Oktoberfest beers

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

First off, if you don't know what Oktoberfest is, here's Wiki.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest

During all Oktoberfest seasons, I've drank beer, but never "Oktoberfest" beers. This year, I'm going to be looking for various seasonal Oktoberfest beers and doing a quick taste test.

Of my usual breweries, I didn't see any of their Octoberfest beers out yet, so I will keep checking back every couple days, so this will be a progressive post, expanding as I can get more brews in.

Anyhow, first up with the Sam Adam's Octoberfest (with a C, not a K)

Price = $8 for a 6 pack of 12oz bottles.

It tastes good for a cheap (non-craft) beer. Has a little bitterness, just enough to not be a sweet beer; Definately a good hops and malt blend. The after taste reminds me a bit of coffee. Yeah coffee, not toffe.

Overall it's very drinkable in high amounts and would work well with Sausage and sauekraut, which is what Oktoberfest is all about.

Score = 80%

My scoring system may be a bit different than yours because, after all, this is totally subjective. But to give you guys another frame of reference, I would put Miller Light, Bud Light, Mich Ultra, and Coors light all in the 50-59% range. Mephistopheles by Avery get's an A+ at 98%, but it also costs me $8/12oz bottle.

I plan on checking out the Oktoberfest beers by Avery, Boulevard, Left Hand, Carolina, Goose Island, and the brewery here in Topeka, Blind Tiger. If you have any other suggestions, I'll see if I can get them here.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

My absolute favorite is Spaten Oktoberfest!

I hoarded $75 worth of this stuff in my closet last year... Starts with a bit of a grape flavor that drops off after the first swallow or two, and has a smokey finish sometimes. Like I said it's my favorite. Special phone calls were made to me from my local cigar store just to let me know when they tapped the first keg ever!

I'm also a fan of Beck's and Warsteiner Oktoberfest.

Heath
Modified by Q451990 at 12:28 AM 9/5/2009

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Is that from a microbrewery? I don't think I've seen a beer around here from those folks.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

All three are major German brewers... Not sure about where to buy it in Topeka though. Around here it's found in places like Green's Discount Beverages (local chain I think) and Total Wine. Typically you won't see it in grocery or convenience stores.

You can definitely get a glass at the Flying Saucer if you're in KC sometime between mid September and the end of the year.

Heath

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Q451990 wrote: Starts with a bit of a grape flavor
REALLY?!Odd, that isn't characteristic of an Oktoberfest beer, nor is it characteristic of a German beer (no fruit allowed par the Reinheitsgebot).

Anyway, all I've had so far this year is Sam Adams Octoberfest (always a good decision), and Newport Storm Octoberfest (Kinda a micro brew in RI). They tend to change the bottle every year.

http://www.newportstorm.com/beer.asp?beer=4

I think the sammy was a little better (smoother), but the Newport Storm actually tasted a little more authentic German.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

I stopped by the liquor store today and picked up 4, 6packs and a single. I'm still waiting on Goose Island and Avery...really excited for Avery's craft oktoberfest brews.

Anyway, on to a genuine Bavarian lager

Ayinger Oktober Fest-MarzenPrice: 2.99 for a 16.9oz bottle.

Pours easy. No worry about getting much head.

First thought: Bland.This is an authentic Bavarian brew, one which would be drank by those celebrating Oktoberfest in Europe and it reminds me of something Anheuser Busch would brew. What a let down.

The greatest thing it has going for it is that because of it's blandness, it's so smooth, it drinks like water and you're going to get s*** faced fast. Wait, I take that back, it's bottle cap is super cool!

Beer Advocate ranks this thing a B+, I'm barely going to give it a passing grade.

Score 65%

Nothing more needs to be said about this beer except PASS.
Modified by Looneybomber at 12:10 PM 9/10/2009

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest

First thought, much better than that Ayinger thing. It has a bit more hops taste to it, which is good since the malt is not doing a lot.

It has flavor on par with the Sam Adams; nothing too exciting, but still refreshing, but a tad watery. It finishes nice and clean. It could use some more sweet malt, but then it wouldn't be an oktoberfest beer.

I was in a good mood and thought I'd say I liked the color...although I do perfer the murky'ness of an unfiltered beer.

Price: 7.49/6pk

Score: 75%It's an ok, beer, and I'd drink it for free, but I would rather spend my money on the Sam Adams.

