hey Ice, is there anyway i could eyeball it and see if the driveshafts are definatly the problem instead of bringing it to the mechanic and telling them to change them out and charge me top dollar...any possibilty that Mavis sucks for wheel allignment and that could cause the shakes??? Thanks guy for the advice

iceman14n
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

only way to know is if you lift the car and put in drive (have someone to sit in the car). Then put the car in 2H eyeball the rear driveshaft, see if it wobbles. Now press the brakes, then put the car in Park. Now put the car in 4H, put the gear in Drive then check the front driveshaft for the same.

Thats it man, it is a big deal, the driveshafts just f*ck up the whole drive.

SOUTHSHOREQX4

OK...I've been doing doing a whole lot of research on this problem...After wheel alignment and balancing of the tire I came to the conclusion that my bushing should be replaced since i haven't touch the in 114K miles. Question is so i have to replace all the bushing at once??? rear/front together at the same time??? Any recommendations on the best ones out there?? OEm?? aftermarket??? I don't want to go to the mechanic and get raped with repairs i don't need.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

What kind of tires on the truck - and why did they have to be balanced three times ?

A vibration through the steering wheel - that makes the steering wheel pulse -- is normally out at the wheels. A driveshaft problem will feel different.

You don't want to just replace part without knowing what is up -- you have to have it looked at. The rear bushing do go and the links often look fine.

SOUTHSHOREQX4

The steering wheel shakes left to right half inch back and forth quickly..and the seats also shake once i pass 60 mph. Smooth as can be 50-55 no problems whatsoever. I balanced 3 times because i was refinishing my rims so taking them on and off and putting on my other set while they were at the shop had it balanced each time and once again after to make sure the weights were correct and still get the vibration on the hwy

ARKQX33V6

Generally the front steering wheel shaking is due to the front wheels/suspension, the rear wheels cause the floor or seat to shake. Since you are getting both:
First I would question the job done by your wheel balancer. Many places do not get the balancer in balance.

Next, use a micro gauge on that drive shaft, DO NOT RELY ON LOOKING.

Look at your tires and feel the tread area. Look and feel for cupping, small pieces being scuffed off. Check the front wheel bearings and the 12-6 for wobble and 9-3 for wobble. Check run out and test the ball joints for slop.

With the rear wheels test the rear end for movement through the pumpkin. Test the rear wheel bearings and suspension. Check inflation of the tires make sure they are close to each other and the fronts. Check for any shimmying in the geometry of the suspension. Test for tire wear, cupping.

If everything seems OK, re-inflate your tire to the max listed on the sidewall and run them for a while at that inflation and look for excessive wear.

Most tire shops leave a lot to desire when they work on your tires and wheel assemblies. They are too lazy to turn tires, clean the inside of tires or even remove snow, ice and water.

If you get no satisfaction from the balancing of your tires buy ceramic tire balancing beads that are put into a tire via the air valve, these will automatically balance a tire while the tire is rolling. Or at the very least seek out a good dealer by asking your tire manufacturer to recommend a good dealer.

The statement about tire shops comes from my own experience with many shops in trying to balance 5 wheel assemblies in vain to the tune of 55 tire balance trials. The end result was Bridgestone recommending a certain shop where it was done once.

The other Firestone, Bridgestone and independent dealers all used similar balancing equipment and all were out of date and non certified for balancing. My investigation and contacting at least 2 makers of the equipment lead me to the fault.

I have taught automotive classes and it is unbelievable what some people think of as "in balance" and it is many people like these students that man the tools that do the job for us.

Some professionals are simply unworthy of our trust.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”