Nissan issues small recall for big problem with 2014 LEAF

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
mountainev
Car: Nissan Altima

Nissan is recalling certain 2014 LEAF vehicles built within a 13-day period that may be missing critical spot welds. The good news: very few vehicles are affected by this serious problem.

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/nissan-i ... -2014-leaf

Recalls are not a good thing. "Luckily for Nissan, the recall issued for certain 2014 LEAFs built between February 28, 2014 and March 12, 2014 only applies to 211 vehicles in the United States and another 65 in Canada. The cause: possibly missing spot welds on a front structural member.

Without the welds in question, the occupants of the affected vehicles are far more vulnerable in a frontal collision. Thankfully no injuries or deaths have yet been reported as a result of this manufacturing boo-boo, and Nissan has rightfully offered to replace the vehicles in question free of charge.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Nissan Leaf recall might replace entire vehicle, in some cases

The welds in question are located on each side of the motor just above the sway bar ends. If the welds are there, no worries; then the vehicle is released to the customer with no further action needed.

If the welds are missing, well... that's a horse of a different feather. The official recall notice from NHTSA says that if ANY welds are missing, the vehicle is to be replaced. Yes, believe it or not, the entire vehicle could be replaced under this recall.

In the documents released by NHTSA, Nissan says: "The inspected vehicles will be inspected and if the welds are missing, Nissan will replace the customer's vehicle with a new one at no additional cost. it is anticipated that only a handful of retailed vehicles are affected by the weld issue and require vehicle replacement."

The recall does not go into effect until the middle of June but owners are advised to contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261, or NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline: 1-888-327-4236.

Why would they replace the entire vehicle, and not just the missing welds? Are you curious?

Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Nissan-L ... vZpdfvB.99

mountainev

Exactly, why are they not replacing just those parts? Is there more involved in this?

What do you think Rogue One?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I'll be at my local dealership Monday morning, so I'll ask for details. I'm assuming it has something to do with the location of the affected area, and the possibility that the car would have to be completely stripped down in order to make a safe repair.

mountainev

Sounds good. I will look forward to hearing more about this.

Return to “Leaf Forum”