New TSB - Fuel Pump for EX35 - Again!!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
mcube3

Long story short I went in for an oil change and the service manager told me that there's a TSB for our fuel pump. Here's our conversation:

SM: How much fuel do you have in the tank now?Me: 3/4 tank, Why?SM: We've got a TSB here for the EX's fuel pumpMe: Is the system showing that I've got that taken care of earlier this year? (Buzzing noise issue)SM: Yup, but this is a new oneMe: What?SM: Yeah Infiniti just issued a TSB earlier this month for it. They want us to check all the EX if they got a newer fuel pump. You'll be getting a letter in the mail soon.Me: I thought the replacement fixed the buzzing issueSM: We'll check and replace those who doesn't have a matching part number to the newer part.

That's all. So keep an eye out for a letter from Infiniti.

BTW I saw them unloading a brand spanking new G37 hard-top convertible when I was there. That thing was sooooooooo freaking nice

Car: 09 G37s, 08 EX35 Journey RWD, 06 Honda S2000, 04 Acura TSX,

I got the owner information recall for fuel pump and steering column electrical title motor and telescopic motor.

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

Oy Vey!!! Not again.....

sg77
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I got the recall letter a few days ago for the fuel pump and steering column.Did the service manager really mean a new TSB was issued this month, or did he mean the recall was issued this month? There's been a TSB ITB08-025 since May 23, 2008 for "fuel pump noise". But I wonder if that TSB has been updated or a new one issued. The old one said the replacement part number is 17040-1BA0B. Is that the same part number they're using now?

EX-lover
Car: Infiniti EX 35

I am getting my fuel pump replacement tomorrow. The service manager told me the parts are in great demand. Yes, SM (john) asked me to keep my tank at 1/4 full.

cjre1

17040-1BA0B, this is the new fuel pump part that is current. There is not another TSB for this issue. I just checked all the TSB's.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

cjre1 wrote:17040-1BA0B, this is the new fuel pump part that is current.
Mine was replaced Aug 19/08 and that is the EXACT part number quoted on my invoice. If this part was used over 9 months ago on my car, why the flurry of letters and confusion all of a sudden?!?

David

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

The confusion lies with our friendly neighborhood forum

If you read the first page of the TSB it says that a check needs to be performed to see if the part was already installed. If the EX in question has the 1BA0B pump than no action should be taken. This warranty recall line is automatically generated whenever a new repair order ticket is created. This is a great benefit of the Infiniti Network, as it seems that many of the service consultants have already had this replaced.

When SalsAsianMike had his EX in recently I looked at his FP because the line was already on the ticket but he had the part replaced already, there is NO reason to replace the FP assembly if it already has the updated part number.

The reason the mailers are only getting to some of you know is because Infiniti tries to time the mailers so the parts demand does not exceed its supply. The usually do it by region. Before internet forums and cross country communication between owners a phased recall worked fine but now there is a little confusion as people have read about this online already but have yet to see anything.

So to sum up -If you have had the pump replaced already and you have the 1BA0B pump then you are in the clear.-If you receive a mailer and do not have the noise, or know that it was replaced disregard it. -This also applies for the steering column. Before this recall we were replacing the upper steering column assembly, so that may not be needed (see the Note below) -Many SAs are a little gung ho or shotgunning parts, there are tests that should be performed to do this correctly. -A 1/4 of a tank of fuel is ideal and some will refuse to work on it if it is more, but it really does not effect the procedure. You are just as likely to spill it with 1/2 as you are with 1/4, some guys really hate digging through a full tank. -They need to be very careful with your interior, Personally I have found that using an industrial garbage bag opened over the area protects the carpet and trim. Discharging fuel pressure can be tricky (single feed system) if they cover the line while disconnecting this usually resolves the plume of fuel that tends to fly all over the place.

Note There is a test for the steering column that has us test the operation while applying resistance to test its motion. If your car fails (regardless of prior service) the motors get replaced.

cjre1

Does anyone know if the dealer gets the recalls list on there computer after you bought a car. For example, you buy a car, sit down with the service manager he types in your vin# and no recalls/TSB's are there. Does this mean that either they were done, or there are none for your car?

Thanks.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

If they ran what is called a ServeComm on your vehicle before you took the keys this will check for warranty exemptions (none on a new car) and any pending recalls. HOWEVER, recalls like the FP and steering column ones on the EX appear randomly, I think these both came out on a Tuesday, the SA has no ability to see upcoming recalls so at the time they checked there may very well have been nothing there and a day later you might have two.

It's just the way it goes.

If they used the system that typical manufacturers use they would have no access to run that type of verification. The dealer can also check the entire history on your car back to the port it came in at and where its Pre-Delivery Inspection inspection was performed and any subsequent repairs that were performed with a work order.

cjre1

very good information... Let's talk. I have a question about the car finding sheet that they gave me before I bought the car.

cjre1

Guys,

What if the fuel pump does not have a part number on the top of it, like the TSB states. I looked at both of them and nothing. Any clue? Thanks.

Patrick K
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I had my fuel pump replaced today and my form says ITB09-013-P9202 is that the correct fuel pump or will I have to have it changed again?

cjre1

What if there is no part number on the fuel pump unit at all. I see a black dot and a blue line that is 1 inch long. No numbers on the fuel pump at all.

gbear
Car: 2006 350Z roadster, 2007 EX35 Infiniti, premium, sport wheels, auto

I had my EX in for service last Friday (May 29th), and the service rep mentioned the recall on the fuel pump as well as the power tilt and telescope. He looked mine up and said mine was a later model and not in the fuel pump recall (I have had mine for 6 months), so it is probably the same as the earlier recall. The later models are in the tilt/telescope steering wheel recall though.

cjre1

gbear,

May I ask what month and year was your car produced on? You can find this on the door jam pillar on the driver's side. Thanks.

rontek
Car: Had -2008 Infiniti EX35 Now - 2009 Infiniti FX50S

Steve,

As far as the steering column goes, I did not think it was a blanket recall, but more failure based. It also refers to owners in "Warmer Climates". When I bring my car in for the steering rack, should I request they test the column? I have had no problems with it and it appears to be functioning properly, but if it should be replaced, then I will have them do it.