Q451990

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:REALLY?!Odd, that isn't characteristic of an Oktoberfest beer, nor is it characteristic of a German beer (no fruit allowed par the Reinheitsgebot).
It's not like you just poured a glass of grape kool aid or something... just a hint of something and that's the best way I can describe it. When I mentioned it with my beer drinking buddies they agreed, but like I said - it's a very subtle hint, and I may not be describing it that well... I have also noticed a good bit of variation from year to year, and I don't think I have had any of this year's batch. My local cigar store has it on draft but I think it's "new old stock" from last year.

You should try it if you can find it... let me know what you think!

Heath

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Next beer. Saranac Octoberfest.

Ok, I gotta say, these beers are all starting to taste alike. There are five other beers I'm drinking while I'm drinking these Oktoberfest beers so my taste buds are just smeared with memories from other beers.

So to sell this beer short, it tastes good, has a little more flavor than the Lienkugal (sp) and is very similar to the Sam Adams.

Cost 7.49/6pk

Score: 80%

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I have never had a Leinenkugel and liked it. I figured with a kraut name like Leinenkugel, it had to be good... I was wrong.

PBfrEAk
Car: '00 Frontier (Newb) '92 Maxima (Daily), '93 Max (Donor), '91 Max (Project) '77 F-150 (Funmobile)

I'm definitely going to have to try all of those except Ayinger's. That seems to be a common theme with them.

I tried their Brau Weisse and I wasn't impressed. I mean it was a good wheat beer...but I have had much better. I love wheats.

I've never tried an oktoberfest beer...this is a definite must now.

VRoy
Car: 93 S13 Hatch

Just picked up a six-r of the Sam Adams Oct. it was pretty good. From memory tastes like a little more spice then last year. After reading over the thread i saw something about Carolina beers, Bunch of great brew house's around Raleigh. None seem to be brewing a Oktoberfest, figured Duck-Rabbit at the least would. Anybody going to the World Beer Tour? 2 stops in NC.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Alright guys, a brew from my kind'a local brewery in KC. Boulevard Brewing!

Boulevard (Bob's '47) Oktoberfest.As printed on the label "A tribute to our friend Bob Werkowitch, master brewer and graduate of the US Brewers' Academy, class of 1947"

I'm a fan of Boulevard, not only because they're local, but because all the beers they brew are good. So, I was excited to try this beer and I'm glad I did. Also, depending on where you live, you might not be able to get this beer.

Initially it has more flavor than the Sam Adams and Saranac, it also has a little more "burnt" wood or bread flavor to it. I can't really describe it. Because of the more robust flavor, the aftertaste too is less mild, almost a bit bitter, but not in a bad way. Likely just a higher IBU than the other beers.

Cost $8/6pk

Score: 85%

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

BONUS BEER!Sorry it's not Oktoberfest, but I saw this at the store and had to buy a pack.

Sam Adams Imperial Stout

Sam Adams, for a large brewery does a good job with most all the different types of beer they brew, and for an Imperial stout, this one is good.

Initial taste; dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and even a hint of fruit? This beer certainly has good flavor and, with all quality Imp stouts, has a robust flavor that is not suited for the casual budlight drinker.

Smell; I usually can't smell too much in beers (bad sense of smell), but I can smell coffee in this beer! And I like coffee.

This beer finishes real smooth too, much smoother than the Oktoberfest brews above (except Ayinger which had little to offer in both taste and finish).

Price $10/4pk (~$0.21/ounce)

AbV 9.2%

Score: 90

I highly recommend this beer. It's no match for the Mephestopheles by Avery (my favorite beer and $0.67/ounce), but it's just a small step below one of my other favorite stouts, the Chocolate Stout by Ommegang, and it's $0.47/ounce.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I haven't tried that one, and I usually try any Sam Adams at any chance I get (BIG FAN of the Sammy!). I'll definitely get some next time I see it.I had a Sam Octoberfest tonight, and boy was it good. I drank a bunch of different beers tonight (no 2 were the same)- Yeungling, Sam October, Coors light (to get a free bottle opener which they didn't have... instead I got some b**** backpack on a string which I gave back to the models), fat tire, Mich ultra, coors original...

The octoberfest and the fat tire were the highlight of the night

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Sam Adams is quality. They have some good brew masters.

