New to 4th gen maxima need urgent help

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
nitink
Car: 95 maxima GLE, 95 volvo 850

Hi Guys, I have recently got 4th Generation maxima 95 model GLE with about 106K miles. Car was not running for last 2 yrs and I need urgent help with following

1) Car failed smog check, the smog shop told me to replace TPS. and quoted me 230$ for TPS (150$ part and rest labor). Can some one please tell me how can I change TPS.

2) Filtering thru records I found car needs Knock sensor. today I filled it with 87 octane gas at arco and it knocks horribly. Any suggestion on how to change knock sensor

3) ABS & CHeck engine lights are on, I have an OBD-2 reader how can I extract the codes

5) Transmission slips badly. the car is running on Dexon III ATF. is there anything I can do about it. Will switching to Nissan ATF or adding Lubeguard will help?

6) Other than oil change no service is done on car ever. Can anyone suggest me what service should I start with car has 106kmiles.

7) Whats the good place to buy maxima parts

8) Car is missing Bose music system, instead it has a cheap clarion music system with 2 speakers, is there any place I can buy bose.

9) Car is lowered by 3 inches, have strut tower and K&N Cold air intake., Intake is horribly dirty as is engine bay , any suggestion on how to clean them I am worried about tonz of wires in bay.

Also i am wondering can any maxima knowledge guy spend some time with me and show me around the engine bay, it seems far to complex. I am in Zip code 95008 (Campbell CA). In return I can treat the person with TJ's special red wine and cheese.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

First off, welcome to NICO!!!!!

1. You need to tell us what it is failing in emissions.. CO, Hydrocarbons, NOx, etc???

2. The intake manifold is gonna have to come off im pretty sure..... Its not gonna be fun but its doable.... Others can chime in better.

3. Since its a 95, an OBDII reader wont work... Youll just need to pull the ECU out and see what codes are being thrown. Not very hard at all.

4. I doubt anything will help, but since the car has been sitting for a while yo umight double check the ATF level.. putting in fresh fluid may help, but dont spend a ton of money on it cuz its gonna need a new trans eventually.....

5. Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, trans fluid, trans filter, etc....

6. You cna get them from http://www.everythingnissan.com Their contact information is in my sig.. Call and ask for Joe at 1888-216-5328, tell him Wes at NICO sent you

7. Youd be better off replacing it with a good aftermarket system, bose is expensive and not relaly worth it IMO... its a nice system if it works, but its generally not worth fixing...

8. You can get engine degreaser from autozone or any engine parts store, and that will do the job.. Then to get the remaining residue off, simply hose down the engine bay with a light mist, spray simple green or purple power on full strength, let it sit and then spray it down again, and wipe dry...

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Welcome.

1. Here's a writeup on the TPS. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/tps.html

2. Writeup on the KS. zerothread?id=148066

3. How to check codes. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html and what hey mean. zerothread?id=126542

4. Don't know what happened to 4 lol

5. Nissan recommends Nissan Matic D fluid for the auto, not sure if it's going to help, but it sure couldn't hurt.

6. Everything Wes wrote.

7. Everything Wes wrote.

8. Everything Wes wrote. If you're set on getting another Bose, try http://www.car-parts.com for junk yards in your area.

9. Use K&N cleaner and filter oil to clean and recharge your filter.

nitink
Car: 95 maxima GLE, 95 volvo 850

Thanks a lot guys.

In the smog the emissions levels were fine, but check engine light came up and shop told me to replace tps.Is it anyway possible that codes can be wrong due to some wiring issue, is there any recall or bullitin.

FOr transmission I did flush and now shifting is better but it still slips occationally. When I give gas engine revs but car doesnt pick up any speed. I release gas and try again it works. But its working much better may be tranny had bad oil. In records solonid was replace 3 yrs (14K miles) back by aamco. Now tranny is running Dexon-III oil from speedee, Will shifting to Synthetic or nissan atf improve something.

Modified by nitink at 5:59 PM 7/19/2006
Modified by nitink at 9:02 AM 7/20/2006

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”