Ron

gbear
Car: 2006 350Z roadster, 2007 EX35 Infiniti, premium, sport wheels, auto

EX was made in September 2008

cjre1

Thanks man.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I just went to my dealer today for an oil change (7k miles) and I asked him

about the TSB for steering. He told me my VIN# is not on that TSB. He

mentioned to me that I was the first car they had fixed for fuel pump noise.

(My fuel pump was replaced 0ct. 2008) and he said it might not need

replacement again. After 30 minutes he came back and told me that they

needed to replace the fuel pump again. He said it would be quick since

they now stock that new fuel pump for the new TSB. The part# for the

fuel pump they installed last year was 17040-1BA0B. So I guess they

didn`t have to replace it again. They probably just checked the part

number.The old part# is 17040-1BA0A (this one is causing that

humming sound on start)

So, with oil change, fuel pump replacement, filled 4 tires with nitrogen ($39)

I asked for it. total time I waited was 1.5 HOURS

(EX35 Journey AWD built May 2008)

Modified by AWGD8 at 2:52 PM 6/6/2009

cjre1

AWGD8,

Thanks for the update.

Here is my update. I brought my car into the shop this morning and the service manager just told me that he will need to keep my car for another 2-3 days to repair the outstanding issue (number 5) that I have with my car.

1. Battery was bad. Replaced battery.2. Oil was dirty because the car sat for 15 months. Changed to Mobil 1 Syn.3. Sun roof leaked water. Adjusted sun roof, now it aligns with roof. 4. Vibrating at 40mph. He fixed this issue. He reporgrammed the ECU. 5. Memory seat buttons do not work. He is still working on this issue. 6. Car vibrates at idle while in park. Problem fixed with new ECU update.7. SRS updated, no need to change the seat cushion.8. When you close drivers side door, bottom heat sheild rattles. Problem fixed.

Now I am a happy camper. I knew I had issues with my car.

Overall, out of all the cars that I have own through out my life, which was 15. The Infiniti EX35 Journey, fully loaded is one of the best cars that I own.

AWGD8

Today, I checked the receipt from my service yesterday and it shows that

they installed the same fuel pump (#17040-1BA0B) . They replaced my fuel

pump last Oct. 2008 and the old receipt shows this part# (#17040-1BA0B)

too. I`m just wondering if there is a small revision on the same part

number a year ago? Does this mean my service dept. is scamming

INFINITI, for reporting that they had replaced my fuel pump yesterday but

actually it had been done last year? I guess they only charged .25 hours

(maybe for verify if I have the updated pump) but they also wrote down

parts ; fuel pump and seal.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

The primary reason they are doing this is a preventative measure as they want to ensure everyone who has a remote possibility of being inconvenienced by this in the future.

I don't think anyone is trying to screw anyone else here. Some of the replacement pumps still do no have part numbers on them and are being replaced as a preventative measure.

AWGD8

That`s good to know Steve.

cjre1

All EX35 pumps were recalled. With or without part numbers on them. Mine had no number and was also recalled. Steve it right about this one. "Preventative measure".

Thanks Steve!!

tnedator

I had my fuel pump replaced last week. I had an appointment three weeks ago, but after driving two hours to the dealership and leaving it with them all day to replace the fuel pump and get the oil change, when I picked it back up they said they didn't have a fuel pump for the replacement. They weren't sure if my fuel pump had been given away or never ordered.

Anyway, the dealer took care of me, as before my next appointment, I rubbed up against a curb leaving a bank and took a gouge out of my rim. I had also ordered some touch up paint (for the paint, not the rim). So, last week when I brought the car in a second time for the fuel pump replacement, they had a mobile rim guy come and fix the rim and covered the charge and gave me the touch up paint, because of their mixup on the fuel pump the first time.

Anyway, my old pump had started getting REAL loud in the last month or so. I know longer have that screech on startup, so I'm glad I finally have it swapped out.

cjre1

That sounds good. WOW, sorry you had this issue. I know so many bad dealers, trust me I had three in my life. I now finally find a good one, thank God.That is what happened to me, my fuel pump got very loud. It was getting worst over each day, I had the car. That sucked.

I wish dealers would stop lying about parts and what they do to your car. It is almost like, you have to watch them the entire time.

I know so much about cars, after a repair, I check it out myself.

I use to build cars for Nissan and worked with Goodyear for a while. No money in it, so I changed my career to life.

hoppyZ06

I just left a post on our problem (zerothread?id=422192).

We had the noisy fuel pump issue which was resolved with the pump being replaced. The car has stalled twice, dead in the water and would not start at all. Had to get it towed to the dealer which at first they stated, "The car started right up, we can't find anything wrong".

I talked with the service rep and mentioned that the pump had already been replaced and that's when we noticed the "stalling". They were finally able to get it to stall out and the culprit was the fuel pump.

I'll have more specifics (part #'s, etc...) tomorrow and will post it then.

If your EX sputters, has limited acceleration (even at WOT), or just flat out dies on you... it's the fuel pump!

scottt
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 RWD Journey

Does this apply to the 2009 EX35's? Scott

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”