New to Infiniti

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
jakenbake
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35

I just bought my first Infiniti, a 2009 EX35, after the hybrid system in my Lexus RX400h crapped out on me. So far I love it but I have a few questions about it.

1. There is only a puddle light on the driver's side? Really?! That is stupid...Has anyone added an OEM puddle light to the passenger side?
2. From what I can tell, I have the Journey...The tech pages on this site state that the Journey came standard with power folding mirrors, but I haven't seen a switch to fold them. Is that just an error on the spec sheet?
3. Lexus/Toyota's tech website is openly available to the public. The site lists all the wiring diagrams, repair manuals, accessories catalog, EVERYTHING...Does Infiniti have something like that? I would really like the get the wiring diagrams for the car.
4. I am trying to figure out where to place an amp for a subwoofer...So far i have seen most people remove the spare tire. Anyone have a better idea of where to place the amp?
5. The spec sheet also stated that an in-dash 6-CD changer was standard with the upgraded sound and navigation...I have the Bose, Music Box, and Navigation but I don't seem to have the CD changer...Is that another typo?
6. Lastly, is there a good place to find out what OEM accessories were offered for the MY. Specifically, was there a factory remote start option?

Some things that I plan on doing to the car in the near future:

1. Wire the fog lights to come on with the ignition to act as DRLs.
2. Add accent lighting to the footwells and interior door handles, matching the purple rings.
3. Possibly convert the incandescent bulbs to LED...But i might not as I think the LED light will not look good against the chocolate leather at night.
4. I was going to add a module to make the windows roll up automatically but there is no point since the rear windows don't operate with the remote. (Sad about that one)
5. Figure out a solution to the puddle light.
6. Replace the ugly aftermarket wheels with OEM wheels. (If anyone wants to sell their 18 inch OEM wheels, hit me up)
7. Wire the parking lights to illuminate as I approach the car.
8. Wire the stereo to stay on until I lock the car or five minutes...whichever comes first.
9. Replace battery with Optima Yellow Top.
10. Have the wood panels replaced under warranty.

Sorry if any of these topics have been discussed before. I am new to this forum so I am still learning how to use it.
Thanks for any input.

ggalloro
Car: 2012 EX35

What is Toyota tech web site address. My other vehicle is a Toyota with a few problems (what a surprise) that I need to correct.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

jakenbake wrote: 2. From what I can tell, I have the Journey...The tech pages on this site state that the Journey came standard with power folding mirrors, but I haven't seen a switch to fold them. Is that just an error on the spec sheet?

3. Lexus/Toyota's tech website is openly available to the public. The site lists all the wiring diagrams, repair manuals, accessories catalog, EVERYTHING...Does Infiniti have something like that? I would really like the get the wiring diagrams for the car.

6. Lastly, is there a good place to find out what OEM accessories were offered for the MY. Specifically, was there a factory remote start option?

Sorry if any of these topics have been discussed before. I am new to this forum so I am still learning how to use it.
Thanks for any input.
I'll try to address these three points the best I can.

The option called "power folding mirrors" is both sneaky and dumb. Technically, the naming is correct as they are "power mirrors" and they do "fold", but those two features are independent of each other; it should probably be called something like "folding power mirrors" instead. And I don't think Infiniti is the only car maker who does this. I'm not sure what other auto makers call the "real" power folding mirrors though. Maybe they throw the word "automatic" in there somewhere.

The Factory Service Manuals (which should have most of what you're looking for) are posted in a thread in the announcement section at the top of the EX35/EX37/QX50 forum. They can also be found at this link: ex35-owner-service-manuals-tsb-s-t503618.html

I do recall somebody posting a thread a while back about getting an OEM remote start system installed by the dealership. I'm sure if you use the Nicoclub search function in this forum you'd be able to find the thread.

Welcome to the forum.

Chelsea John
Car: EX35

4. You know there's actually a subwoofer speaker in the middle of the spare wheel ? I had to check it myself to believe it !!
been meaning to disconnect it to test how good it really is. Probably do so when it get warmer out.