This past week I checked out a microbrewery and winery in Farmington, MO. The winery had quite a few good wines, but the wine brew guy came from Yellow Tail winery in austrailia, and they have good wines for the money.

However, the microbrewery had a brewmaster from Anhuesure (sp) Busch. I tried all 9 of their beers and they all tasted like budwieser with varying degrees of bitterness. They were crap. They were supposed to have an Oktoberfest beer to be released Oct 1. but it's probably safe to assume that it too will be trash.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Alrighty, I found this stuff.

Spaten Oktoberfest.

First drink; it's weaker than I expected. The flavor is ok, but there's not a lot of it. The hops helps to give it a little bit more bite, but it's just not good enough.

It finishes well, which helps give it a couple more points, but for the price, I'd look at some of the other Oktoberfest beers.

Cost: I believe it was 7.49/6pk

Score: 75%

It's on par with the lienkugal (sp), but it's nothing special.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Next up, a beer that threw me off guard.

New Belgium Hoptober

This isn't a normal Oktoberfest beer, as can easily be seen by it's color. This is a golden ale with a name similar to the usual festive beers.

At first drink it tastes pretty good; Has decent flavor and isn't bland or watered down. It's a bit refreshing to shake things up a bit from the usual copper colored beers I've been drinking lately.

It has a bit of a citrus smell and taste, which gives it a bit of tartness along with the sweet body, but there's enough bitter hops to keep this out of the hands of high schoolers.

This is a pretty decent beer, but not what I'd pick for an OKTOBERFEST beer at all. This is more of a cooking-steaks-on-the-grill, or sitting-around-shootin-the-s***-outside-in-the-summer-with-friends. Either way, I'd pick this as more of a summer seasonal beer than a fall seasonal oktoberfest.

Summer beer score 83%Oktoberfest beer score 75%

If there were less hops, it'd rank higher on the summer scale and lower on the oktoberfest scale.

Cost I think was $7-8/6pk.

Q451990

Looneybomber wrote:Alrighty, I found this stuff... but it's nothing special.

You're killing me!

I guess why they make a lot of different beers though. I'm glad you were able to find and try it. The Samuel Adams Imperial looks interesting. I have always found their beers to be weak and boring - but it looks like that one might have potential.

Heath

Q451990

Since we're straying a bit from the Oktoberfest beers... here's one I tried last Wednesday. Not sure if it's made it to the midwest or not...

It's a well balanced beer... the chocolate and oatmeal flavors are subtle at best. Best of all it is cheap! The cigar store (with a bar) that I frequent sells it for only $3 a pint.

Heath

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Q451990 wrote: You're killing me!
What I find is crazy is the imported Oktoberfest beers have scored an average of 70% where-as the domestics are averaging 79% (using Hoptober's lower score)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Alright now that we are straying, I guess this is a pretty good beer to put in here:

Drank one of those with Torry at Vortex in Atlanta. WAAAYYYY too much nutmeg and allspice... That will be the last one I have. It did have good pumpkin flavor though.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

**I'll add an oktoberfest beer here once I go buy some more. I'm still waiting for Avery and Goose Island**

Extras.

I stopped by the liquor store and picked up some beer...I went in for the Oktoberfest beer, Kaiser by Avery, but it's not going to be arriving till later in the week. What's bad is all but one of these are boxed up and in the closet. I don't have any plans on drinking these any time soon.
Modified by Looneybomber at 10:30 PM 9/23/2009

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Looneybomber wrote:I don't have any plans on drinking these any time soon.
Why not? Why did you buy them? By "anytime soon"... do you mean like, this week, or this year?

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Why not? Why did you buy them? By "anytime soon"... do you mean like, this week, or this year?
Well, four of those beers (the 12oz'ers) are impossibly hard for me to get. I bought out Topeka's supply of the Mephistopholes (far left with demon head) and found the Brabant in Wichita. They're $8/bottle (12oz). The others, I've been unable to get in Topeka. I guess $10 bottles of beer don't sell fast? I think I will need to do more begging.

But for the most part, I don't have plans on drinking them till this winter or later, so I'm just going to "celler" them for a while and see what it does to the flavor. Of the 3 bottles of Meph, one I will drink after at my wedding reception, the 2nd I will drink in celebration of my first (biologically) born child, and I don't know what to do with the 3rd one.

Bonus beer:

Sam Adams Double Bock.

