Nissan GTR - Motor Trend Car of the Year

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Motor Trend Magazine today named the Nissan GT-R as its 2009 car of the year, saying that it delivers a world class level of performance at a much more affordable price.

Angus MacKenzie, editor-in-chief of Motor Trend, said that none of the other 2009 competitors "crushed" the magazine's criteria like the GT-R did.

"The Nissan GT-R rewrites the rule-book for high-performance vehicles," MacKenzie said in a statement released by Nissan.

"This technologically advanced coupe delivers a level of performance, handling, and efficiency that rivals the world's best-known supercars, at a fraction of the price."

The 2009 GT-R is the sixth generation of Nissan's flagship sports car and the first to come from a "clean slate" design, with the previous versions based on Japanese-market models.

The vehicle features an all-new VR38DETT 3.8-liter twin-turbo V-6 engine and GR6 six-speed twin-clutch transmission, both hand assembled by a single technician.

It also is the first production car to include independent trans-axle four-wheel drive, which uses a rear-mounted transaxle and two independent propeller shafts to allow each axle to control tire grip without manipulation of the other.

Other contenders for the award included the Acura TL, Acura TSX, Audi A4, BMW 135i, Dodge Challenger R/T, Honda Fit, Hyundai Genesis, Jaguar XF, Lincoln MKS, Mazda6, Nissan GT-R, Nissan Maxima, Pontiac G8, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix and Volkswagen Passat CC.

Last year's winner was the Cadillac CTS.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

While I applaud Nissan with this feat, I do have to say that I would really like to see a real world, long term test done to a GT-R.

Put it in the hands of some decent editors of a like minded auto magazine (one where they actually drive the car and not baby it) and see what happens and how much money they have to shell out for it for maintenance and what not.

If the car lives up to it's reputation, Nissan better be ready to fend off the compitition in the next few years, as the GT-R seems to have set the bar for value priced supercars.

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

3 months is not a long term test.

Odd that car of the year has just halted production. I do not think this is speculation.

productionhttp://jalopnik.com/5062550/ni...ssues

originating sourcehttp://www.m3post.com/forums/s...82934

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

jt15833 wrote:3 months is not a long term test.
Um... it hasn't been out longer than that. They'll keep it longer.

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

In my opinion, this car is not doing well.

Neither is Nissan with publicity or product integrity.

The whole launch control/VDC = void warranty is BULLSH!TWhy in god's name would they put these functions in the car, BUTTON accessible, that are obviously causing serious ($20,000 +) issues to the car. They may state the text in their owners manual about voiding the warranty, but all that is asking for is millions (yes millions) of dollars in useless product at their dealerships, and many angry customers.

The GT-R has gone from a praised car by many communities to highly frowned upon. Browsing other forums will no doubt lead to this conclusion.

I would be surprised if this doesn't get resolveda) by Nissan by upholding a proper warrantyb) in court

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”