Newbie to Forum, but not to Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
VikingLS

Just came across the forums this week, what a great resource!

I am in the market for a used car and have begun looking at Maxima's again. I used to have a 91 SE, and I knew about the timing belt issue. I am now looking at a couple, one a 99 SE and another 01.

What things must I be on the lookout for or plan on replacing very early on in ownership?

Also, what were the differences in the 95-99 and the 00-04 models? Anything substantial, as I am looking at hauling around a family of 4 (2 teenage boys) in the car - Thanks!

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

The 99 is an A32 chassis, and the '01 is an A33 chassis. The '01 has got a bit more power (222 vs. 190 in the A32 models). There are also probably some more changes which our more knowledgable members can inform you about. One nice thing about both A32 and A33 models is that the VQ30 engine uses a timing chain, not a belt. In 2002 the car got a more powerful 3.5L engine and in 2004 was totally redesigned.

As for things to look out for, ignition coils were a problem on the '00-'01 models. Other than that they are very reliable cars. My '01 I30 has been great, I've had no non-maintenance expenditures on it in the time I've owned it.

VikingLS

Also, what are major differences between the Maxima and the I30 and I35's?

What are some reasons to look at the I series over the Maximas?

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

The major differences are cosmetics and a few luxury features. The I30 has 227hp vs. the Maxima's 222, but that isn't noticable. The I30 also generally features a rear pop-up sunshade and has the Infiniti analog clock. Other than that they are mechanically the same car. Infiniti dealer service is also generally better than Nissan service.

As for reasons to choose the I-class, it's a matter of personal preference. They're really the same car.

NSR240sxe
Car: '97 Kouki S14, '98 Sentra SE

Welcome to NICO!!!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

VikingLS wrote:Also, what were the differences in the 95-99 and the 00-04 models? Anything substantial, as I am looking at hauling around a family of 4 (2 teenage boys) in the car - Thanks!
These are probably the most similar two generations of all for the Maxima. They have essentially the same engine (though the later models made more power), are still similarly designed and similar in size, and have similar suspension setups. For '04 there was a total redesign and that generation is different in quite a few ways (larger, with IRS and a more powerful motor to name a few).

As noted by MattB above, these Maximas don't have belts like your 91 did. Maximas haven't used timing belts since 1994, so you don't need to worry about that anymore.
VikingLS wrote:Also, what are major differences between the Maxima and the I30 and I35's?

What are some reasons to look at the I series over the Maximas?
Differences between the Maxima and I were 100% aesthetic. Different front and rear fascia and different trim inside and out. Both can be found with auto or manual transmissions, and in luxury or sport trim. It just comes down to which one you think looks best.

One reason to consider purchasing an I over a Maxima, though, is for Infiniti service. While there are some great Nissan dealers out there, Infiniti dealers are fairly well known for their excellent customer service. It's part of the premium that you pay for that Infiniti logo.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”