Nissan Rogue GPS screen

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Can it look any cheaper? Looks like a screen shot of asteroids.

Why do all car Manufacturers have cheap looking in-dash GPS animation compared to stand alone. Just a pet peeve.
Last edited by casperfun on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

It's hard to say since I haven't seen it in person, but I agree, that map image looks pretty weak.

My cheap $200 Garmin looks awesome, the icons have a 3D look and so do the streets and points of interest. But like I said, I haven't seen it in person so maybe it's much better than that image conveys, but bottom line is that a high quality map image is not costly anymore and high quality graphics and functionality has quickly become an industry standard, hopefully Nissan is on par with the standard and not stuck in the ATARI age!!!

casperfun

Just as cell phones, flat screen tvs, and laptops have gone down in price. You would think that at least the graphics would go up. I understand the upcost that Dealers are allowed to make so there be a profit. But If a customer is charged a couple of thousands of dollars at least get the graphics looking nice.

Now that cell phones and all in one mini electronics have gps, you would think that some of the famous GPS like tom tom and garmin would license their products to become indash for manufactuers. They already let Nissan sell a garmin unit for them. Nice to have that incorporated within the indash computer software. Just dreaming. THAT I wouldn't mind spending a few thousand for. :)
Is it me or are all in dash GPS by ONLY car manufactuers are all 2d?

Leo2005

It reminds me a 8-bit graphic game. Anyway...I'm sure Nissan will offer next year or two dvd so you can upgrade your map for about $300. I agree...very nice investment :D

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

casperfun wrote:Why do all car Manufacturers have cheap looking in-dash GPS animation compared to stand alone.
Not all do.

casperfun

takeshi wrote:
casperfun wrote:Why do all car Manufacturers have cheap looking in-dash GPS animation compared to stand alone.
Not all do.
Well excluding the luxury market. As for the majority of normal average vehicles. A couple of thousands for a basic 2D map is not very value added for the consumer.
Just saying. :sad:

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I agree, if it looks low-quality and cheap now, think about how bad it will be in say 5+ years. Spend $2 grand on a marginal in-dash GPS system now and not only won't it help resale value later on but it might actually harm it.

I've never been very happy with the cost of some options packages, particularly most of the NAV packages which are so overpriced and sometimes very mediocre. I test drove a Mitsubishi Outlander and it had a great NAV system but they wanted $3500 for the package!!! Granted it included some other stuff like all packages do, but still way overpriced and they can do it because your perception is skewed when purchasing a vehicle. Compared to the total cost of a say $30,000 vehicle $3500 maybe doesn't sound like much at the time, but if you were out shopping for a standalone GPS on any other day you'd never even consider it.

The fact still remains, my $200 Garmin "suction cup" mounted GPS has an awesome display, interface and functionality and I wouldn't expect anything less from an in-dash manufacturer's unit which costs many times that of a typical portable GPS.

philipa_240sx

I drove my parents Lexus RX350 a few months ago. You figure a $50K (Canada) luxury crossover from a well respected make should have the best nav system in the world... guess what? It's a PITA to use and is anything but intuitive. Any Garmin or Tom Tom GPS would walk all over it for ease of use.

Oh, it doesn't do 3D either...

pawprint
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/technology package

I think the Rogue looks better with the GPS system than without; however it seems very low on the dashboard. Shouldn't it be closer to the windshield for safety? Like the Lexus pictured above, or the Murano.

Leo2005

Well...you can hope that in new redesigned Rogue you will get similar idea like infiniti doing on their interior. Since these days some nissan cars are using infiniti look I bet one day we will get the same interior in Rogue just like Murano or Maxima. And then you will say Infiniti inside of the Nissan :)

rayjgold
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue, SL package AWD

I just got the 2011 rogue a week ago, and I think the Graphics are great! It's the best GPS I've ever had....but I've only had two $200 portables in the past....Magellan and Garmin. The turn by turn directions were great.....It tells you accurately how many blocks there is till your next turn.

My only complaints would be that it is a little too low on the dash and the screen in only 5inches. Even cars nowadays have at least 7".

rayjgold

rayjgold wrote: It's the best GPS I've ever had...
After a few weeks of Owning the car and using the GPS, I have to retract this statement. Although i still think the graphics are fine, this is far from the best GPS I've used.