This is the 2nd Imperial beer I've tried from their 3 imperial series beers...and it certainly keeps pace with the stout

Initially, this beer tastes sweet (I just looked it up, it has an IBU of 25, so no wonder), but that's because most every beer I've drank this month has had a little bitterness to it from the hops and/or dark chocolate. In this beer, I'm tasting an oatmeal stout, tripel, and golden ale all in one. It's pretty awesome!

There's nothing strikingly obvious about this beer, it doesn't have a tell-tale signature, instead it just has a lot of body from a delicious blend of malts. It's creamy and makes me think of ice cream.

Sam Adams nailed it with this Imperial series. It's beer I'd expect to be limited edition, come corked or in a b0mber, yet these are normal beers in your normal 12oz bottles. Nice.

Price: $10/4pk

Score: 92% It's good!

Calories: 320/12oz beer I can see the light beer fans gasping.
Modified by Looneybomber at 1:28 PM 9/23/2009

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

That double bock looks good for a cheap beer.

I need to see if I can find some good chocolate stout in this friggin' state. That sounds really tasty right now.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Avery Brewing, The Kaiser, and imperial oktoberfest lager.

Ok, this beer I have high hopes for and have been waiting for it's release for a couple weeks now. What's bad is I bought it Friday and because of the way my work/school schedule has been, I couldn't drink it till right now. Gosh that was a long hard wait...but I had a few Sam Adams imperial stouts and double bocks to tide me over (my new favorite casual drinking beers)

Initially, this beer certainly tastes like an imperial lager. Lots of malt taste, a little hoppy bitterness, slight fruity aromas, and something else in the flavor that I can't quite point out; it's malty, nutty, hoppy, alcoholy, IPA'y, just pretty complex overall.

In comparison to the other oktoberfest beers I've had, this one has a LOT more flavor, as is the imperial fashion by today's standards.

Wow, I just can't quite nail this beer down. There's many aftertastes and aromas and flavors that change with temperature. It's good, but certainly no lackadaisical drinkers beer. 3-4yrs ago I would not have liked this beer and would have been mad at myself for spending $8.50 on a bottle.

So, for a drinking enthusiast, this would be a most excellent Oktoberfest beer, but for those casual drinkers that want a good Oktoberfest beer, look towards the Boulevard '47 or Sam Adams if you're not in the mid-west.

Side note: If you are a beer drinking enthusiast/connoisseur, buy this beer and "celler" till next year. I have a feeling it'll be awesome. I'm going to buy two and do just that. I'll drink one in '10 and one in '11 and compare them with that current year's Kaiser.

O.G.: 1.085AbV: 9.73%

Cost: $8.50/22oz b0mber (yeah, more expensive than the 6pk's I scored above)

Score: 93%A 93% since 92% is an A- and this beer deserves an A. A+ if it's ranked against other Oktoberfest beers.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

While I was in RI over the weekend I went to a bar to hang out with some friends... typically, this bar is pretty cheap and only has your average bud light/coors light type of crap, and then also Sam Adams (seeing as how its in New England). To my surprise, I looked at the menu and saw "Weihenstephaner". This was my favorite beer while I was in Germany, so I got super excited it was on the menu... none of my friends really cared and thought I was over reacting. I started out be rekindling our old relationship with a Hefeweizen. Silky smooth awesome beer from the oldest brewery in the world. The sub-par bar staff just brought me a bottle with no glass... so I had to ask for one. They gave me a typical crappy pint glass, not a hefe glass, but it was still damn good. While drinking it I noticed they also had a Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest on the menu. I immediately ordered that after finishing the hefe.

HOLY CRAPI think I found beer bliss... it was perfect. It had flavor... but it was light enough to be drank in mass quantities like is intended for Oktoberfest.I didn't have a camera so I didn't take a pic, and I'm having a tough time finding it on Google. Cost: $5.25 at the bar. The most expensive beer on the menu, but god damn, it was worth it. ...had to resort to http://www.google.deFYI, I have NEVER had a beer from this company that I didn't like, and I've tried most of them. The hefe dunkel is to die for.

Ghostdrifter88
Car: 2017 Taco

Just picked up a 6 pack of sam adams octoberfest.Cheers!

93coupe
Car: crap

I really liked the Spaten. That was one of my favorites. But my all time favorite was this Octoberfest/hefeweizen blend by Erdinger. It was pretty pricey but worth every penny.

Return to “Around the House”