Officially The Rb25 Propane Build thread!!

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
rb25drag
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX 5.3 Chevy + 60mm turbo + blow threw carb.

Well Not Complete, But Im going to show you guys what I have accomplished So far.

This is how it looked before I started the Conversion:

First Off This has not been No easy task, But its B/c I have had So Many Problems Build up from the past. But Its the First Rb25 of my knowledge to ever be attempted

This Is the Propane Carb I am Using: It is 600CFM

I had To fab up a pipe bracket to Mount it to the Throttle Body:

On a Normal Propane setup You have to run a Converter, B/c Propane Is so cold It will Freeze up if you run Just Straight fuel From the Tank to the Carb. So the Converter Runs Between The Carb and the Fuel tank Normally It will Split into the Heater hose line for heat and it converts the Liquid Propane into a Vaper. But Since I have a (Special Intercooler) I actually have a different Style Converter:

Next Is the KEY to my build, This is the Secret I was trying to hold from everyone. We had a Theory of a new Intercooler design, So we built one to try it. The Idea Is Using a A/c Condenser Inside a Box Having the COLD liquid Propane Run threw the coils and COOLING the Intake Air. We Hope to see Below 60 Degree intake temps with this setup. We have yet to test it tho!!

[img]

The Intercooler actually Tucks Up under the passenger fender were the Wiper Fluid Use to mount. It was tight But fits.

Next I decided to Clean Up the Intake manifold. I deleted ALL the non needed Fittings and AAC Valve.

Now here is The LS2 Truck coils Mounted. I still Gotta make up wires:

Here is the New Crank Trigger wheel and sensor setup for the Megasquirt:

I shaved down the back of the dampener to allow for clearance to mount on the rear of the pulley:

Next was the turbo. I Bought a 60mm Precision turbo, And its a T4 Flange So I built a Turbo adapter flange for my Stock manifold.

The New Turbo:

Here is the Spark plug after about 6hrs of running on Propane, And Note the whole Time I was in the 10.8 A/F range:

Here is the ride:

Ill Update more as I can. But here is a Taste of what is to come.

Modified by rb25drag at 11:34 AM 2/14/2009
Modified by rb25drag at 11:45 AM 2/14/2009

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

interesting

+1 for going through with it.

gawdzilla
Car: none

lol, props for "creativity" and "innovation"

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

Nice. I hope this doesn't go boom in the wrong kind of way. 10/10 for innovation.

sepulchralx
Car: 240sx

ur the dude i talked to over the phone... good deal! how do u plan on tuning the thing? can u actually use a wideband? is propane considered higher octane than gasoline, or doyou have to run less boost to avoid pinging?

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

I'm impressed with the enginuity as well. Great idea to use the IC as a heat exhanger! Have you considered running a water-to-air IC instead of that fabricated box and instead of water, use propane?

Keep it up and keep this thread updated with your progress.

sepulchralx
Car: 240sx

darius makes a good piont

go to http://www.ssautochrome.com... get an air to water intercooler for cheap and use that.... don't run ghetto sheot.. your welds may have pores.

Also you should move that convertor; its so close to the turbo and your hood probably won't close.

You should also reverse your charge pipes. I don't like the criss crossin.. never did on Rb setups with stock manifolds

bounty212
Car: s14 zenki SE w/rb20

wow that is a crazy setup cant wait for more pics... ur the man x10 for attempting this.. and on a rb25 too!

neonbomb

Saaweeeeeeeet

rb25drag

sepulchralx wrote:ur the dude i talked to over the phone... good deal! how do u plan on tuning the thing? can u actually use a wideband? is propane considered higher octane than gasoline, or doyou have to run less boost to avoid pinging?
I am going to tune it with a megasquirt ecu. Im only using the megasquirt for adjusting my timing B/c the fuel is self regulated.The wideband works the same as it would on gas.Propane is = to 110 octain of fuel. So in reality you can run more boost.The rock crawlers around here are running 15:1 compression and 20psi of boost on propane. Which is insane on any setup with that kind of compression. But with the intercooler I built and the cold intake temps takes the chances of detonation way down.
Darius wrote:I'm impressed with the enginuity as well. Great idea to use the IC as a heat exhanger! Have you considered running a water-to-air IC instead of that fabricated box and instead of water, use propane? Keep it up and keep this thread updated with your progress.
Thanks, Honsetly I have not looked at the water coolers. The reason I used a A/c condenser is it had to be able to accept high pressure. The propane averages 200psi in the lines in the winter and around 250psi in the summer.
sepulchralx wrote:darius makes a good piont go to http://www.ssautochrome.com... get an air to water intercooler for cheap and use that.... don't run ghetto sheot.. your welds may have pores. Also you should move that convertor; its so close to the turbo and your hood probably won't close. You should also reverse your charge pipes. I don't like the criss crossin.. never did on Rb setups with stock manifolds
Its ghetto B/c its the first one ever built and my first time Tig welding aluminum. I pressure tested my welds at 180-psi and soapy water. Had a few leaks at first but I fixed them. It tucks under the fender and No one will ever know im even running a intercooler.

rb25drag

Well I have 1 more trick up my sleeve before this buid is over.

