"New" owner's first impressions... 1996 i30

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
rhetoric

Bought a 96 i30 (luxury -- leather) w/ 150K(?) miles and virtually no rust for $1800 from Cr**gslist. I really wanted a Saab, but this seemed like a good deal and I couldn't pass it up. I think of the Infiniti as "sensible shoes."

I was just looking for a third car for around town since the daughter is now commuting to college (she gets the 1990 Olds!). I'm not expecting this thing to go to Nome and back.

Car spent most of its life in Charlotte, so the rust isn't bad (a big issue in Rochester NY).

On the plus side? Quiet! Luxurious! Comfortable. Tight (tracks straight and true w/ NO vibration at speeds well over the legal limit!). Babe magnet (kidding). The previous owner just put $500.00 of new tires on it (didn't plan on selling). I, a person who has driven Fords, and Oldsmobiles and Chevettes, get to say, "I think I'll take the Infiniti."

On the down side? The odometer is broken. I have reason to trust the seller who estimated 150K. It's stuck at 105K. I have to put premium gas in it! No owner's manual. You really fall into the car. It sits LOW (small potatoes).

On the iffy side? The transmission shifts a bit hard when it's cold. Seems to soften up after the first time through the gears. I haven't changed the transmission fluid yet. The car surges EVER so slightly under acceleration. Fine at speed and the surge is barely noticable, but it's rhythmic and noticable. I need to check and see if it's reflected in the tach.

I'm running Chevron's fuel system cleaner right now and will then change the oil and tranny fluid. Overall, I'm pleased.

Any advice is welcome!

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

rhetoric wrote:Bought a 96 i30 (luxury -- leather) w/ 150K(?) miles and virtually no rust for $1800 from Cr**gslist. I really wanted a Saab, but this seemed like a good deal and I couldn't pass it up. I think of the Infiniti as "sensible shoes."

I was just looking for a third car for around town since the daughter is now commuting to college (she gets the 1990 Olds!). I'm not expecting this thing to go to Nome and back.

Car spent most of its life in Charlotte, so the rust isn't bad (a big issue in Rochester NY).

On the plus side? Quiet! Luxurious! Comfortable. Tight (tracks straight and true w/ NO vibration at speeds well over the legal limit!). Babe magnet (kidding). The previous owner just put $500.00 of new tires on it (didn't plan on selling). I, a person who has driven Fords, and Oldsmobiles and Chevettes, get to say, "I think I'll take the Infiniti."

On the down side? The odometer is broken. I have reason to trust the seller who estimated 150K. It's stuck at 105K. I have to put premium gas in it! No owner's manual. You really fall into the car. It sits LOW (small potatoes).

On the iffy side? The transmission shifts a bit hard when it's cold. Seems to soften up after the first time through the gears. I haven't changed the transmission fluid yet. The car surges EVER so slightly under acceleration. Fine at speed and the surge is barely noticable, but it's rhythmic and noticable. I need to check and see if it's reflected in the tach.

I'm running Chevron's fuel system cleaner right now and will then change the oil and tranny fluid. Overall, I'm pleased.

Any advice is welcome!
Welcome to NICO!

Congrats on the purchase. I would, first of all, look into getting a used cluster from a salvage yard; maybe one close to 150K mi? Second of all, you don't need a stinking owner's manual, even though they can be found on eBay for cheap. Here's the FSM (Factory Service Manual). You can't really go wrong by changing the fluids, especially the coolant given the fact that you're in NY. I would change the oil/filter, trans fluid/filter/pan gasket, thermostat (no gasket needed, use gray RTV) and coolant. Maybe look at the air filter and pull a spark plug or two. Also check out the gear bellows (rack and pinion boots) for possible leaking.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Check the CV axles to see if they are cracked. If they need replacingthat might cure the "tranny" problem

The transmission appears to be the main issue $ wise. Change thefluid. I think the filter is made of metal so you might be able tojust get by with the pan gasket on the change unless the metalscreen is warped or deformed. I have use Lucas trans additiveand it really helped my tranny shift better. If you are pulling atrailer or have severe service, you might want to put on a trannycooler. You might want to check your throttle position sensor tobe sure that is working correctly. It pops up as a possilbe problemin the Maxima FSM.

If that doesnt work then pray it's just the valve body gone badI think.

Might check your idle air control valve to see if its carboned up. Thismight help your idle or surge.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

NutriaforBreakfast wrote:Check the CV axles to see if they are cracked. If they need replacingthat might cure the "tranny" problem

The transmission appears to be the main issue $ wise. Change thefluid. I think the filter is made of metal so you might be able tojust get by with the pan gasket on the change unless the metalscreen is warped or deformed. I have use Lucas trans additiveand it really helped my tranny shift better. If you are pulling atrailer or have severe service, you might want to put on a trannycooler. You might want to check your throttle position sensor tobe sure that is working correctly. It pops up as a possilbe problemin the Maxima FSM.

If that doesnt work then pray it's just the valve body gone badI think.

Might check your idle air control valve to see if its carboned up. Thismight help your idle or surge.
I forgot to mention the axles; mine were replaced before I got my Maxima. As far as the trans filter is concerned, it comes with the gasket (in most cases) and there's only one bolt holding it in. Might as well swap it IMO.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

I know on mine there are about 9 bolts holding on the transfilter/screen

rhetoric

Thanks for the advice. A buddy who was, in a former life, a tranny technician said I'm being too fussy about the shifting and that a little hard is better than too smooth (slipping smooth, anyway). I'll change the kit tomorrow anyway. The surging seems to be mostly in 3rd gear and it's very subtle, but it is reflected in the tach. Same buddy said he couldn't feel the surge, but I can. Tromp on the accelerator and it goes away, so maybe I just need to be a lead foot. I did put 89 regular unleaded in w/ a can of chevron and I want to run a full tank of chevron through before I change the oil for the first time. So maybe a tank of premium will cure the surge. One CV joint was replaced this summer. I need to check the other for leaks. The internet/youtube/forums like this, have made me way more courageous when it comes to home auto repair.

Great website/forum. Most helpful! I bought it for $1800 and I've had it for one week now -- that's just over $257.00 a day. Not bad!

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

NutriaforBreakfast wrote:I know on mine there are about 9 bolts holding on the transfilter/screen
My bad. Last time I changed trans filter on the max (RIP) was in 2007.

ABNRML4U
Car: NISSAN B-13

Everyone here is nice and cool.

diehard96
Car: 96 i-30 241000 miles

hey man I have a 96 with 243,000 miles runs like a top.you can buy a cluster from a junk yard for 60.00,beats 600 I had to change mine out because of my tach didn't work.I think you got a real good pair of shoes.dont baby this car it wants to go go go. I sorta drive mine like i stole it and I'm 60 yrs old,I guess you might say I'm still a gearhead at heart Oh by btw if I were you I would look in the junkyards for just about all of my parts if you can retail prices are crazy.I had to put a new powe sun roof in mine,new 3 grand used 100 us dollars I did my own install just took my time its a car you can work on yourself.Hey man enjoy ride the roads just don't give it to your daughter ha ha ha

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”