I explain why on a review of the car Posted on 12/17/10

bag
Car: 2007 Honda Civic EX

pawprint wrote:I think the Rogue looks better with the GPS system than without; however it seems very low on the dashboard. Shouldn't it be closer to the windshield for safety? Like the Lexus pictured above, or the Murano.

I'm shopping around for a new vehicle right now, and I have it narrowed down to the 2011 Rogue, 2011 Tucson, or a 2011 Sportage. There is a lot I like about the Rogue, but 1 thing I really do NOT like is what you mentioned -- the position of the nav screen on the dash. That whole center dash layout seems terrible. I guess they needed it lower to put the vents where they are. But I really think the low nav system seems impractical and potentially dangerous for those who like to view it while driving. In addition to the nav screen, the temp controls are also pushed lower than what I see in most other vehicles, and they seemed just out of "safe" reach for me while driving.

Can anyone else share their experience on the positioning of the center dash items (nav screen and temp controls) -- negative, positive, or neutral? This really might be "the thing" that causes me not to buy the Rogue. (Of course the picture you posted of the Murano makes me wonder if maybe I should take a look at that vehicle... it's probably too big for my liking though).

philipa_240sx

bag wrote:Can anyone else share their experience on the positioning of the center dash items (nav screen and temp controls) -- negative, positive, or neutral? This really might be "the thing" that causes me not to buy the Rogue. (Of course the picture you posted of the Murano makes me wonder if maybe I should take a look at that vehicle... it's probably too big for my liking though).
True, the HVAC controls are quite low. I kinda preferred the way the Alty was laid out. This is a '10 model, but the '03 I used to have was similar:

rayjgold

bag wrote: I'm shopping around for a new vehicle right now, and I have it narrowed down to the 2011 Rogue, 2011 Tucson, or a 2011 Sportage. There is a lot I like about the Rogue, but 1 thing I really do NOT like is what you mentioned -- the position of the nav screen on the dash. That whole center dash layout seems terrible. I guess they needed it lower to put the vents where they are. But I really think the low nav system seems impractical and potentially dangerous for those who like to view it while driving. In addition to the nav screen, the temp controls are also pushed lower than what I see in most other vehicles, and they seemed just out of "safe" reach for me while driving.

Can anyone else share their experience on the positioning of the center dash items (nav screen and temp controls) -- negative, positive, or neutral? This really might be "the thing" that causes me not to buy the Rogue. (Of course the picture you posted of the Murano makes me wonder if maybe I should take a look at that vehicle... it's probably too big for my liking though).
Of the 3 cars mentioned, I would say that the Rogue is better....I had the same choice to make 3 months ago and chose the rogue. The thing that put me off the Hyundia was the sunroof feature....it took up the full length of the roof and forced you to remove th roof racks. but if you dont care about that, the hyundai definitely looks better inside than the rogue.....the nav is bigger and probably works better too. I do think the Nav is dangerously low in the Rogue as well, but you get us too it and dont have to look at it too much with all the directions it gives....e.g.. " make the third right turn" etc.. I didnt think the AC controls were a problem at all. I leave it on auto most of the time anyway. For me, I found the rogue to be cheaper fully loaded than the other two. If the murano was an option, I would chose that hands down...youd get use to the size.

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

We have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and have been very satisfied with the factory nav in it. Just updated the mapping and it's right on the money.

If I were in the market for a CUV now, hands down I'd go with the Kia Sportage. Test drove one few months back and was very, very tempted to trade my Rogue on the spot. A complete world of difference in the two vehicles, while I do love my Rogue, the Sportage feels it is years newer in design, dash layout, content... Are you listening Nissan?

Ray

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

I can't speak for the NAV function, but at last year's Auto Show, I messed around with the radio/MP3 in a Murano with NAV and the display/info layout was really dumb.

The Hyundai vehicles with NAV units had FAR more sensible layouts.

mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

Look for the next generation Rogue to have a much better designed dashboard, something like the Jukes.

Return to “Rogue Forum”