We have a few more Myths were going to throw into this experiment.

After I get everything setup and running how I want. We found that we can Mix a % of Nitrous In the same bottle as The Propane. So We have 8 bottles we are going to Mix Different %'s of Nitrous in along with propane and see what Kind of power we can make on the Dyno. Then I Plan on Running It into the Ground at the Track

For some Info on the Propane Here is the website to the Shop that I am Using: It has some really good info tips on it. If you check out Customers Rides you will find the Nasty Nissan HAHA

http://www.rheaperformance.com/id1.html

pepegurr
Car: 89 coupe w/ rb20 swap - RIP but making a comeback
86 Porsche 944
92 FZR400 - Track Slut
95 240sx-se - Newest member of the family- DD

thats awesome man i cant wait to see the dyno numbers. keep it up!

240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

Keep an eye on that front crank pulley, I can see where the rubber is cracking. Don't want that to seperate!

rb25drag

How Likely is that to break off?

I have checked it and it seems to be Fine, Just a little crack so far.

Anything to put on it to prevent it any further?

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

and it's chipped. Actually, that balancer looks like hell.

I wouldn't try to fill it with anything or treat it as it's a "balancer" you'll just end up making it worse. Anything making that thing lop sided when spinning at 7000 rpms would cause some ugly vibration.

Time to upgrade

wrxratd
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 2002 WRX

Coolwhip wrote:and it's chipped. Actually, that balancer looks like hell.

Time to upgrade
Agreed! Looks more like an un-balancer... :D

rb25drag

well the actual balancer part of it is ok, That part of the pulley does not effect the balancing due to it having the rubber which allows for a little give or take.When I built the motor 1 1/2 yrs ago We used the same balancer and had No problems getting it to balance in. That pulley has been like that ever since I have owned it 3yrss now.I did order a 40mm synapse wastegate last night. Hope it works well.

240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

rb25drag wrote:well the actual balancer part of it is ok, That part of the pulley does not effect the balancing due to it having the rubber which allows for a little give or take.When I built the motor 1 1/2 yrs ago We used the same balancer and had No problems getting it to balance in. That pulley has been like that ever since I have owned it 3yrss now.I did order a 40mm synapse wastegate last night. Hope it works well.
Seriously, for you safety and the safety of others find a better crank pulley. I know they can seperate for a fact, granted on an older car but it was still a nissan. It does a tremendous amount of damage when they come apart. They don't tend to appear to get worse either.. just delaminate altogether.

I am not saying you need a $500 balancer, but if your really working toward your goal you need to invest in one thats less beat up.

I know I have been busting your balls alot about the propane, but I am serious about this.

Evan

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

wow! seriously, consider replacing your balancer. There are already chips missing from it!

Everything else looks cool man!

rb25drag

Well these past few weeks I Finally got my Synapse 40mm Wastegate, My 3" Mandrel bent Exhaust tubing so I could make my Down pipe for the turbo, Got my Turbo Oil lines Finished, The Re-turn line Modified to fit, And I finished the Vr-Sensor setup.

So I re-moddified My Manifold to accept The new wastegate:

Then I made my Wastegate Dump pipe, (I think you will like the location)

Here is the wastegate pipe Nicely tucked in the Fender:

And here is were It finally takes a Peak out of the car:

Here is the Turbo Down Pipe:

And After it was all Bolted up I had a little clearance issue With the turbo and motor Mount So I had to notch the mount a little:

All I have left is to Finish my exhaust with the 3" Magnaflow muffler, Make up my spark Plug wires, and Wire in the Megasquirt and The car Is ready to make some Noise

Hopefully by the end of next week.

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

off subject...whats the wheels size and back spacing on those rear weld wheels??

rb25drag

They are 15x8 with a 4.5 B.S

rb25drag

Well It is finally all back together. Ill try and post some pics later. All I lack now is wiring and getting the megasquirt up and running.I have my buddy west coming in april 18th to tune my car on the dyno. He is a computer tech that works for Roush Racing in nascar. Really kool guy. Hopefully some good video and results are just ahead in a few weeks.

rb25drag

Well here is the latest Pics, I got everything wired This past weekend. Im Ready for some Noise!! THIS WEEK WOOT!!!

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

i bet when you pop your hood most people are like "WTF is going on here "....lol.

Can't wait to see the results from the new setup

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

nelson8708 wrote:i bet when you pop your hood most people are like "WTF is going on here "....lol.

Can't wait to see the results from the new setup
x2!!

rb25drag

The guys that have came into the shop usually look, Then Kinda stair, They will walk over look Real hard for a name or number, take a few steps back, Look puzzled again, Then Finally say WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!! LOL, Its the funniest thing ever to watch. It confuses the s*** out of them.

Just wait till it hits the Dyno

the_garynator
Car: 2015 370z Sport
93 RB26 S13 Coupe
96 SBC Hardbody

Super sweet build man! you got video yet? I wanna hear what she sounds like without video!

Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

Is that copper gasket maker on your turbine flange?

rb25drag

Yup thats copper gold. That is all I use for gaskets. Never had a leak yet. As long as everything is flat and surfaced.Sorry No video's of the new setup yet. I will get one of the dyno next weekend.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”