Nissan and their poor help

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Coreykrhn
Car: Nissan sentra spec-v

Now nissan is saying the fact the engine burning oil made my cat go bad and they wont cover it and i told them they better research into it more any ideas or help anyone can offer

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Your CAT should be covered under warranty, as it is a federally regulated part of your car. I would go back to them on this. Is your car still under the regular warranty?

EL MAMITO USMC
Car: SENTRA SER

if you post some info on your car that would help and its still under warranty

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Probably would have been better to add this to your previous thread...

Anyway, your engine started burning a significant amount of oil most likely BECAUSE the precat failed, not the other way around. Furthermore, as long as you can prove you kept up with maintenance and that any modifications you have (if you have any) did not create the oil burning issue that they claim caused the precat failure, it's still definitely their fault.

Is this direct from Nissan corporate or is this the dealer talking?

Coreykrhn

nametakennow wrote:Probably would have been better to add this to your previous thread...

Anyway, your engine started burning a significant amount of oil most likely BECAUSE the precat failed, not the other way around. Furthermore, as long as you can prove you kept up with maintenance and that any modifications you have (if you have any) did not create the oil burning issue that they claim caused the precat failure, it's still definitely their fault.

Is this direct from Nissan corporate or is this the dealer talking?
This is what corp told me there dealership said. Now i have had the car since april and it just recently started smoing so can i still prove them wrong? and i have it logged in my computer when i did the oil changes and what not and it has no mods on it because of the fact the engine started messing up they are all still in the boxes brand new

nametakennow

This isn't making a lot of sense. There's no reason burning oil should be acceptable, and, furthermore, it's a symptom of precat disintegration, not the other way around. Unfortunately, your logs of oil changes probably won't suffice, you'd have to have receipts from a lube shop (sucks for people who do their own changes) to prove you did them in a timely manner.

Have you asked them why it started burning oil in the first place? Since they claim that's how you got precat failure, seems to me it's still their faulty engine design causing the problem since your car is stock.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

EL MAMITO USMC wrote:if you post some info on your car that would help and if it's still under warranty
Please. What year is it, and how many miles?

nametakennow

It's an '03 Spec with ~56k.

Other thread- zer...-san1

Fixed spelling of "their" in title, it was bugging me.

Coreykrhn

nametakennow wrote:It's an '03 Spec with ~56k.

Other thread- zer...-san1

Fixed spelling of "their" in title, it was bugging me.
^^ yea its a 03 spec 56k its been about 3 days since i have heard from them again. not having a car sucks

Buzzman

nametakennow wrote:Fixed spelling of "their" in title, it was bugging me.
Thanks. I didn't want to say anything, but it was bugging me too.

As for the car, unless warranties are a lot longer in the U.S., this thing is past it's best before date. You've got a fight on your hands.Good luck.

OK, just read through the other thread. Should have read that first. Sorry.

(why 2 threads on the same issue, BTW?)

Coreykrhn

Buzzman wrote:
Thanks. I didn't want to say anything, but it was bugging me too.

As for the car, unless warranties are a lot longer in the U.S., this thing is past it's best before date. You've got a fight on your hands.Good luck.

OK, just read through the other thread. Should have read that first. Sorry.

(why 2 threads on the same issue, BTW?)
I was on the phone with them when i made this thread i was kinda mad, and i wasn't thinking. Yes, I do have a fight but i am not giving up on it. I am still under mileage on the power train warrenty although yes the 5 years is up, i had a site that said a 12 month grace period is offered if ur under the mileage still but that could be false i will find the link and post it.

Buzzman

Keep us posted on your progress.Thx.

Coreykrhn

So, on Halloween I finally received a call from Nissan saying we will not assist you on fixing your car. The lady said the have reviewed the file many times and the my problem was vise versa, as in my cat messed up because my engine messed up first. I then explained to her how the actual reason the engine messed up and she said i am sorry there is nothing i can do. I called Nissan "the dealer near my house" asking how much a long Block would cost, and they gave me a price of 2,357 with but that is only for a refurbished one only and i have to give them my old one. Does anyone know anywhere i could get a better deal if not ill just stick with mine and me and my buddy are going to do the swap

nametakennow

That's ridiculous. How can they prove that? Hell, why on earth is such a young car burning oil that badly anyway?

This boggles my mind, man.

Your only other decent swap option is to find a wrecked SE-R in a junkyard. Check locally and the internet, many of them are in networks that can send parts from one yard to the other.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

nametakennow wrote:This isn't making a lot of sense. There's no reason burning oil should be acceptable, and, furthermore, it's a symptom of precat disintegration, not the other way around.
??? this doesn't make sence, and I agree there is no reason a 56k mile engine should be buring oil, something internally is wrong and must be addressed, but a disentigrating cat will go out the tail pipe, not into the engine, so the eingine can mess up a cat but I fail to see how a cat can mess up an engine, you need to find out wht it's buring oil, how is the oil pressure? have you done a copression test?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Have you tried taking the car to a different dealer? If what you are saying is true, then this is ridiculous. The recall regarding the cat disintegration directly explains how it is the fuel map on the ECU that causes the cat to tear apart, which then in turn causes cylinder wall scoring and oil consumption.

