noise issue/identification

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
alfieonline
Car: 2011 G37x

Hi,
New poster to the boards but been reading them for many years. I have a 2011 Infiniti G37x, auto, stock, 60k miles. Car is in very good condition (garaged all the time). I do the oil changes every 5k with PU; PureOne/Wix filters. Several weeks ago, I started noticing a sound coming from what seems to be the transmission bump (under the shifter or elbow rest); at least that where I pinpoint it from the driver's seat). I gotten others to hear it, but it's pretty subtle, so not sure if I can record it. The best way I can describe it is a throaty sounds like a burble/gurgle, or a deep whir/whine (kinda like an electric motor out of balance or that has added resistance)... It's a sound it should not be making/did not make when new (these cars are whisper quiet in idle). It is faint in D & N, and gets a little worse when under load in R or D. If you feather the throttle gently between about 2-3k RPMs, it gets more noticeable. Can't hear when driving/above 3k, and there is no check engine light. Maintenance that is probably past due are battery and serpentine belt, but I can't see how these two might contribute. I haven't been under the car since the last oil change which was about in August. I believe this started after that change(?), but not immediately after (probably began in mid-late Sept). My thoughts:
- tranny issue, like a bad pump, but shifting seems normal, and no vibrations in the stick (worst case)
- electrical issue since the battery is getting a little old
- something in the exhaust stack is getting loose/worn, like a hanger or a joint
- loose heat shield - is there one? (best case)

Thoughts???
Thanks, Michael

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I'm hoping others will respond, I don't know your car very well. As much as I wish this was a heat shield, that is typically a rattle/ vibration, not a gurgle or whine.

Is the sound always there while the car is on? Does it matter if your AC is on or off?

I do wonder if you've checked your transmission fluid level and color. Can you do that and report back?

Are you pretty certain of the source of the sound? I read elsewhere that the belts can start to make this sound and you mention not having had your belts done yet... power steering would whine and gurgle (check your power steering fluid levels while you're at it).

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”