Nissan Skyline in Japan (Military)

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
JeepSheepNC
Car: 2003 Jeep Rubicon
1988 Toyota Pick-Up SR5 22RE

Gents,

After recently doing some searches I came across your forum and a discussion started by a military member and him purchasing and bringing back a Skyline from Japan. I recently received orders to Camp Zama (Kanagawa prefecture) and will be completing my PCS move there at the end of the year. I'm not authorized to bring a POV so I will definitely be getting some type of vehicle over there. I would prefer it to be a R32 Skyline. I will be in Japan for approx. the next two years. My real question is: Is there anyone around who completed a buying process of a Skyline of Japan and then brought it back? Is there anything I can start doing now to work with a reputable seller over there? What do I need to ensure that I have when I complete the buying process? The last thing I want to do is buy the first thing I see and it end up being something not worth the price tag. I will be honest in saying that I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to the Skyline and that this entire experience will be one giant PITA. Any recommendations and/or comments are welcome and thanks in advance for your time.

-Jordan

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. I can't answer your questions about purchasing a vehicle while in Japan but I can at least help give you info on the importation process once you're ready to bring it over. I've put together a guide on importing a JDM car on my blog and I hope it can shed light on a lot of your questions:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/04/buying ... 1-one.html

Being in the military you'll probably have an easier time than most after you finish your tour since you shouldn't have to pay for shipping. You will have to cover the broker's fees and other importation costs once it arrives in the US but at least you save a lot on the shipping.

If you look around my blog you'll also find tips on inspecting an R32, rare ones to watch out for, and a bunch of other stuff.

TaraFirma

Info that GSX-R35 is realy good.
Unfortunately, since he was not authorised to take a POV to Japan, he'll have to pay shipping to bring one back. Still worth it though.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

TaraFirma wrote:Info that GSX-R35 is realy good.
Unfortunately, since he was not authorised to take a POV to Japan, he'll have to pay shipping to bring one back. Still worth it though.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense that with no POV authorization he wouldn't be able to ship a car back with him. At least he can choose one in person while there so he still has advantages over us poor guys back here in the US lol.

TaraFirma

Yes, Very true. I'm planning a trip to Japan from Korea where I can hit up Up Garage an get a few parts for my GTR. Advantage is that I can ship them from the APO in Japan to the APO in Korea at 0 cost.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

I recently completed the process of having my '89 GTR that I had owned for about two years here in Japan sent back to the US where my brother is driving it currently (it's his car now). I did it via private means, but tons of people are doing it via TMO/gov't conveyance and there will be no shortage of information on how to do that when you get here.

Alot of Skylines over here are not worth the price tag, and they will nickel and dime you to death if you purchase one that has issues (and they all have issues). I'm tired of seeing "pristine" in for-sale ads on these, because not a single one is close. If you're a younger enlisted dude, hold off, enjoy Japan, and save up a bit.

TaraFirma

usafdarkhorse wrote:I recently completed the process of having my '89 GTR that I had owned for about two years here in Japan sent back to the US where my brother is driving it currently (it's his car now). I did it via private means, but tons of people are doing it via TMO/gov't conveyance and there will be no shortage of information on how to do that when you get here.

Alot of Skylines over here are not worth the price tag, and they will nickel and dime you to death if you purchase one that has issues (and they all have issues). I'm tired of seeing "pristine" in for-sale ads on these, because not a single one is close. If you're a younger enlisted dude, hold off, enjoy Japan, and save up a bit.
What port did you ship ot to in the US?
Who handled getting the car through customs once it got to the US
How much did it all cost?

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

It shipped from Nagoya to Jacksonville, FL.

JDM EXPO in Japan sent it outbound, and Rivsu brokered the car through once it arrived. The two companies work together (sometimes not so well).

Close to $4K. Since my brother purchased the car, I didn't mind too much, and I'm still bringing back another car ('90 NSX).

TaraFirma

$4k! holy s*** that was a pricey shipment. I guess that was in a container all by itself and that's why it was that much?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”