The only thing they have you on is the fact that your car is just outside of warranty, so technically they don't have to honor it. However, to say that your car was burning oil and that caused the problem is a flat out lie. I would take the car to a different dealer and speak directly with the Service Manager. Don't even talk to an advisor. Just request an appointment to speak to the Service Manager and tell them you know about the recall. In fact, I would google to find the exact wording of the recall and read it carefully so you can go in fully knowledgeable on the subject. My brother's '02 had his engine covered under warranty for this exact same thing.

spddemon
Car: 2004 Nissan Sentra BaseS

I would take a printout of the recall too just in case.

nametakennow

evildky wrote:??? this doesn't make sence, and I agree there is no reason a 56k mile engine should be buring oil, something internally is wrong and must be addressed, but a disentigrating cat will go out the tail pipe, not into the engine, so the eingine can mess up a cat but I fail to see how a cat can mess up an engine, you need to find out wht it's buring oil, how is the oil pressure? have you done a copression test?
The exhaust valves are open during the intake cycle to act as an EGR without having an EGR tube. If the precat disintegrates, pieces of it can be sucked into the cylinders rather than harmlessly going out the back.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

As EZ has already said, gather all the information you can on this issue, which is obviously a quite known issue and take it all with you to the dealer. Plus you are not out of warranty on powertrain, 5y/60k miles. Warranty of Emissions, 8yr/80k miles. The wifes ECU in her spec was just replaced under the emissions warranty and they tried to play stupid at first and until I educated them on the fact, I'm not stupid. Her car also burns oil, when ever it wants. This past oil change it did not. Car only has 65k miles on it, has done it since the beginning.

evildky

nametakennow wrote:
The exhaust valves are open during the intake cycle to act as an EGR without having an EGR tube. If the precat disintegrates, pieces of it can be sucked into the cylinders rather than harmlessly going out the back.
that just sounds like a bad idea, I would assume there si some sort of variable valve timing so it doesn't do this all the time right? otherwise it would be horribbly inefficient, you effective reduce the volumetric efficiency of an engine when doing this and that's no way to make power

nismo4life11
Car: 01 Nissan Sentra SE
05 Nissan 350ZR

its not bad or inefficient its just a way nissan found to have a less moving parts and less complicated way of dealing with unburnt exhaust fumes coming out of the motor (instead of having the whole EGR system). Plus its not like the valves are open all that long together its probably just milli seconds. Nissan engineers know what there doing for the most part. I guess they just dont know what materials to use for a cat. Glad i got the 2001 SE with the sr20!!

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

evildky wrote:that just sounds like a bad idea, I would assume there si some sort of variable valve timing so it doesn't do this all the time right? otherwise it would be horribbly inefficient, you effective reduce the volumetric efficiency of an engine when doing this and that's no way to make power
The QR25DE does have CVVT.

nametakennow

A more advanced variant of the same CVVT is used on VQ--VHRs and QR25HR (or whatever the actual designation is for the new ones). Yes, the idea is to have fewer moving parts. Hell, the latest VQ doesn't even have throttle bodies, it's all controlled with the valves.

Anyway, essentially Nissan hadn't worked out all the kinks, and the QR has some other quirks (oil consumption, poorly designed butterfly screws) that probably add to the likelihood of precat failure, and, therefore, engine destruction.

evildky

nismo4life11 wrote:its not bad or inefficient its just a way nissan found to have a less moving parts and less complicated way of dealing with unburnt exhaust fumes coming out of the motor (instead of having the whole EGR system). Plus its not like the valves are open all that long together its probably just milli seconds. Nissan engineers know what there doing for the most part. I guess they just dont know what materials to use for a cat. Glad i got the 2001 SE with the sr20!!
it is inefficient, if a part of the intake cycle of the piston is wasted drawing burnt exhaust back in then less fresh air can be drawn in, this results in lower volumetric efficiency wich by definition is inefficient

and adding variable valve timing and deleting the EGR doesn't reduce the number of moving parts it just moves them, if they want fewer moving parts why not go rotary? 3 moving parts! one escentric shaft, 2 rotors, no pistons, no rods, no cams, just a "majic power barrel", come to think of it maybe it is a rotary that explains the oil consumption

I guess I'm just getting to be an old fart that likes the good old days of engines with static cam timing and no cats

Buzzman

evildky wrote:
I guess I'm just getting to be an old fart that likes the good old days of engines with static cam timing and no cats
And go back to the days of carburetors, automatic chokes that never worked properly, plus points, condensers, distributor caps and such? No thanks.I'm an older fart too, and I don't miss that stuff at all.Not having to change spark plugs every 6 months or replacing ignition wires once a year is great. There are things that will go wrong with new technology too, but it's nothing like it used to be. Cars are so much better now.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”