5. I Believe the earlier EX's had the six changer . Later models introduced the Music Box with a 9Gb hard drive, thus they made the indash only a single CD unit. You can copy CDs directly to the HD. Also the usb port is in the center arm rest can play mp3's.

Hope this helps.I too am a new owner of a few months now , so still learning .

jakenbake

Ggallor - The site is https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... ager/t3/ti

Thanks for the input guys. I got all excited when I thought it might have power folding mirrors. But I can see how the lack of a comma confused me there. I did find an aftermarket remote start on amazon that works with the factory remote. You just press lock three times on the remote and the car will start. I will likely buy that when it gets a little warmer. I also found that Infiniti tech site and got all my wire locations for the things I want to modify. Yay!

Still trying to figure out the best place for the amp though. I will likely remove the back tire and the crappy OEM sub and just use the space under the floor board for the amp and sub.

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

jakenbake wrote:Ggallor - The site is https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... ager/t3/ti

Thanks for the input guys. I got all excited when I thought it might have power folding mirrors. But I can see how the lack of a comma confused me there. I did find an aftermarket remote start on amazon that works with the factory remote. You just press lock three times on the remote and the car will start. I will likely buy that when it gets a little warmer. I also found that Infiniti tech site and got all my wire locations for the things I want to modify. Yay!

Still trying to figure out the best place for the amp though. I will likely remove the back tire and the crappy OEM sub and just use the space under the floor board for the amp and sub.
Can you share a link to the remote start that you found? I have some friends that do remote starts for a living, and I would ask for their opinions on it too

jakenbake

CustomLowz

Awesome. Please let me know how you like this, because I have (2) vehicles that I would love to install this into. My 2011 EX35 and my moms 2009 Murano

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Welcome to the forum.

Does anybody know why the above remote starter won't work on a 2008?

How come the model years starts off with 2009?

ggalloro
Car: 2012 EX35

jakenbake

My projects for the car are all underway but the one I am not willing to spend much money on is replacing the aftermarket rims with OEM. Soooo...If anyone here is in the Phoenix area and has been wanting chrome rims for their car and is willing to trade their OEM rims, then take a look at my Craiglist add. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/wan/4905909020.html

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

jakenbake wrote:My projects for the car are all underway but the one I am not willing to spend much money on is replacing the aftermarket rims with OEM. Soooo...If anyone here is in the Phoenix area and has been wanting chrome rims for their car and is willing to trade their OEM rims, then take a look at my Craiglist add. [url]<a class="vglnk" href="http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/wan/4905909020.html[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>phoenix</span><span>.</span><span>craigslist</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>cph</span><span>/</span><span>wan</span><span>/</span><span>4905909020</span><span>.</span><span>html</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>]
I know someone on G37 forum with a stock G37 coupe non staggered rims. Great rims and great price,but you pay for shipping. PM sent for the link...

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

change those wheels QUICK ~! :wtf2:

jakenbake

Right?! The wheels are totally not my style!

This weekend ended up being really busy so I didn't finish the projects I wanted to on the car. But I did get my box built for the new sub. It will go where the spare tire used to be and bolt down to the existing spare tire mount. Just have to get the new 12" shallow-mount woofer in the mail.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Nice!
Exciting to do stuff to your new ride. Who knows what the original owner was thinking with those, but yes - you should be able to get some G37 or M35 wheels that might look real nice.

For your stereo upgrade, are you hooking the new sub up with the existing sub wires (just upgrading your sub?)

jakenbake

Yeah. i used the signal wires from the factory harness and ran power from the battery.

AWGD8

Did you get my PM?

jakenbake

I got it but for the life of me I cannot find a reply button. No offense to NICO, but ClubLexus was a much more user friendly site.

I agree with you though, $500 is a steal. But with moving to Phoenix from Portland in Novemeber and unexpectedly having to get a new car, my wallet is looking really empty. That is why I am so interested in a trade. Hopefully something works out with the rims but if not I will just wait a few months and buy some OEM rims off craigslist.

jakenbake

I finished a few projects this weekend.

