Noob, backup mirror question

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Sprayy

Sorry for keep asking questions but can't find an answer...

When I backup the driver's side mirror tries to tilt down, but it keeps getting stuck, clicks, and wont reset itself when I put it back in drive properly, causing me to have to manually do it.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Is there any way to NOT have the mirror do that when backing up? I went through the setting and didnt see it.

Thanks and sorry for asking stupid questions D:

Sprayy

Thanks for the fast reply Eric!

Sadly I'm still not under warranty :( Any help with the pdf would be awesome, thanks!

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

The mirrors turn down..is this option only available to some M's? I remember test driving one that did it, but I don't think mine does..?

Sprayy

Wait if i move it to the middle will it not do that anymore? Negating my need to even do this repair? :P

Sprayy

Haha thanks! I'll get around to fixing it but that will help in the meantime.

I couldn't seem to find that actuator on the site..hrm

Other than that my new car is golden, getting tons of praise everywhere i go :)
infiniti_lineup wrote:
Sprayy wrote:Wait if i move it to the middle will it not do that anymore? Negating my need to even do this repair? :P
Yep, placing the selector in the middle disables this feature. Now you don't have to waste your time or money on the repair! :chuckle:

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

I had this issue fixed under warranty, and then it started doing it again when I changed my battery and the dealership said there was no problem (the first time they detected an electrical problem). It was still doing it when I got it back, so I tried moving it up and thn back down while in reverse (in my case it wouldn't click when I was trying to move it down manually, so I was able to get it to the lowest position, if it clicked, I would have moved it up again and not as far down, and you may not want it all the way down, set it where you want it for backing up) and then saving the settings to the memory (apparently the mirror position for reverse is stored seperately from the one for all other gears). I would definitely recommend trying that before going through with the repair.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

infiniti_lineup wrote:
DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:The mirrors turn down..is this option only available to some M's? I remember test driving one that did it, but I don't think mine does..?
Every M35/45 has this feature! On the mirror panel (the panel where you can change the direction of the mirror glass), turn the left/right mirror selector to either the left or right position and leave it there. Depending on which selection you choose, left or right, that mirror will now tilt downward when the car is placed in Reverse. :yesnod
I learned something new today, thanks! Seems kind of odd that you can only enable one mirror at a time though..

M-Pilot
Car: M35x

I, too, had to have this fixed. Works great, but it's kind of un-nerving (to me) to have the mirror tilt down when in reverse. Is this broken on both side mirrors? I noticed that having it switched to the passenger mirror seems to feel more natural...

EcstaSPT

Isn't there a module out there that will let both mirrors tilt at once?

Sprayy

I just put it in the middle, to be honest I prefer not having it tilt, it's sort of annoying.
M-Pilot wrote:I, too, had to have this fixed. Works great, but it's kind of un-nerving (to me) to have the mirror tilt down when in reverse. Is this broken on both side mirrors? I noticed that having it switched to the passenger mirror seems to feel more natural...

rgb129
Car: 2008 550i sport
RIP 2006 M35x

EcstaSPT wrote:Isn't there a module out there that will let both mirrors tilt at once?

Both of mine tilt...I believe the manual explains this.

EcstaSPT

Sounds like this on p. 3-27, which I didn't know it had. But I rarely use the tilt feature, so it'd be nice if both went down with just moving the switch when you wanted it.

Procedure for storing the outside mirror positions for best visibility
at reverse tilt-down feature
Two outside mirror positions for backing up can be stored in the automatic drive
positioner memory.
1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Push the ignition switch to the ON position.
(Do not start the engine.)
3. Push the memory switch 1 or 2 fully
for at least 1 second to operate the
automatic drive positioner.
4. Turn the outside mirror control switch
to L (left).
5. Depress the brake pedal.
6. Move the automatic transmission selector
lever to R (Reverse).
7. Adjust the mirror to the desired viewing position for backing up by operating
the outside mirror control switch.
8. Push the SET switch and, within 5 seconds, push the memory switch 1 or 2
selected in step 3 fully for at least 1second.

- The indicator light for the pushed memory switch will come on and stay
on for approximately 5 seconds after pushing the switch. After the indicator
light goes off, the selected mirror position is stored in the selected
memory (1 or 2).
9. Turn the outside mirror control switch
to R (right).
Repeat the above procedure to adjust the right mirror position and store in
the selected memory.
- When the driver's seat, outside mirror and steering column are not in the
memorized position, the outside mirror will move with the initial tiltdown
angle, if the reverse tilt-down position is stored.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Nice. I'll try this once I get my car back (I miss it already)

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

wait - EcstaSPT are you telling me that if i follow that procedure, both of my mirrors will tilt down automatically without me adjusting the switch to either left or right position? This is the mirror adjustment selector switch that i'm refering to.

has anyone tried and can confirmed this?

EcstaSPT

Not sure if it works, I just copied it from the manual. Since rgb said both of his tilt, and moving the switch side to side most definitely does not make both tilt, I figured this was the only way.

The00Dustin

I believe there is a module to make both tilt. I believe there are links to it somewhere on this forum, but I don''t remember where. I know the site has a few modules that do different things and a replacement push button that looks exactly like ours (possibly for converting non-pb cars to pb). That procedure ecsta posted is what I was saying might resolve the clicking if the part isn't actually bad, what I had to do when mine started again after being replaced, except I only performed it on the side that I use, as the other side doesn't need to be set since I don't use it.

The00Dustin

Found it with a quick search:
http://www.kptechnologies.com/products. ... =Universal
There was also a post about Burtman Industries having it, but this is the link where I saw it. The post was actually about another module to lock the doors at a certain speed.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”