NYTimes Review of the Rogue 3/11/08

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jaywhiz21
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Gotham Gray SL AWD

HERE in far northern New Hampshire, just a few miles from Quebec, the site of the onetime Indian Stream Republic seemed an appropriate place to take the Nissan Rogue. In 1832, the locals exhibited some roguish behavior by declaring themselves a sovereign nation, having grown frustrated by a 60-year dispute over the boundary of the United States and Canada. Four years later, Canada gave up its claim and the territory became an official part of New Hampshire.

I am taking a travel break and pondering a weighty question about the Rogue as I sample the banana cream pie at Dube’s Pittstop, home of the “ ½-lb. Whoppie pie” — a chocolate confection with vanilla filling — as well as a sumptuous selection of dried pig’s ears on the counter near the cash register.

That question is this: How much vibration is one willing to absorb when the price of a vehicle — and most everything else about it — is right?The vibrations I am concerned about come from the in-line 4-cylinder in the Rogue, a new competitor to the Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4 and a host of other small crossover utility wagons. Although many 4-cylinder vehicles are prone to vibrations through the steering column (like the Scion xB I recently drove) these are exceptionally intrusive in the Rogue.

Still, the Rogue has a lot of positives. It is competitively priced, costing less than 4-cylinder versions of the segment’s three best sellers, the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and Ford Escape (when comparably equipped with an automatic transmission). The Nissan is very well appointed.

The least expensive model, the Rogue S, starts at $19,995 with front-wheel drive and $21,315 with all-wheel drive. The nicer SL starts at $21,535 with front drive and $22,735 with all-wheel drive.

Based on the underpinnings of the Sentra compact car, the Rogue uses the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine from the Altima, which produces more horsepower and torque than many competitors can claim. It is paired with Nissan’s continuously variable automatic transmission.

In the Rogue, Nissan says, the engine produces 170 horsepower at 6,000 r.p.m. and 175 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 r.p.m. While the Rogue can be a bit slow when starting out, it moves along nicely once the engine is over 2,500 r.p.m.

Although several other small sport utilities offer 6-cylinder engines in addition to in-line 4’s, Nissan thought the Rogue could be competitive without a V-6. (The larger Murano gets that.)

All Rogues have electronic stability control, antilock brakes and six air bags, including side bags in the front seats and roof-mounted inflatable curtains that extend to cover front and rear passengers. Active head restraints, which help to protect the necks of those in a rear crash, are standard. I tested an S model with all-wheel drive and splash guards ($125). Its sticker price was $21,320. Other options could run the price up another $4,800.

I had previously driven two pre-production development models, a step away from cars that would go to customers. It was in the first preproduction model that I noted vibrations through the floor and steering wheel in the 1,200 to 1,500 r.p.m. range. In a second preproduction model, the vibrations were much less noticeable, but still present. So I waited to drive a production version before forming my judgment.

It wasn’t long into this drive to Pittsburg that the vibrations started givin’ me excitations once again. They were less noticeable than with the first car, but worse than the second. In any case, they were still annoying at around-town speeds — enough that I pondered the wisdom of ignoring the speed limits and driving everywhere at 50 m.p.h.

The intrusive buzzing was a shame because otherwise the Rogue is a nice addition to a crowded segment. In several important ways I liked it better than either the CR-V or RAV4.

A Nissan spokesman, Brian Brockman, said the vibrations, and sometimes a booming noise, were associated with the way the torque converter lockup clutch, which works to increase an engine’s efficiency and fuel economy, is tuned. Some people are more sensitive to these than others, he said.“Lucky me,” I thought — though my husband also found them annoying. Since fuel economy is important to buyers in this segment, Nissan thought customers would be happier with better fuel economy than they would be with eliminating a vibration that some people may not even detect, he said.“It’s a condition we are aware of and keeping an eye on,” Mr. Brockman added. “But that was a decision that was made during the development process.”

In all-wheel-drive form, the Rogue gets marginally the best mileage in its class, according to the government’s Web site (www.fueleconomy.gov). The federal rating is 21 miles a gallon in the city and 26 m.p.g. on the highway. That’s one m.p.g. better in the city than the CR-V. (Two-wheel-drive Rogues are rated at 22 m.p.g . in town and 27 on the highway.) I got close to 29 m.p.g. in the production version.

The dashboard and instrument panel are fairly attractive partly because Nissan uses soft-touch plastic, which looks much nicer than the hard stuff. Even the cloth seats are attractive.

Over all, the Rogue’s interior is a big step up from the CR-V and RAV4. Only the speedometer — with its very small numbers and orange illumination — is out of character with the legible and easy-to-use controls. The split back seat flops forward easily, but doesn’t fold completely flat or move fore and aft like those of some competitors. There is no third-row seat, like those available in the RAV4 and Mitsubishi Outlander, although these are pretty cramped accommodations in vehicles this small.

But the virtues of the Rogue became obvious after we turned right onto Indian Stream Road into what a sign called God’s country. The tarred lane-and-a-quarter-wide road quickly turned into hard-packed dirt. It got narrower and signs warned of logging trucks. The Rogue handled the washboards without the tail getting distracted. Even when cornering on a washboard surface, the vehicle stayed planted.

Heading south out of Pittsburg on narrow and twisty-treacherous Route 145, the Rogue showed that it is pretty nimble. Where the road dropped away after a crest, the Rogue settled down quickly. Despite the comfortable suspension, there wasn’t a lot of bobbling.