The first project I finished was my custom sub box. It takes the place of the spare tire and bolts on to the old spare tire bolt. I also changed the wiring for the amp by taking the signal from the wires running between the head unit and the Bose amp. These wires provided a more full range than the wiring for the Bose sub. All of it fits nicely under the floorboard.

The second project I finished was the foot well accent lighting.

I also finished wiring the fog lights to act as DRLs and I wired the parking lights to come on as the car senses me approaching with the smart key. They will also come on if I use the unlock button on the remote.
http://youtu.be/SZ1WhcPaThI

Next projects: Add accent lighting to door handle cups. Add puddle light to passenger side. Add Dynamat.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

sounds like you are busy and handy. Interested in the wiring to turn our fog light into DRLs.

I changed all my interior lights to LEDs (as well as the running lights and license plate lights), and the footwell lights to blue LEDs. Huge difference!
You need some aluminum pedals now too~~!

Portland to Phx. You should love Phx, until June-September! ;)

jakenbake

Haha...I am from Phoenix originally so I kind of remember what I am in for. But this will be my first summer in a while. Eeks.

Aluminum pedals would look great with the lights at night. I left my OEM foot well lights though so when the interior lights are on all you can see is the incandescent light. I also thought of changing all the interior lights to LED but decided that with the brown leather the incandescent looked better.

The DRL is pretty easy if you are a handy person. Here is my sketch of how I wired it. Not sure if it will make sense or not but I will try and make a step by step later for you.Image

jakenbake

I uploaded a better video of the lights and deleted the old video off of Youtube. Here is the new link. http://youtu.be/4B7kd5FM4hs

AWGD8

jakenbake wrote:I uploaded a better video of the lights and deleted the old video off of Youtube. Here is the new link. [url]<a class="vglnk" href="http://youtu.be/4B7kd5FM4hs[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>youtu</span><span>.</span><span>be</span><span>/</span><span>4B7kd5FM4hs</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>]
Thanks for sharing! That is neat!

Don't you want to change the foglights to LED since those Foglight bulbs are hot! That won't last for long as a DRL. :crazy:

jakenbake

I probably will change them to LEDs at some point. But they should last either way. The Canadian model uses the fog lights as DRLs from the factory.

Chelsea John

jakenbake wrote:I probably will change them to LEDs at some point. But they should last either way. The Canadian model uses the fog lights as DRLs from the factory.
Glad you posted this as I had noticed this a month ago and was thinking there was an issue, especially with all the posts about light upgrades.
So the fogs being also the DRL is the norm ( in Canada ) :chuckle:
Thanks....
Ps. Nice job on the Sub....

jakenbake

Thanks Chelsea... I grew up with a Chelsea John so everytime I see your name it throws me for a loop. Haha.

Well yesterday I finished adding a puddle light to the passenger side mirror and replaced the drivers side puddle light with the same version I used for the passenger side. I also added accent lighting to the door handle cups in the front doors and will be adding accent light to the back doors over the next couple days.

Pics to come!

Chelsea John

jakenbake wrote:Thanks Chelsea... I grew up with a Chelsea John so everytime I see your name it throws me for a loop. Haha.

Well yesterday I finished adding a puddle light to the passenger side mirror and replaced the drivers side puddle light with the same version I used for the passenger side. I also added accent lighting to the door handle cups in the front doors and will be adding accent light to the back doors over the next couple days.

Pics to come!
Being from the UK , now living in Canada, its my Nickname as per my support for Chelsea Football Team in West London.
You certanly wasn't kidding with your 'list' of things to do. Good for you.
I'm still waiting for the weather to improve so I can do an Oil Change !!!

jakenbake

Here are pics of the puddle light mod, the purple foot well accent lights, and the purple door cup accent lights. Image

CustomLowz

jakenbake wrote:Thanks Chelsea... I grew up with a Chelsea John so everytime I see your name it throws me for a loop. Haha.

Pics to come!
What did you use for the Puddle light on the passenger side? Its something that Ive been wanting to do for a long time now.

jakenbake

I used these LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs. I removed the dim puddle light from the drivers side and replaced it with the same one as the passengers side.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -led/1141/

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”