Nose Mask question: anyone has any experiences with it? is it needed? thanks.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
albertwang16

Hi all,

I'm getting my rogue soon and just like everyone I would wish my car will never get a scrach or dent. Anyone has any experience put on a nose mask on your rogue or your privious cars?

Would it leave any marks and is it worth to spend the money on? ebay is selling it for about $100.

thanks all!

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

The thing with the nose masks, is you really have to take them on off, during the wet weather.

I would recommend getting 3M paint protection film. I have is on my new Rogue and on my other cars it is great, It has saved many a rock chip from happening. It is more money but worth it. IMO

albertwang16

hey, thanks for the tip!!

I found a photo online kinda showing how it is done. Do you installed yourself? if so, could you share some tips on where to buy it and what to look out for while putting it on? Many thanks!!!

rossifumi

regarding the 3m option, does anyone have long-term, practical experience to verify that over time, the paint under the clear cover will UV age along with the rest of the exposed paint job? Thus avoiding an unintentional two-tone paint job after about 4-6 years.

the thing about those leather bra covers is even in the dry, dirt works its way into the underside and then you have a lovely cheese grater effect over time.

if you're really concerned about staving off every last nick, dent and scratch, here's a couple minor tips.

Don't tailgate, *especially* a motorcycle. Rocks can shoot out from under the tire at high speed. These have been known to hole radiators on bikes that follow them.

Similarly, give lots of room to cyclists, especially those using road bikes with high PSI tires, and don't spend time going beside them in slow traffic. little rocks will always shoot out to the side, and hard. I regularly, and very unintentionally have this happen quite a lot. You always here the Bang, it's very loud and violent enough that I've never gotten used to it. I've never had the opportunity to inspect what type of damage occurs, but it's got to result in small dents/chips for sure.

Stay WELL back of Dump trucks, or any construction vehicles on the road that are covered in dirt. Or just pass them at the first opportunity. Similarly keep away from any off-road enthusiasts who look like they've been playing in the mud again.

albertwang16

how much would it cost to have it done? thank you.

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

The 3M has been on my Nissan Quest for 4 Years, you still can't tell that the protection film is on. On my Maxima that I traded for the Rogue it was on for 3 years again with no yellowing. The paint looks exactly the same. The cost for the 3M film is about 600 for the Rogue, installed.

rogueish
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

I had a mask on my wifes old Altima. Looked good! Just have to take it off from time to time and clean behind it and stuff. I saw a yellow Mustang today with that protective film. Don't know if it was 3M or not but it looked BAD. Didn't really "disappear", really blatant and ugly IMO. Just my 2cents.

albertwang16

wow, I didn't think it will cost as much as $600. A nose mask is about $100 I think. I can see the pros with 3M and the cons of having a nose mask, but $600 vs $100...hummm...

anyone else wants to share your 2 cents?

worldbikr
Car: na

These are the rogue 3M clear bra options from a vendor. I had the dealer install a hood fender type that just covers the lower part of the hood. It was part of the deal as I was the smartest car buyer. Noticed at the dealer today that they charge $689 for the bra and wheel locks - good profit there.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/c...ROGUE

worldbikr
Car: na

meant to say "was NOT smartest".

Wizard
Car: 2008 Rogue

For the do it you self person. Check this lnk.http://search.stores.ebay.com/...ofpZ0

TwistyO

I would wait awhile until someone makes a bug/wind deflector. They don't touch the paint and they don't change the look of the vehicle too much.

thenate1

I bought one online and installed it myself on my CRV. they can be tricky to get just right, you get the hang of it after a while though. You have to be patient. I like it so far.

Falcon124
Car: '08 Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT

I've had nosemasks installed on vehicles I have owned in the past and I love 'em. However they can also damage the fiinsh on your car if you don't follow one particular cardinal rule - DO NOT attach the bra (nosemask) to your car and simply forget about it. Otherwise you'll be saying "forget about my paint job". You have to remove it often and lighlty clean the side of it that contacts your vehicle to prevent dirt from building up and scratching the paint. And as someone has mentioned, if you happen to have it on when it's raining, you need to remove it ASAP and let it completely dry before re-attaching it. I think they really accent the look of a car if used and maintained properly. Has anybody tried installing both the 3M film and a nosemask? Just wondering if the nosemask causes the film to discolor.

philipa_240sx

I had a bug/wind deflector on my Altima. It was an OEM (or re-branded) accessory from the dealer. A few things to note:

- The rubber bumpers that keep it away from the paint are held with adhesive and will shift over time. I replaced them periodically.- The fit was not perfect and it rubbed the plastic grille in 2 spots.- You still need to remove it to wash behind it.

I ended up cracking mine and removed it after 4 yrs.

I have used the film before and prefer it as it's almost invisible. I applied 8" of film on the front of the hood. All from a simple DIY kit. The bumper is another story. Get a professional installer here as there are many curves and it can be a PITA. I opted not to do the bumper... and it will likely get chipped to hell just like every other car I've driven.

phantom of the opera
Car: 2008 Venom Red

You need to talk to originalstarlite in freshalloy/rogue: he has had two

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

The dealer I bought from wanted $700 for a clear bra so I went to a local auto body/accessories shop and had it done for $500. That included the front, part of the hood, and part of the front sides. Also included covering the head lamps.

This is something I sure wouldn't try installing myself. It turned out really good. The only thing you see is a slight line where it ends. I think it's much less noticeable than the rock chips you get during a Montana winter.

tomdewey
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

I've protected the entire front surface (bumper, hood front, nose) and side mirror surfaces of my new Rogue with 3M paint protection film. This tough film is essentially invisible and really protects the paint from bugs and road grit. (A nose mask looks goofy and also flaps around and mars the paint over time.) There are aftermarket film applicators all across the country. This is definitely not a do-it yourself job. & I'll be happy to send a photo - can't figure out how to include it with this post)

Return to “Rogue Forum”