On back-to-back drives with the CR-V and RAV4, I found the Rogue to be quieter and to ride more comfortably than the RAV4. And while both it and the CR-V feel somewhat sporty, the Rogue strikes a better balance between sporty handling and comfortable ride.

The variable transmission, which uses a belt to create a constantly changing array of gear ratios, worked well on the sharp turns that required some serious slowing. Once you can see your way through the turn and it is safe to finally press down on the accelerator, you get the power when you want it, without waiting for a conventional transmission to downshift. It just goes.

So back in Dube’s Pittstop, my internal debate goes on. The Rogue is attractive on many levels: price, safety features, ride, handling, engine performance, fuel economy. Is all that enough to cancel out those negative vibes?•INSIDE TRACK: A few shakes short of perfect.
Modified by jaywhiz21 at 8:55 AM 3/10/2008

albertwang16

Put aside all the repairs need for my Rogue. I do enjoy riding my Rogue but I would have to say if I have known about the vibration a head of time, it has a good chance to be the decision breaker and made me go for the CRV.

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

I haven't been bothered by the vibrations and I believe that those that have spent a good part of their driving experience in manual shifts car aren't bothered by it either.

I did find it strange that he would include the Escape in the CUV class. The Escape is not a CUV in my opinion and has been around since 2001. It is more of a small SUV.

jaywhiz21
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Gotham Gray SL AWD

Etch wrote:I haven't been bothered by the vibrations....
I agree... I guess I'm one who says, "What vibration?"

-Jimmy

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Yep I agree, what vibration??? Yes I notice it a bit sometimes but I dont find that it takes away from the driving experience at all. I believe its just a matter of getting used to the way the CVT reacts compared to how a automatic would react.

Paul

Lightforce18
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Black on Black. SL AWD. Leather. Moonroof. Premium.

what vibrations?

philipa_240sx

I drove 2 previous Nissan's with sticks.. '90 240SX and and '03 Altima 2.5S. Drive a manual tranny for awhile and you would never notice it... I sure don't take notice of any 'slight' vibrations in the Rogue.

albertwang16

let's say the vibration is a small matter now or in the short term. But in the long run, do you think the vibration will cause some other major problems??

I meam, do you know any other nissan cars using the CVT are experiencing any kind of vibration at any speed?

tw34k
Car: 2007 350Z Enthusiast - Solar Orange***2008 Rogue SL-FWD ( NOT Rouge ) First Rogue Sold in Tacoma /

There's a vibration in the steering??....I havent noticed.

The only vibration I've ever noticed was the seatbelt vibrating across my chest....At first I thought WHY would the seatbelt vibrate?Then I discovered that certian bass notes from the stereo being turned up loud was doing it....I don't even notice them now.

And I havent turned the stereo down either.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Try using the paddles to select the ratios(gears) and see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed the problem but our perceptions are sometimes very different.

munkymonkjr
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD

What vibes? I feel some slight vibrations but they are no bigger than on a 2008 Honda Pilot. And of course, coming from an Altima (w/ auto)... the rogue vibes are much less than what i am used to anyway.

SkiHound

I notice what I call a "flat spot" at low RPM. I'd describe it as being very similar to driving a stick shift in too high a gear. I don't really notice much, if any vibration and it doesn't really bother me. I suspect they may tweak the gear ratios in some future variant. I've got close to 9k on mine and overall, I really like it a lot.

zesty2b
Car: Gotham Gray SL 4WD Sun Roof, Bluetooth, Leather

With 1600 miles on our Rogue, there is the slightest vibration that can be felt in the steering column when the rpms are low and the car is coasting or with very little pressure on the accelerator. It is so slight as to be hardly noticeable. I am, however, coming from many years of manual transmssions. Like others have observed, to me it's like driving in too high a gear for the speed with a manual transmission. That said, the smoothness of the Rogue CVT is far and away preferable to the clunk and whoosh of downshifting in a conventional automatic. It's funny how those sounds and shimmies, the ones that conventional automatics produce, have become acceptable while the mild vibration of the CVT is not. It certainly doesn't seem like a big enough deal to be the focus of an entire review and its headline! But then again there's been a lot of strangeness comin' out of the NYTimes lately. Don't know what ails 'em these days.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I have no idea what the a writer is talking about regarding vibrations. She makes it sound like the Rogue shakes like my old 93 Accord with a bad motor mount.

I think zesty2b said it very well "It's funny how those sounds and shimmies, the ones that conventional automatics produce, have become acceptable while the mild vibration of the CVT is not. It certainly doesn't seem like a big enough deal to be the focus of an entire review and its headline!" Several of the reviewers of the Rogue seem to be objectionable to change that the CVT brings. To lead the story talking about vibrations??? No one else has. It has been discussed here that at a certain speed /Rpm there is a since of Slight vibrations to get into a high ratio for fuel economy but most state it is not a problem. Their also has been a member with an oil analisis that shows no wear problems from this design of the drive train so I have no worries.

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

wow, way to bring up the vibrations (that are pretty much non existent in my rogue) in the intro paragraph. ouch. the vibrations which are hardly noticeable and easily correctable if you just downshift with the paddle shifters (which you can even do with the stick in automatic).

what a pessimist.

whatever. i LOVE my rogue.

<^> ny times.

Return to “Rogue Forum”